speaking of customer service

MarieB

As someone who has been in retail for a long time in many different states... Yes, SOMD does not have the best job applicants. You take the best of what applicants you get. GETTING applications can be difficult because people can't pass the tests incorporated in the application process. Once you do get someone hired, you really have no "threats" you can discipline them with....either they file a suit against you or just walk out the door when you write them up for something. The ones that DO manage to stick out a job for 6 months become the supervisors. :frown:

Any jobs dealing with customer service are considered 'toilet paper' jobs, not a career. Not many take any pride in doing a good job. They just don't care.

You mean those ridiculous online head assessments?

It used to be that you could walk into a place and sell yourself. Now you have to take a 45 minute assessment that for some places is complete bull####. Thank you HR

acommondisaster

You mean those ridiculous online head assessments?

It used to be that you could walk into a place and sell yourself. Now you have to take a 45 minute assessment that for some places is complete bull####. Thank you HR

Those things are ridiculous - I watched my son try to fill one out - he's a hard working kind of guy that his managers are always happy to have, once he's hired. Polite, no tattoos or piercings, speaks fluent english, clearly, punctual and generally takes pride in his work. But he'd agonize at the "head tests" - "none of these answers fit, he'd say, and never get call backs. Worse yet, he'd fill out applications and the manager at places never seemed to be there, and when they were, they'd tell him they hadn't looked at his app, or they couldn't find it, or they'd call "soon". Poor managers have a lot to do with the type of service and employees in a store.

MarieB

Those things are ridiculous - I watched my son try to fill one out - he's a hard working kind of guy that his managers are always happy to have, once he's hired. Polite, no tattoos or piercings, speaks fluent english, clearly, punctual and generally takes pride in his work. But he'd agonize at the "head tests" - "none of these answers fit, he'd say, and never get call backs. Worse yet, he'd fill out applications and the manager at places never seemed to be there, and when they were, they'd tell him they hadn't looked at his app, or they couldn't find it, or they'd call "soon". Poor managers have a lot to do with the type of service and employees in a store.

Yep

I agree with the poor management part. in my experience, people are promoted to be managers who really shouldn't be in those positions at all and not just in retail.

HR and consulting agencies have really changed the business world from retail to blue collar to professional

And yes, there are a lot of really ####ty customers too

BernieP

Resident PIA
well, you cant "beat" the service clerks you get at any MVA

its against the law....

:drummer:

I've live / traveled and can second what Vrai said about the local "help".

Things I have often wanted to ask or say to a clerk or server;
1. Am I bothering you?
2. Did I interrupt something?
3. I apologize for asking you to do your job.

And some of the attitude is a result of the chain's management or I should say "bossing" practices.

But make no mistake, a lot of retail establishments have cut hours and pulled sales clerks off the floor to save money. In a lot of chains the local manager is under pressure to increase sales (which is hard to do in an economic depression). The "failure" of the company to meet targets is passed directly to the lowest paid worker. Treat your employees like crap and that's how they'll treat you customers.

Managers manage, they lead, they accept responsibility, they make decisions and accept the consequences. Bosses order people around and pass the blame on to their subordinates.

BernieP

Resident PIA
I found out only a couple years ago that my folks don't use an ATM card, and indeed were only vaguely aware they existed. I was visiting them and the day before I left (driving back home) she reminded me to get some cash for my trip since the next day was Sunday and the banks would be closed. I said I'd just get some at the ATM when I gassed up on my way out of town.

She was quiet for a second, then she said, "Well, how will you get cash if the banks are closed?" She had seen the machines in various places but had no idea what they were for.

I didn't know what to say. Seriously, I thought all that cash she keeps in her purse was just for show. It didn't occur to me that that's how she actually pays for things when she's traveling.

funny thing is studies have shown that people who use ATM / Debit cards spend more. It has something to do with knowing the cash you have on hand is all you have so you budget. Using plastic gives you the safety net of running to the closest machine and getting more cash.

MarieB

funny thing is studies have shown that people who use ATM / Debit cards spend more. It has something to do with knowing the cash you have on hand is all you have so you budget. Using plastic gives you the safety net of running to the closest machine and getting more cash.

Very true

Why do you think retail establishments all have their own branded credit cards that they push

OldBlue

Very sad and Im not sure if it speaks volumes of this area, people in general or what. 25+ years ago we came here on business (not military) and we loved it. We moved away for 5 years and had an opportunity to return and were so happy to do so.

Now we cant wait to leave. There are many opinions on what has gone wrong around here. People that dont understand waving to other people? What selfish rock did you grow up under? Im from a big city and while that never happens in the city it tickled me when it happened in the smaller towns I lived in.

Was in Michaels the other day using a gift certificate. First the cashier told another co-worker shed be over to help her after she ::big eye roll:: helped me. She huffed over and then smashed the gift cert. numbers into the register, clicked her tongue and told me its not valid. (I know its valid) and I just shrugged at her, not saying a word. I was fuming. In my business - we could get written up or fired for such behavior so it amazes me when Im treated this way. I was not about to tell her how to do her job. She banged on her register some more and it worked. She quickly handed off all receipts, muttered the customary "heres your coupons and your balance on the certif is.." and huffed away. No thank you have a nice day (not that I need the phony ass kissing- but what I dont need is the feeling Im pissing you off for being on your line.

