SMECO Bill

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
desertrat said:
You're right. I have heat pump with oil backup. Just installed last year and the overall savings are huge. I'm using WAY less oil and about 20% less electric.

It was sugarmama and that Ryken education paying off. I see she never missed a day of "holier than thou" class. Young and stupid, young and stupid. :lmao:

SeaRide

SamSpade said:
Has anyone tried saving electricity by:

Upgrading appliances?
Replacing heat pump?
Adding wood stove?
Replacing water heater with one of devices that heats it as needed?
Covering windows with those ugly thermal things?
Getting a programmable thermostat?
Replacing windows?
Use flourescents?

Anything else?

Just purchased the 2200 sq ft house in August '05.
built in '79
all windows and doors replaced few years ago
roof job done few years ago
new heat pump/new AC one year old when I purchased the house
caulking/insulation in good shape
water heater still new
woodstove hooked with pipe going up through the chimney (no air draft)

The electric bill was like 150-180 dollars a month

What I did:

upgraded to front loader (washer & dryer)
replaced the refrigerator w/ a new one
use dehumidifier/humidifier to control humidity which affect the air temp
replaced the light fixtures ( from chandeliers to ceiling fans)
replace air filter as needed
replace light bulbs to lower watts in certain areas

redo the programmable thermostat MY way, not my wife's
take colder shower to allow my wife to take hotter shower

My wife and I got into the habit of turning off anything when not in use.
I learned my way around my house without turn on the light just like any blind man would do.
My wife usually turn off the light when leaving the room.

Lately the electric bill are like 80-90 dollars a month (74 lowest, 92 highest)

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
We're in 3500sqft on 2 levels, and SMECO averaged $140 over the summer, and roughly double what it was last year. Basement is used for storage, and about 75% exposed but if I don't keep the vents open its too damp down there.

M

Mousebaby

OMG I'm jealous of all your little electric bills! My last SMECO bill was 447.00!!! We are in a 2800 sq.ft. 2 story house built in the 70's. I guess having 5 people is the big difference! :faint:

sugarmama

pixiegirl said:
The karma honey, the karma. :poorbaby:

ahhhhhh. I must have missed the part in your post about the 550 gal tank. Seriuosly though, if you had a "normal" sized tank, it would not be cheaper to go w/ a heat pump. Esp in an older house.
But, you're prob right since your tank is so large. :razz:

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
sugarmama said:
ahhhhhh. I must have missed the part in your post about the 550 gal tank. Seriuosly though, if you had a "normal" sized tank, it would not be cheaper to go w/ a heat pump. Esp in an older house.

What does the size of the tank have to do with how much fuel you use? If I had a smaller tank I'd be using the same amount of fuel just having the tank filled more often.

Boy am I glad I was able to quote you and capture that gem! :lmao:

mainman

Set Trippin
pixiegirl said:
What does the size of the tank have to do with how much fuel you use? If I had a smaller tank I'd be using the same amount of fuel just having the tank filled more often.

:roflmao:

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
sugarmama said:

Additionally, the age of the home has NOTHING to do with it. The shotty windows yes but not the home itself. Matter of fact we sold a house that was built in 2000 when we bought this one. The difference in how the house is insulated is remarkable. My house now stays even unless you're right up on a window; then you can feel a draft. The insulation in the ceiling as well as the floor keeps the temperature much more stable than a house with only the ceiling done as in our last house where you didn't feel a draft by the windows but the difference between say the kitchen and living room was noticable even though they were righ next to each other.

sugarmama

pixiegirl said:

DUH! You have smaller bills, even if you have more of them. DUh, pixie.

:stupid:

You caught me being :dork: twice today. Must be all those drugs i took while in ryken...

I assure you, it will never happen again!! :diva:

sugarmama

pixiegirl said:
Additionally, the age of the home has NOTHING to do with it. The shotty windows yes but not the home itself. Matter of fact we sold a house that was built in 2000 when we bought this one. The difference in how the house is insulated is remarkable. My house now stays even unless you're right up on a window; then you can feel a draft. The insulation in the ceiling as well as the floor keeps the temperature much more stable than a house with only the ceiling done as in our last house where you didn't feel a draft by the windows but the difference between say the kitchen and living room was noticable even though they were righ next to each other.

Now you're the tard. What i meant by age of the home is that it would most likely have less insulation, and "shotty" windows, etc etc.

:huggy:

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
sugarmama said:
Now you're the tard. What i meant by age of the home is that it would most likely have less insulation, and "shotty" windows, etc etc.

:huggy:

Read dumbass, my older home has MORE insulation. :killingme :huggy:

Go back to bed.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
sugarmama said:
DUH! You have smaller bills, even if you have more of them. DUh, pixie.

:stupid:

You caught me being :dork: twice today. Must be all those drugs i took while in ryken...

I assure you, it will never happen again!! :diva:

That stint didn't last very long since I just smacked your ass again. :diva: Bow down before the Queen! :drama:

sugarmama

pixiegirl said:
Read dumbass, my older home has MORE insulation. :killingme :huggy:

Go back to bed.

Not all older homes do though, Pixie. Hubby and i bought a fixer-upper a few yrs back, and it had virtually no insulation (it was built in the 60's also). :shrug:
Maybe you DON'T know everything about everything? :shrug: