Shogun

Makavide

Not too talkative
I understand that people speak Japanese - and French - and other languages. AND the fact that they do not know each other's languages figures greatly in the storyline. But I'm willing to handle the fact that once people understand each other, it becomes ok to have everyone speaking the same language - that they may be speaking Japanese, but me as a viewer hears English.
Just started watching it on Hulu today, saw episode 1 with the subtitles. Then looked at the episode list and say they have an English dub version. Now watching episode 2 in English only, no need for subtitles. Much easier then trying to keep up with reading the text.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Just started watching it on Hulu today, saw episode 1 with the subtitles. Then looked at the episode list and say they have an English dub version. Now watching episode 2 in English only, no need for subtitles. Much easier then trying to keep up with reading the text.
I’m exactly the opposite, maybe because my hearing is going south. I get a lot more from reading. Books on tape are a no go for me.

SamSpade

I’m exactly the opposite, maybe because my hearing is going south. I get a lot more from reading. Books on tape are a no go for me.
Wife and I ALWAYS have captions on - helps when the person speaking says something we can't make out or God forbid, their accent makes it unintelligible. It's different when it is subtitled though - sometimes the actor is speaking something in their language so FAST that the subtitles flash and go away quickly. This was ABSOLUTELY the case with Monsieur Spade - I had to pause it often.