All I did was get on line to buy some scrapbook crap. I had no questions and no attitude. I had a certificate that she had no idea how to utilize. That store has always attracted weirdos to work there though. IMO- of course.

Did I mention we cant wait to leave an area we were once so in love with. Hey locals- on behalf of all transplants- Im very sorry we came and screwed up a perfectly good town. Really. I am.

Same with me! I lived here in the mid-2000's and we had really great time. Now, I'm counting the days until I can leave this a-hole infested part of the country! I know there will be opposing arguments (no doubt from descendants of the 3-4 family names that settled here in colonial times) but this place sucks! People are rude, drivers are rude (and stuuuuupid), no customer service anywhere (except Chick-fil-A and the little old lady who works the self checkout at Lowes) and it just is not a place I want to stay and raise my kids.

ginwoman

Same with me! I lived here in the mid-2000's and we had really great time. Now, I'm counting the days until I can leave this a-hole infested part of the country! I know there will be opposing arguments (no doubt from descendants of the 3-4 family names that settled here in colonial times) but this place sucks! People are rude, drivers are rude (and stuuuuupid), no customer service anywhere (except Chick-fil-A and the little old lady who works the self checkout at Lowes) and it just is not a place I want to stay and raise my kids.

I am sad to see the county get like this.

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
I found out only a couple years ago that my folks don't use an ATM card, and indeed were only vaguely aware they existed. I was visiting them and the day before I left (driving back home) she reminded me to get some cash for my trip since the next day was Sunday and the banks would be closed. I said I'd just get some at the ATM when I gassed up on my way out of town.

She was quiet for a second, then she said, "Well, how will you get cash if the banks are closed?" She had seen the machines in various places but had no idea what they were for.

I didn't know what to say. Seriously, I thought all that cash she keeps in her purse was just for show. It didn't occur to me that that's how she actually pays for things when she's traveling.

This is the mother who has conversations with family members who aren't there, right?

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
I to have experienced bad customer service at some locations in SOMD. However, i would like to give a big shout out to 3 locations where i have always received great customer service, Bowens Grocery store in Huntingtown, Sneades Ace Hardware in Owings, and Pepper's Pet Pantry is Solomons.

:high5: Good idea!

We had excellent customer service at LaTolteca last night. The food is always good, their service is prompt, and courteous. :yay:

BernieP

Resident PIA

Lowes is one of the few places that improved customer service.
It use to be you could die of old age trying to get some help, but not now.
I know it's a marketing ploy, but the MyLowes thing is great, yes, it tracks your purchase. But I went in with a broken power tool. Didn't have the receipt, but thought it might be covered. Took less than 10 minutes to send me on my way with a brand new replacement - just looked it up. Returns have been totally hassle free, plant warranty was honored without a question.

Chick-fil-A's success starts with how the corporation selects their franchise owners and how they are trained. They in turn are careful when hiring.

Some of the other local businesses have turned it around. It use to be they felt they were doing you a favor, saving you a trip up the road. Prices were high, service was poor, attitude worse. Unless you "knew" someone.

RPMDAD

Just a quick observation, all of us here are very quick to point out bad customer service, however, no one on here ever starts a thread out with i just witnessed good customer service at this store or that store, or this restaurant or that restaurant. I don't think bad customer service is isolated to to the SOMD area and it never use to be, i think it is just an expansion of being connected to the Washington / Baltimore Metro areas. I do remember when most of this area was country and customer service was always pretty good. But we should all start threads or have one thread we add onto when we see and experience good customer service. PS moved to SOMD area full time in 1984 so still a newbie to the area. Worked at Pax in the 80's and early 90's.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
however, no one on here ever starts a thread out with i just witnessed good customer service at this store or that store, or this restaurant or that restaurant.

People shout out to great businesses on here all the time. Service people, waitstaff, anyone who's gone the extra mile or been particularly pleasant to deal with. We just don't notice them because bad news always gets more attention.

libby

Just a quick observation, all of us here are very quick to point out bad customer service, however, no one on here ever starts a thread out with i just witnessed good customer service at this store or that store, or this restaurant or that restaurant. I don't think bad customer service is isolated to to the SOMD area and it never use to be, i think it is just an expansion of being connected to the Washington / Baltimore Metro areas. I do remember when most of this area was country and customer service was always pretty good. But we should all start threads or have one thread we add onto when we see and experience good customer service. PS moved to SOMD area full time in 1984 so still a newbie to the area. Worked at Pax in the 80's and early 90's.

I certainly agree that good customer service needs to be recognized. However, one or two nice employees, unfortunately, don't make up for the rest of the place being awful.
There are a few cashiers at the Callaway Food Lion who are always pleasant. They are also quick to scan your items, etc. I know that they are not the ones responsible for opening up a new register when there is a group chatting at the Customer Service desk and I don't blame them. It's management that has not emphasized to the deli, etc. that they are to stop everything for the customer that is standing in front of them.
Again, I have no real problem with treatment once it's my turn. It's the fact that I have to wait so darn long while there are clearly other employees who could help me.
I would say that for each grumpy cashier at any given retail establishment, there is another who is pleasant.