Patron

smc-schools.jpg

Attachments

• 1704774958997.png
    1704774958997.png
    41.1 KB · Views: 30

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
We close schools on account of rain now?

:twitch:
Flooding potential, most likely, along with trees coming down from the wind. The last I saw was four feet above mean high tide from the wind and enough rain to overflow streams and flood roads.

Then Hurricane Irene in 2011 flooded RTE 4 at Wayson's Corner, the only time in forty years I'd seen that happen, as well as flooding RTE 301 at Bortnick Ford with three or four feet. Destroyed about a hundred cars.

I remember the Veteran's Day storm in 1987 when kids in a lot of places ended up staying at school overnight. Or the cluster a few years ago when everything locked up and people sat in their cars for hours.

DaSDGuy

Ground is already saturated. Add another 1-2 inches of rain plus wind gusts 60+ MPH and trees down with power out. Not good for the kiddies to be out. Expect the juvies to be stealing Kias all evening.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Flooding potential, most likely, along with trees coming down from the wind. The last I saw was four feet above mean high tide from the wind and enough rain to overflow streams and flood roads.

The peak tide prediction for St. George Island is up to 4.9' now. Fortunately that peak is supposed to occur at midnight tonight.

At 4.9 feet the island is impassable for the most part. The last time we had a tide that high (Ernesto, 2006) we were running our Carolina skiff up and down 249 to make beer ru...er...um..to help rescue people.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I just noticed that a peak tide will occur around 1PM today and then recede to a low around 5PM before really going crazy. So yeah..let the kids out early right at a peak tide.... The 1PM peak today will result in some island road flooding at the usual lowest spots.

Wind and rain are probably a big concern elsewhere in the county...

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
A lot of our roads get flooded so the buses won't be able to get the kids home. Chaptico gets really bad.
Kinda like the area around where Chaptico Creek crosses Mechanicsville-Chaptico Road?

The School Bus drove through it through the seventies, eighties and nineties, that I know of.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Bottom line is that no matter what a school system does for weather someone, or multiple someones, will bitch.

Don't close and the kids get stuck, whether it's snow or ice or flooding and people will bitch.
Close because of snow or ice or flooding and people will bitch.

glhs837

Power with Control
The peak tide prediction for St. George Island is up to 4.9' now. Fortunately that peak is supposed to occur at midnight tonight.

At 4.9 feet the island is impassable for the most part. The last time we had a tide that high (Ernesto, 2006) we were running our Carolina skiff up and down 249 to make beer ru...er...um..to help rescue tallboys.

FIFY

GregV814

why, when I was a mere tadpole, I swam to school uphill, and ice skated back home... I fought the wind with a galvanized trashcan lid and wore rubber boots so lightening bolts wouldn't stop me from chopping wood for our log cabin... I studied at night by a bacon grease candle shimmering glitter....

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
why, when I was a mere tadpole, I swam to school uphill, and ice skated back home... I fought the wind with a galvanized trashcan lid and wore rubber boots so lightening bolts wouldn't stop me from chopping wood for our log cabin... I studied at night by a bacon grease candle shimmering glitter....
The coal furnaces and electric light made everyone soft.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
You were born in that cabin, that you'd built with your bare hands, right?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Bottom line is that no matter what a school system does for weather someone, or multiple someones, will bitch.

Don't close and the kids get stuck, whether it's snow or ice or flooding and people will bitch.
No bitching here...just gotta make sure I stock up on beer here shortly.

SamSpade

Meh. My wife sees the wisdom of erring on the side of caution, but I cannot recall a time when they did NOT and got caught with their pants down.
I can't remember when the kids got "stuck" unless it was traffic due to accident - or bus break down.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
It's the end of the world as we know it
It's the end of the world as we know it
It's the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine...