Shogun

Clem72

on Hulu. Anyone watching? Crazy good.
Read the book a LONG time ago. If this were Netflix or Disney I would assume they got Dylan Mulvaney or Angela Bassett to play John Blackthorne, but since it's Hulu (which isn't 100% Disney owned, yet) I may have to watch it.

NOTSMC

Read the book a LONG time ago. If this were Netflix or Disney I would assume they got Dylan Mulvaney or Angela Bassett to play John Blackthorne, but since it's Hulu (which isn't 100% Disney owned, yet) I may have to watch it.
Whelp there is an awful lot of Asian people in it. Not sure where you stand on that. On the other hand, the story line is engaging and the sword fights amazing. Definitely worth the watch.

Kinnakeet

Whelp there is an awful lot of Asian people in it. Not sure where you stand on that. On the other hand, the story line is engaging and the sword fights amazing. Definitely worth the watch.
More important ? is there nude or half nude asian women!

SamSpade

Wife and I started watching it. I like it, but I wish it wasn't so much in subtitles. THAT sort of thing diminished my enjoyment of Monsieur Spade - it was hard constantly reading the subtitles in French, especially when they talked FAST and they appeared VERY briefly on the screen.

I understand that people speak Japanese - and French - and other languages. AND the fact that they do not know each other's languages figures greatly in the storyline. But I'm willing to handle the fact that once people understand each other, it becomes ok to have everyone speaking the same language - that they may be speaking Japanese, but me as a viewer hears English.

Anyway, more or less enjoying it.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Wife and I started watching it. I like it, but I wish it wasn't so much in subtitles. THAT sort of thing diminished my enjoyment of Monsieur Spade - it was hard constantly reading the subtitles in French, especially when they talked FAST and they appeared VERY briefly on the screen.
FX5rFS9UIAAa-hG.jpg

SamSpade

--------------
What I REALLY hate is reliance on the viewer seeing TEXTS - which are usually very small on our screen and I cannot read without glasses - and often as not, they represent a crucial plot element.

Fortunately we have TiVo so we can back it up and pause - but it's increasingly becoming standard in plot devices.

Oh another thing they do, which pisses me off - going off on a tangent - is starting an episode with a brief teaser showing the "present" - and then restarting the show with something like "Two days ago..." until you reach the opening sequence. It's used a LOT lately and more frequesntly, and I believe it's bad story-telling. (Also, any show that makes a LOT of references in flashbacks - you know, so you as a viewer can understand how the character is, why he is).

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
(Also, any show that makes a LOT of references in flashbacks - you know, so you as a viewer can understand how the character is, why he is).
Yeah, but one exception I had to that was the Highlander Series. They were a good feature in those shows.

Clem72

Asian people, in Japan? Why would you feel the need to point that out? Or were you trying to imply that pointing out gratuitous race-swapping is somehow racist and therefore I wouldn't want to see Asian people on screen? Note I said gratuitous, meaning where it's unnecessary and undermines the original intent. In this case a 17th century English navigator where both his gender and ethnicity are directly related to the plot of the novel (and I assume the show).

SamSpade

Asian people, in Japan? Why would you feel the need to point that out? Or were you trying to imply that pointing out gratuitous race-swapping is somehow racist and therefore I wouldn't want to see Asian people on screen? Note I said gratuitous, meaning where it's unnecessary and undermines the original intent. In this case a 17th century English navigator where both his gender and ethnicity are directly related to the plot of the novel (and I assume the show).
That's what irritates me about the "where are the black people" thing - this is actually based on history, albeit a litte loosely. In other movies, they go to great lengths to include people of different races when logically, there wouldn't be any. To include people with various sexual preferences, in societies or time periods that wouldn't be sympathetic to it.

Because far too often, they don't give a crap about telling a STORY.

Kinda like telling a joke but making sure it is "woke". It's not going to be funny.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
That's what irritates me about the "where are the black people" thing - this is actually based on history, albeit a litte loosely. In other movies, they go to great lengths to include people of different races when logically, there wouldn't be any. To include people with various sexual preferences, in societies or time periods that wouldn't be sympathetic to it.

Because far too often, they don't give a crap about telling a STORY.

Kinda like telling a joke but making sure it is "woke". It's not going to be funny.
Hell, Guinevere was made a black character in Merlin.

SamSpade

Hell, Guinevere was made a black character in Merlin.
And Heimdall is black, in the Marvel MOVIES. A black Norse God. With a Norse NAME. He is the brother of Sif - who is white.

But to be honest - I'm fine with Nick Fury being black. Samuel L Jackson makes everything cool.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
But to be honest - I'm fine with Nick Fury being black. Samuel L Jackson makes everything cool.
I didn't remember Heimdall.

Which is fine because he's not being portrayed as the WWII Fury from the comics. He's an updated version 70 years after.

NOTSMC

Maybe I was just :poke: ya. I don't see why EVERYTHING has to be turned into something political.

Clem72

And Heimdall is black, in the Marvel MOVIES. A black Norse God. With a Norse NAME. He is the brother of Sif - who is white.

See I don't actually care that much about Marvell race stuff because they already retconned the "Norse history". If they can be aliens and transformed blue giants (Loki) etc. they can be whatever race/ethnicity and it won't make much difference to the story. It's a little more annoying when they change genders of main characters, because it feels like it's being done to appease a group and not necessarily because it helps with the story but again comics are routinely "re-imagined" so as long as it's a good story I don't mind.

But stuff that is loosely historical, or where the actual race/gender/ethnicity is a major part of the story then it just feels like pandering to me. It doesn't feel like they genuinely picked the best person for the role (I.E. "we had an open casting call and turns out Michelle Rodriguez really does feel like the most authentic George Washington").