Should Non-Christians celebrate Christmas?

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
I am a christian... but...

If my neighbor wants to celebrate chsistmas and he's not... hey, it's a free country. Actually.. he can celebrate christmas on August 13th if he wants.

I mean... why not?

My post was saying we do not live in a free country. We have lost many if not most of our freedoms. Our rights have become something those in governments seem to think they can dole out or limit as they wish.
  • try putting up the Ten Commandments on your desk if you are a civil servant
  • try saying you are a Christian in class in a public school if you are a teacher
  • try praying in school
  • try smoking in a public place - I am not a smoker
  • try carrying a gun in public in Maryland
I could go on, but I think you get the idea.

B

Bronwyn

My post was saying we do not live in a free country. We have lost many if not most of our freedoms. Our rights have become something those in governments seem to think they can dole out or limit as they wish.
  • try saying you are a Christian in class in a public school if you are a teacher
  • try praying in school

I understand now what you meant.
But we still have many freedoms, and the saying rolls off the tongue. :lol:

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
Non Mexicans should not celebrate Cinco de Mayo
Non Irish should not celebrate St. Patrick's Day
Hyphenated-Americans should not celebrate the 4th of July
Christians should not celebrate Halloween

... or you could mind your own business

Or in the sentiments of George Washington, there should be no hyphenated Americans.
"Citizens by birth or choice of a common country, that country has a right to concentrate your affections. The name of American, which belongs to you, in your national capacity, must always exalt the just pride of Patriotism, more than any appellation derived from local discriminations." -- George Washington (Farewell Address, 19 September 1796) Reference: George Washington: A Collection, W.B. Allen, ed. (515)

mAlice

professional daydreamer
  • try praying in school

This probably wouldn't be an issue if christians hadn't shoved there beliefs down everyone's throats for centuries.

thatguy

I am a christian... but...

If my neighbor wants to celebrate chsistmas and he's not... hey, it's a free country. Actually.. he can celebrate christmas on August 13th if he wants.

I mean... why not?

That would at least be closer to the date of the birth of christ as described in the bible, but who is counting anyway......

Larry Gude

Strung Out
This probably wouldn't be an issue if christians hadn't shoved there beliefs down everyone's throats for centuries.

You'd have preferred the Muslims won? Fact is, mankind chooses up sides to protect itself from one tribe or the other or to take stuff from one tribe or the other, from day one. The Christian tribe won. At least so far. There is no kumbaya. There is no live and let live. If not for Christianity, Islam would rule this planet. If Christianity fails now, Islam WILL rule this planet. And, perhaps, in our lifetimes.

glitch

Devil's Advocate
You'd have preferred the Muslims won? Fact is, mankind chooses up sides to protect itself from one tribe or the other or to take stuff from one tribe or the other, from day one. The Christian tribe won. At least so far. There is no kumbaya. There is no live and let live. If not for Christianity, Islam would rule this planet. If Christianity fails now, Islam WILL rule this planet. And, perhaps, in our lifetimes.

Done properly, I don't see why that would be an issue. Just take a look at Turkey. While they are technically an Islamic country, they have a secular governmental structure and do a decent job protecting freedom of religion for their citizens.

I don't think it's a matter of Christians are good, Muslims are bad. In my opinion, fanatics, whatever their religious beliefs, are the problem.

I vote for Buddhists to rule the planet!

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Done properly, I don't see why that would be an issue. Just take a look at Turkey. While they are technically an Islamic country, they have a secular governmental structure and do a decent job protecting freedom of religion for their citizens.

I don't think it's a matter of Christians are good, Muslims are bad. In my opinion, fanatics, whatever their religious beliefs, are the problem.

I vote for Buddhists to rule the planet!

Point taken but, I think in comparing the US to Turkey, my bags are NOT getting packed.

:buddies:

PS: I'll take Jerry Falwell over Osama bin Laden as well.

Nucklesack

• try putting up the Ten Commandments on your desk if you are a civil servant - Perfectly Legal and is evidence in cubicles and desks throughout the countryNo rights infringed
  • try saying you are a Christian in class in a public school if you are a teacher - happens everyday, maybe what you meant was try leveraging your Christian belief over the beliefs of other students that are in Public School? (this is more accurate)No rights infringed
  • try praying in school - Happens every day a teacher has to go into a disruptive classroom, and a student has to take a tough test. No rights infringed
  • try smoking in a public place - I am not a smoker Grey subject, the rights of a smoker do not override the rights of others
  • try carrying a gun in public in Maryland No Doubt

Happy Holidays

Toxick

Splat
This is the question that should be asked. CHIRSTmas is a celebration of the birth of CHRIST. Why do non believers celebrate?

Why not?

They have a few days off, there's pretty lights everywhere, people are being nicer to each other than they do the rest of the year (except at Walmart and Macy's), upbeat traditional music that everyone likes is playing, and the scent of peppermint, cinnamon and baking cookies permeates through many houses.

If they did all that stuff for Hannakah..... If they did that for ####ing Ramadan, I'd be celebrating too.

Why do non-christians celebrate - it's easy. Because they're human beings. They enjoy revelry and celebration as much as you do. Blood runs through their veins - not caustic satanic ichor.

None of the secular joyfulness I come across disturbs my celebration of the birth of Christ in the slightest. Usually, overall good cheer seems to make it better.

Merry Christmas to everyone!

Even you unwashed heathens.

tiltedangel

Why not?

They have a few days off, there's pretty lights everywhere, people are being nicer to each other than they do the rest of the year (except at Walmart and Macy's), upbeat traditional music that everyone likes is playing, and the scent of peppermint, cinnamon and baking cookies permeates through many houses.

If they did all that stuff for Hannakah..... If they did that for ####ing Ramadan, I'd be celebrating too.

Why do non-christians celebrate - it's easy. Because they're human beings. They enjoy revelry and celebration as much as you do. Blood runs through their veins - not caustic satanic ichor.

None of the secular joyfulness I come across disturbs my celebration of the birth of Christ in the slightest. Usually, overall good cheer seems to make it better.

Merry Christmas to everyone!

Even you unwashed heathens.

i like the way you think! Merry Christmas!!!!!!

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
Why does it matter?

It is a time to spread joy, whether you do it by buying gifts that others will enjoy, or spreading the Word of God.

It is a time to practice peace, through turning the other cheek, not arguing when someone wants to do/celebrate something that you don't ascribe to in your own life, or just letting someone else be.

It is a time to remember and practice love, for your family or perfect strangers.

Does it matter what day of the year or what we call that day?
NO!
It matters only that we do it!

And that, my friends, is the message of Christ and it resonates throughout all of the major religions on earth if you care enough to look.

ItalianScallion

Harley Rider
How thick can anyone's head be?? Muslims force it upon you my dear; not Christians. We offer it; if you don't want it, you're free to follow what/who you want. Not so with the muslims...the day is coming when you will be told what to believe. If you reject it, bye bye mAlice...Count your blessings here lady. :buddies:
Christmas has it's roots in pagan tradition. The name may have been changed to trick people into worshipping someone else's demi-god, but the tradition has been around much longer than christianity.
Do you consider Christianity as having it's start with Christ @ 2,009 years ago? Just wondering...
You keep saying "before or longer than Christianity". Truthfully, there was nothing before Christ since He's always been alive and created everything.
You'd have preferred the Muslims won? The Christian tribe won. At least so far. There is no kumbaya. There is no live and let live. If not for Christianity, Islam would rule this planet. If Christianity fails now, Islam WILL rule this planet. And, perhaps, in our lifetimes.
Actually, it's coming soon to a city near you...You're soo right Larry!