So I’m wondering, is it time?

NextJen

Raisin cane
I’ve been doing so much to treat my Boston Terrier with her Cushings Disease, now my Min Pin is having issues. Got him as a rescue in 2016. They estimated him to be between 5 and 6 then. He seems to have aged rapidly in the past year, and is really starting to decline in the last couple months. His back legs are really weak and he struggles to get up and stumbles a lot when he walks. I have to pick him up to take him out and bring him in because he can’t do steps any longer. Just in the past week he has started urinating inside.
He has moments when he will just stare at his food when I feed him. Sometimes he’ll take it from my hand. I’ve also been drizzling some veggie oil on it and/or soaking it a little to soften it.
He doesn’t seem to be in pain.
I’ll speak with the vet and take him in.
Just heavy on my mind tonight.

I’ve been where you are and looking back I realize I let it go at least a couple months beyond what would have been a more compassionate final sleep. To this day I regret waiting until I had no lingering question about whether she had any quality of life left. As a result I know she suffered at the end. I regret not doing it when I already knew she was uncomfortable and a bit distressed.

I think you already know the answer.

Grumpy

The hard thing about pets (in my case, dogs), is you typically outlive them. We've made that awful decision many times over the years. Hell, I've grieved more for my dogs than the majority of family that I have lost. I feel for you, it's not easy to do the right thing when the time has come.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I’ve been doing so much to treat my Boston Terrier with her Cushings Disease, now my Min Pin is having issues. Got him as a rescue in 2016. They estimated him to be between 5 and 6 then. He seems to have aged rapidly in the past year, and is really starting to decline in the last couple months. His back legs are really weak and he struggles to get up and stumbles a lot when he walks. I have to pick him up to take him out and bring him in because he can’t do steps any longer. Just in the past week he has started urinating inside.
He has moments when he will just stare at his food when I feed him. Sometimes he’ll take it from my hand. I’ve also been drizzling some veggie oil on it and/or soaking it a little to soften it.
:huggy:

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
The hard thing about pets (in my case, dogs), is you typically outlive them. We've made that awful decision many times over the years. Hell, I've grieved more for my dogs than the majority of family that I have lost. I feel for you, it's not easy to do the right thing when the time has come.
Exactly this

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member

It's a hard thing to do. I will always be satisfied with my decision, though, because it was the dignified thing to do for my Simon. He was 15 and had a wonderful pampered pet life. 🙏🙏♥️

DaSDGuy

I can't sugar coat it. It will be a gut punch. Pups always love their family 100%. They dont know any other way. Do the right thing for the pup and give him peace. Just be there when it is done so he can see you and feel loved. We lost two over a 7 week period and both licked our faces at the end.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

I'm sorry Jen. It's hard watching our babies get old. :frown:

Louise

Been through it many times. It is never easy. My first pet was a calico kitten I found in a tree in my yard in NOLA when I was 10. She lived 21 years and died 4 months before my first born. I have always had rescues, and had to put them down. Just remember we gave them the best life possible.The rainbow bridge is real. We will see our beloved pets again. I know your pain. Take care.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
They are part of our lives, but we are ALL of theirs.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Speaking of outliving, in case I do not outlive all of my critters (and I probably won't outlive the 12 year old Amazon parrot} I have been making a list of people who agree to take on critters I have when I go. I have yet to place the 2 horses but I figure at least 1 horse (23 years old) will be gone before me. I have a few cats yet to place also. It's never easy to let any go when they start to decline. My Buggy boy (dog) lost his ability to walk due to neurological issues in his back end so we had to let him go a few years. We never knew how old he was but had him for 9 years.

stgislander

PREMO Member
I completely understand what you are feeling. My wife and I made the decision yesterday and today at 4:13pm, we sent our 15-1/2 yr old Golden Retriever across the Rainbow Bridge. We felt terrible at the Vet's office. My wife cried that we tricked our girl into going to the Vet, because she didn't know she wasn't coming home with us. It's really hitting now that we are home. I kept looking at the floor next to the table while we were eating. The same spot were just this afternoon she was laying and I was giving her bits of my PB&J sandwich.

As DaSDGuy said, it's a gut punch. It hurts, but deep down we know we made the right decision. You will make the right decision too. :huggy:

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I completely understand what you are feeling. My wife and I made the decision yesterday and today at 4:13pm, we sent our 15-1/2 yr old Golden Retriever across the Rainbow Bridge. We felt terrible at the Vet's office. My wife cried that we tricked our girl into going to the Vet, because she didn't know she wasn't coming home with us. It's really hitting now that we are home. I kept looking at the floor next to the table while we were eating. The same spot were just this afternoon she was laying and I was giving her bits of my PB&J sandwich.

As DaSDGuy said, it's a gut punch. It hurts, but deep down we know we made the right decision. You will make the right decision too. :huggy:
Damn. Sorry.

I kept looking for my pal and expecting him to pop his head around the corner for a very long time after he was gone.

NextJen

Raisin cane
My wife and I made the decision yesterday and today at 4:13pm, we sent our 15-1/2 yr old Golden Retriever across the Rainbow Bridge.
I’m so sorry. :huggy:
I found a place on line called Lap of Love. They will come to you to euthanize your pet. I did this with my last Rott I had. He got to be home in his environment with me and the kids with him as he went to sleep. That’s what I want for my little guy now. They will be coming out on the 15th. I hope it’s a nice day so I can sit with him on the deck where he loves to lay and watch life go by on the canal. I’ve been blubbering most of the day thinking about it, but know it’s for the best. I’ll pamper and love on him for the remaining few days.

stgislander

PREMO Member
I found a place on line called Lap of Love. They will come to you to euthanize your pet. I did this with my last Rott I had. He got to be home in his environment with me and the kids with him as he went to sleep. That’s what I want for my little guy now. They will be coming out on the 15th. I hope it’s a nice day so I can sit with him on the deck where he loves to lay and watch life go by on the canal. I’ve been blubbering most of the day thinking about it, but know it’s for the best. I’ll pamper and love on him for the remaining few days.
Dr. Sarah at Three Notch told us about Lap of Love today. What a wonderful option to have.

Louise

Louise