Should Non-Christians celebrate Christmas?

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Yes!

Christmas has it's roots in pagan tradition. The name may have been changed to trick people into worshipping someone else's demi-god, but the tradition has been around much longer than christianity.

Yule, Solstice, the feast of the son of Isis, Saturnalia...Christmas began in Germany. The earliest record of tree being decorated by christians was in 1521 in Germany. A Lutheran minister was opposed and said “Better that they should look to the true tree of life, Christ.”

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Some of the trappings have been around.

Christmas isn't about a tree or a wreath.

It may not be about a tree or a wreath, but those things were associated with the celebration before the christians started celebrating it and changed the meaning to suit themselves, then persecuted everyone who continued to celebrate it their way, instead of the christian way.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
So, they persecuted everyone who continued to do things like put trees in their houses and wreaths on their doors, and then adopted those trappings?

Does that make sense?

However, I'm not disagreeing that the trappings have roots other than Christianity. I'm disagreeing that they have much to do with Christmas.

No. They persecuted them for not doing it for the same reason. They still do it. Read some of the posts by christians. They make it out to be their celebration of their god.

You can paint it any way you want, but it doesn't change the fact that non-christians have just as much right, if not more, to celebrate the holiday.

T

toppick08

No. They persecuted them for not doing it for the same reason. They still do it. Read some of the posts by christians. They make it out to be their celebration of their god.

You can paint it any way you want, but it doesn't change the fact that non-christians have just as much right, if not more, to celebrate the holiday.

I agree....

"Sin wouldn't be so attractive if the wages were paid immediately."
Author Unknown

Aerogal

USMC 1983-1995
Would we, as Christians, want to have non-Christians join us in the celebration of Christ's birth? Isn't that what we're supposed to do, share ourselves and the teachings of Christ with others? If the celebration of Jesus' birth makes them curious to know more about Christianity, I say they are most welcome. I have celebrated Hanukkah and Passover with my Jewish friends, visited a Buddhist friend's temple and talked to the monks about Bhuddism and joined in with a celebration at the Cherokee reservations. None of these turned me away from Christian faith nor my belief in God. In fact I found similarities were striking! I enjoyed that they loved me enough as a freind to welcome me, and I welcome them!

As for Christams being Americanized - no. Read "A Christmas Carol" there's a line spoken by Scrooge that says Christmas has become commercialized! That was England in the 1840/50s.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
I'm a sorta non-believer, and I celebrate X-Mas by default. I just want the presents.

(yes, the use of X-Mas was absolutely intentional)

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Well, "Christmas" is a celebration of our God.

Certainly everyone has the right to put up a tree, celebrate time with their families, worship a fat Saint who hands out stuff, etc. Those things are not Christmas, those are secular/pagan trappings. I harbor no problems with that. I would just hope that those non-Christians understand that they're not celebrating Christmas, but a secular holiday.

Christmas has nothing to do with any of those things.
Okay.

B

Bronwyn

That is an entirely different topic, and many, including me, would disagree.

I am a christian... but...

If my neighbor wants to celebrate chsistmas and he's not... hey, it's a free country. Actually.. he can celebrate christmas on August 13th if he wants.

I mean... why not?

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
This is the question that should be asked. CHIRSTmas is a celebration of the birth of CHRIST. Why do non believers celebrate?

Non Mexicans should not celebrate Cinco de Mayo
Non Irish should not celebrate St. Patrick's Day
Hyphenated-Americans should not celebrate the 4th of July
Christians should not celebrate Halloween

... or you could mind your own business

B

Bronwyn

Non Mexicans should not celebrate Cinco de Mayo
Non Irish should not celebrate St. Patrick's Day
Hyphenated-Americans should not celebrate the 4th of July
Christians should not celebrate Halloween

... or you could mind your own business

:lmao:

Should Non-Christians celebrate Christmas?
<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

It's difficult to answer this question. It really depends on the proper weighting of a number of factors, including:

(1) Do they want to?
(2) Do they feel like it?
(3) Do they think it's a good idea?
(4) Do they think it will be fun to?
(5) Can they remember when it is?
(6) Are they allowed to?
(7) Do they have any other plans?

And, most important of all:

(8) Do they think they should?

Nucklesack

This is the question that should be asked. CHIRSTmas is a celebration of the birth of CHRIST. Why do non believers celebrate?

Originally the belief absorbed the holidays of non-believers to make conversion easier, so yes it was a celebration of the birth of Christ.

Originally (well originally after it stole the pagans holiday that is)

But today, in our society, Christmas is not solely a religious holiday, it is also a secular event.

Christians, with their need to get their beliefs and events recognized by Society, have only themselves to thank for the watering down of their own (well kind of their own) Holy Day.

The real question is why do Christian celebrate a day they know is not the day of their Saviours birth? Why do Christians insist on perpetrating the falsehood?

tiltedangel

we always see someone saying if they can't accept american ways, then go back to their own country. So now they celebrate christmas and some have a problem with that. Get over it. Also how do you know they are not christians? or what they would normally do for Christmas? they might even have another name for it? God doesn't choose who can celebrate him, so how can you?