speaking of customer service

puggymom

Yep, you been in line for 5 minutes and the last person there for 5 seconds, they quickly head to the line that just opened up, no shame to their game. Once I did see a cashier say no hold up those people were in front of you first.

Its annoying when other customers do it but it really irritates me when the store employees do it more though. It's like they care more about the appearance of a small line then the customer who was waiting longer.

slotpuppy

Ass-hole
On Saturday, I stopped at the Lowes in Waldorf to pick up a few hardware items for a few small repairs I was making at home. After picking up my items, I proceeded to the checkout. There were only 2 cashiers open (On a Saturday!) Not only were there several people in each line, the cashiers moved at a glacial pace (this may be an insult to glaciers). I started to notice that everyone in line were growing impatient. 2 customers in the other line gave up, abandoned their carts right there in line and walked out of the store. No one at Lowes even noticed (Or cared). A woman behind me in line did the same. She put her items down and walked out. Shortly after, I did the same. I drove 3 minutes to Home Depot. While there, I saw two of the 3 customers who had walked out of Lowes. I picked up the items I needed, walked up to a self Checkout, scanned my items, paid, and was out of the store in no time. I think I'll skip Lowes from now on and just go straight to Home Depot!

I gave up on the waldorf lowes, I go to laplata now. They have much better service.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
When I was growing up everyone would wave to everyone in St. Mary's. As a kid I used to laugh at my dad who seemed to always have his hand up to give a greeting to someone. As more and more people started moving in from other areas I noticed the returned waves were getting less and less. There was a lady that called my mom and threatened to call the cops on the guy that waved at her and her daughter who had just moved on to my parents road. My mom laughed and explained that it was her husband and he waves to everybody. I am not faulting the ones who moved here because they have their own way of doing things but I do miss the occasional friendly gesture.

Time to connect the dots, folks. If you live here the moveins from Montgomery, Howard and Baltimore Counties think everyone here is a latent pedophile, lives in a trailer park, uses meth and deals oxy. And is married to their cousin, if not their sister.

But, they just love it here but this is what has to change................

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Yep, you been in line for 5 minutes and the last person there for 5 seconds, they quickly head to the line that just opened up, no shame to their game. Once I did see a cashier say no hold up those people were in front of you first.

It's easier for the last person to move than the one that's next to check out.

C

czygvtwkr

I was actually pleasantly surprised about the service at the MVA when I moved here. I've never had a problem there

And speaking of the supervisors, it seems like there are too many chiefs and nit enough indians any more. I also wonder about Wal Mart and whether the cashiers are permitted to hand you your bags. Most of them won't even spin the carousel to help you get the bags

I actually got a nice young man as cashier the other day that I mentioned something to him about being fast and he told me that's why he was always #1 or 2 on the leader board. One thing I noticed in particular was when I was messing with the credit card machine inputting my pin he took the bags off the carousel and walked them around to my cart saving time so he could get to the next customer.

FED_UP

It's easier for the last person to move than the one that's next to check out.

Yea, move out of the way so the people that are in front of you can get in line first. There are some circumstances, like if you have a big cart full you might not feel like moving. Just have to use your common sense and do the right thing.

MarieB

I actually got a nice young man as cashier the other day that I mentioned something to him about being fast and he told me that's why he was always #1 or 2 on the leader board. One thing I noticed in particular was when I was messing with the credit card machine inputting my pin he took the bags off the carousel and walked them around to my cart saving time so he could get to the next customer.

I think I know who that is, but I've only seen him twice during the hours that I have been there.

RPMDAD

I to have experienced bad customer service at some locations in SOMD. However, i would like to give a big shout out to 3 locations where i have always received great customer service, Bowens Grocery store in Huntingtown, Sneades Ace Hardware in Owings, and Pepper's Pet Pantry is Solomons.

Hijinx

Well they all want you to go to the self serve check-out now.

I don't like them. If they don't want to give me a checker, I will look for another store.

I don't use ATM's either. I go to the bank and draw enough to last me 2 weeks.
Don't use credit cards either.

Idunno

As someone who has been in retail for a long time in many different states... Yes, SOMD does not have the best job applicants. You take the best of what applicants you get. GETTING applications can be difficult because people can't pass the tests incorporated in the application process. Once you do get someone hired, you really have no "threats" you can discipline them with....either they file a suit against you or just walk out the door when you write them up for something. The ones that DO manage to stick out a job for 6 months become the supervisors. :frown:

Any jobs dealing with customer service are considered 'toilet paper' jobs, not a career. Not many take any pride in doing a good job. They just don't care.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Well they all want you to go to the self serve check-out now.

