Smow?

littlelady

God bless the USA
Gonna make damn sure my bourbon and stogie supply is up to snuff!

:lol:

My daughter is due any time to have her first baby. Her hub does snow plowing in the winter, so she is thinking she should be induced to cause less complications. She is full term and Emmy Lee is being stubborn about coming into the world. I think we will be going to Olney at any time for the big event(s). Mother Nature all over the place. Babies and snow! :jameo:

We (brother and I) were going to stop and pickup a couple 1950 Lincoln flathead V-8s in Roanaoke on Saturday and head on down to family's place in Danville.

Thinking we'll postpone a week.....
Might be a good idea. Forecast (and yes, I realize we have days to go and these are unreliable. But they're unreliable 1 day before, so......) was changed back up to 12+ inches and 5-8 the following day. I guess I'm heading to the parental unit's house to dig them out.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
It most definitely will not be anything major this upcoming weekend. 5 days is still way too far out to estimate snowfall totals.

That being said, I'd be ok with it. Makes for good duck/goose hunting.

For hunting, yes and no. At the beginning of the storm they'll be flying. The snow gets too deep the geese won't come onto the fields because there's no food and they move south. That screws up the rest of the season, which ends Feb. 3.

The shallower marshes are already starting to freeze over, so that's another variable.

PsyOps

Pixelated
Intellicast and Weather Underground calling for 8"-12" on Friday and another 1"-3" on Saturday. Weather Channel calling for 1"3" on Friday and Saturday.

Chris0nllyn

For hunting, yes and no. At the beginning of the storm they'll be flying. The snow gets too deep the geese won't come onto the fields because there's no food and they move south. That screws up the rest of the season, which ends Feb. 3.

The shallower marshes are already starting to freeze over, so that's another variable.

Well I have off Friday and Saturday. Field on Friday and a creek on Saturday. Keep them coming.

It has been a pretty unproductive season. Only got skunked 2-3 times all year, but haven't limited out just yet

Midnightrider

Well I have off Friday and Saturday. Field on Friday and a creek on Saturday. Keep them coming.

It has been a pretty unproductive season. Only got skunked 2-3 times all year, but haven't limited out just yet

with the first few snows the geese wont even notice. they will stick around here for quitre a while. Now they will sit on their roosts much longer and only fly once it has warmed up or they are scared off. If you are field hunting in the snow the best thing you can do is tear up the snow with a 4 wheeler or with your feet exposing the dirt and crops underneath. the geesee can see this from far off and will come to it. For hunting from the water or the filed you are going to need to keep the heavy snow off your decoys. Real ducks and geese dont let snow pile up on them.
Good luck

I really need a new pair of winter boots. Went out today and everything is sold out. Not only are they sold out, but the stores already have SPRING STUFF out. Bathing suits, garden stuff, swimming pool accessories..... redonkulous...

Chris0nllyn

with the first few snows the geese wont even notice. they will stick around here for quitre a while. Now they will sit on their roosts much longer and only fly once it has warmed up or they are scared off. If you are field hunting in the snow the best thing you can do is tear up the snow with a 4 wheeler or with your feet exposing the dirt and crops underneath. the geesee can see this from far off and will come to it. For hunting from the water or the filed you are going to need to keep the heavy snow off your decoys. Real ducks and geese dont let snow pile up on them.
Good luck

Yea, they didn't fly until after 10am last weekend (but the day before I got my first goose at 7:45) because of the fog.

The key is having locked up water up north. This cold air stays around long enough and they'll move south.

My decoys are fully flocked so it'll be a constant battle in the snow, but if the forecast stays, it won't start snowing until Friday afternoon. My biggest worry is Saturday morning. I'm supposed to make the trek to St. Inigoes. Not sure how the roads will be at 4am and calling for 8-12 inches overnight.

Honestly Saturday is what I'm most excited for. Just need to get the holes in my waders patched up or it could be a cold morning. lol

MrZ06

I love Texas Road House
Might be a good idea. Forecast (and yes, I realize we have days to go and these are unreliable. But they're unreliable 1 day before, so......) was changed back up to 12+ inches and 5-8 the following day. I guess I'm heading to the parental unit's house to dig them out.

I just talked to my meteorologist buddy on base. His advanced weather model shows us getting 18" between Friday and Saturday.

H

Hodr

There's about a million of those things on the lawn (and street) next to the Westbury community center. Pretty sure you could bag your limit with a slingshot.

I was looking at where my folks are, near Charlottesville, VA, ... they were supposed to get 12+ as of yesterday, 8-12" today. I have a sneaky suspicion this will rapidly downgrade.

...and then again, I might be wrong. Forecast for my parents area is now 12+ Friday and 8-12 Sat.

PsyOps

Pixelated
...and then again, I might be wrong. Forecast for my parents area is now 12+ Friday and 8-12 Sat.

Between Intellicast, WU, and Weather Channel it looks like the snow will track mostly to the west of the Chesapeake, and rain east.

afjess1989

Amount of F##Ks given, 0
Between Intellicast, WU, and Weather Channel it looks like the snow will track mostly to the west of the Chesapeake, and rain east.

Fox 5 said that southern maryland would be in a rain/snow band. We would start as snow then change to a wintery mix then end as snow, but we wont have any blockbuster numbers.

Fox 5 said that southern maryland would be in a rain/snow band. We would start as snow then change to a wintery mix then end as snow, but we wont have any blockbuster numbers.

It's going to change hourly for the next few days. A little while ago, Wunderground had us for 8-12" both Fri and Sat, no rain, so 16-24" total. Now it's 5-8", total 10-16".

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
It's going to change hourly for the next few days. A little while ago, Wunderground had us for 8-12" both Fri and Sat, no rain, so 16-24" total. Now it's 5-8", total 10-16".

It better smow. I got new smow boots!

FairyChatMom

Just me
If there is any appreciable accumulation, I hope the guy who plowed my driveway last year shows up again this year. I can't believe I forgot to get his name and number. I can shovel myself, but I don't want to. Sometimes the best tool for the job is cold, hard cash. We shall see...

littlelady

God bless the USA
If there is any appreciable accumulation, I hope the guy who plowed my driveway last year shows up again this year. I can't believe I forgot to get his name and number. I can shovel myself, but I don't want to. Sometimes the best tool for the job is cold, hard cash. We shall see...

Maybe, if you post what area/neighborhood you live in, other members might know who he is, and give you his name and number. I have seen amazing connections made on this forum before. Just a thought.

afjess1989

Amount of F##Ks given, 0
so the weather channel named the winter storms. Winter storm Ilias and Jonas...apparently there are two.