Something wicked this way comes... (Joaquin)

Salvador

One Nation Under God
Island being hammered...solid 35-40 mph winds on east/north side....roads completely flooded..piers on both sides of my place badly damaged..trees going down everywhere.

But so far, the power is staying on. :buddies:

Better hold on Dorothy!

:killingme

littlelady

God bless the USA
Very thankful that Joaquin turned right. We have a ton of leaves, even green ones and downed branches just from the northeaster. Our puppy dog, Daisy, experienced high winds for the first time with this storm. She was very skittish when outside. Hope members like Gill and the rest that live in the low lying areas are ok.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
Very thankful that Joaquin turned right. We have a ton of leaves, even green ones and downed branches just from the northeaster.

Agree... we have a blanket of leaves on just about everything outside coupled with some limbs.

My husband put down seed about 2-weeks ago and I went out and watered it maybe twice before all this rain. I can see the tiny seedlings of grass popping up today. This past year, my husband has had to step up and take care of the yard because I am nursing a foot injury (torn Achilles Tendon and Plantar Fasciitis). I am not allowed to put a great deal of pressure on my foot until P.T. and doctor agree it is okay, so no heavy lifting. With treatment and shots, it can take 6 months to heal so for the Fall season, I'm out. It is just now starting to feel so much better but I don't want to back slide and screw up my progress. I won't even so much as carry around a leaf blower. I really want this to completely heal.

So................. my husband and sons will have to clean up this northeaster mess.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Agree... we have a blanket of leaves on just about everything outside coupled with some limbs.

I wish. We're getting hammered...

storm.jpg

littlelady

God bless the USA

My husband put down seed about 2-weeks ago and I went out and watered it maybe twice before all this rain. I can see the tiny seedlings of grass popping up today. This past year, my husband has had to step up and take care of the yard because I am nursing a foot injury (torn Achilles Tendon and Plantar Fasciitis). I am not allowed to put a great deal of pressure on my foot until P.T. and doctor agree it is okay, so no heavy lifting. With treatment and shots, it can take 6 months to heal so for the Fall season, I'm out. It is just now starting to feel so much better but I don't want to back slide and screw up my progress. I won't even so much as carry around a leaf blower. I really want this to completely heal.

So................. my husband and sons will have to clean up this northeaster mess.

Sorry to hear about your foot. My hub had the same thing happen from running. Hope yours heals quickly.

tipsymcgee

This was about an hour and a half before high tide. The only consolation we get is that easterly winds blow offshore thankfully. Tomorrow morning should be another doozy because it won't recede much....

joaquin.jpg

Popster

The wind is indeed howling and the tide is going four feet above normal. Pictures of neighbor's dock at last low tide. The water is now at the level of the deck and we're just past half tide on our way to high tide.

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

Dakota

~~~~~~~
Could you imagine if we now had a hurricane passing through today and tomorrow??? :doh:

It would have been a nightmare.

dgates80

Land of the lost
Do you dock owners not use deck screws in your deck blanks?
Or does the water have that much power?

The water has that much power , yes. Nails Vs. deck screws might make a small difference, but not much past a certain point.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
The water has that much power , yes. Nails Vs. deck screws might make a small difference, but not much past a certain point.
Yep, that water can be very destructive.

I would think nails would be preferred. Would a dock owner rather replace some missing or loose boards or possibly large intact sections of the dock and maybe dislodged pilings too?

Popster

In a cane or TS it doesn't really matter. Both nails and stainless screws will pull out if the water can really work on them. The best has been the ringed stainless nails shot in with a nail gun; they will hold and prevent a lot of rebuilding in most storms.