I don't like them. If they don't want to give me a checker, I will look for another store.

I don't use ATM's either. I go to the bank and draw enough to last me 2 weeks.
Don't use credit cards either.

Do you have indoor plumbing?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Well, he's got a computer, so he's not a total Luddite. Maybe he's a Mennonite.

I found out only a couple years ago that my folks don't use an ATM card, and indeed were only vaguely aware they existed. I was visiting them and the day before I left (driving back home) she reminded me to get some cash for my trip since the next day was Sunday and the banks would be closed. I said I'd just get some at the ATM when I gassed up on my way out of town.

She was quiet for a second, then she said, "Well, how will you get cash if the banks are closed?" She had seen the machines in various places but had no idea what they were for.

I didn't know what to say. Seriously, I thought all that cash she keeps in her purse was just for show. It didn't occur to me that that's how she actually pays for things when she's traveling.

Very sad and Im not sure if it speaks volumes of this area, people in general or what. 25+ years ago we came here on business (not military) and we loved it. We moved away for 5 years and had an opportunity to return and were so happy to do so.

Now we cant wait to leave. There are many opinions on what has gone wrong around here. People that dont understand waving to other people? What selfish rock did you grow up under? Im from a big city and while that never happens in the city it tickled me when it happened in the smaller towns I lived in.

Was in Michaels the other day using a gift certificate. First the cashier told another co-worker shed be over to help her after she ::big eye roll:: helped me. She huffed over and then smashed the gift cert. numbers into the register, clicked her tongue and told me its not valid. (I know its valid) and I just shrugged at her, not saying a word. I was fuming. In my business - we could get written up or fired for such behavior so it amazes me when Im treated this way. I was not about to tell her how to do her job. She banged on her register some more and it worked. She quickly handed off all receipts, muttered the customary "heres your coupons and your balance on the certif is.." and huffed away. No thank you have a nice day (not that I need the phony ass kissing- but what I dont need is the feeling Im pissing you off for being on your line.

All I did was get on line to buy some scrapbook crap. I had no questions and no attitude. I had a certificate that she had no idea how to utilize. That store has always attracted weirdos to work there though. IMO- of course.

Did I mention we cant wait to leave an area we were once so in love with. Hey locals- on behalf of all transplants- Im very sorry we came and screwed up a perfectly good town. Really. I am.

General Lee

As someone who has been in retail for a long time in many different states... Yes, SOMD does not have the best job applicants. You take the best of what applicants you get. GETTING applications can be difficult because people can't pass the tests incorporated in the application process.

Pitiful isn't it? I'm glad others see what I've been saying for years. Sad state of affairs we're in.

NurseSherri

I'm just not going to give up on being nice. I have had either wonderful or just plain awful experiences in most of the retail shops I have been to here in St. Mary's since I moved here. I figure, if you are at work, and you have to be there anyway, why not make the most of it and just be nice? Your day goes better and you get rewarded with positive attitudes from your customers. I've struck up some wonderful conversations with people at the CVS in Leonardtown and a great cashier at Shoppers... I'm trying to just let the ugly attitudes roll off my back. I miss when people would just wave at me driving down the road when I lived in a small town east of San Diego... that was awesome!

frequentflier

happy to be living
As someone who has been in retail for a long time in many different states... Yes, SOMD does not have the best job applicants. You take the best of what applicants you get. GETTING applications can be difficult because people can't pass the tests incorporated in the application process. Once you do get someone hired, you really have no "threats" you can discipline them with....either they file a suit against you or just walk out the door when you write them up for something. The ones that DO manage to stick out a job for 6 months become the supervisors. :frown:

Any jobs dealing with customer service are considered 'toilet paper' jobs, not a career. Not many take any pride in doing a good job. They just don't care.

I am blessed with some awesome employees; that enjoy being here, like what they are doing and do it well!

Hank

my war
I'm just not going to give up on being nice. I have had either wonderful or just plain awful experiences in most of the retail shops I have been to here in St. Mary's since I moved here. I figure, if you are at work, and you have to be there anyway, why not make the most of it and just be nice? Your day goes better and you get rewarded with positive attitudes from your customers. I've struck up some wonderful conversations with people at the CVS in Leonardtown and a great cashier at Shoppers... I'm trying to just let the ugly attitudes roll off my back. I miss when people would just wave at me driving down the road when I lived in a small town east of San Diego... that was awesome!

Leave. :coffee:

TPD

the poor dad
I am blessed with some awesome employees; that enjoy being here, like what they are doing and do it well!

Me too, but subject to change at any moment. I do tell my employees that the customer is always WRONG until proven right though - that may be why they like their job!