Spinning Classes

DJaxx

Does anyone here take spinning? I would love to start but am scared I will be awful. Where do you go?

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Does anyone here take spinning? I would love to start but am scared I will be awful. Where do you go?

I took classes several years ago with some of my friends here at work. It's not easy and your butt will kill you. But work up to it and you'll love it. I really liked it.

tommyjones

the secret to being comfortable is padded shorts. they sell them at bike stores, Dicks, and places like nashbar.com

they are worth their weight in gold.....

also, since you are using a sationary bike you dont have to worry about 'keeping up' you can just do your best

if you have access to the base they have them at the fitness center, if you dont, most gyms offer them

lovinmaryland

Yes I love it!!! Best thing I ever did. Dont worry it is your ride do as much as you can until you work up to it!

Spining classes are offered at SMAC gym in Mechanicsville. That's all I can add.

:clap: best gym ever all the instructors there are wonderful :clap:

the secret to being comfortable is padded shorts. they sell them at bike stores, Dicks, and places like nashbar.com

they are worth their weight in gold.....

also, since you are using a sationary bike you dont have to worry about 'keeping up' you can just do your best

if you have access to the base they have them at the fitness center, if you dont, most gyms offer them

I never wore the shorts or used a gel seat so I cant comment on how well they work... but your ass will be sore for the first few days. The more classes you take the quicker you will get used to it. Good Luck :howdy:

nobody really

I need a nap

the good thing about spinning (my experience anyways) is that the room is always dimly lit, and your on a stationary bike, so nobody can really tell how high your tension is.

Sport_883

I take spin classes at least twice at week at World Gym....I really enjoy it! Try not to over do it on the first class...

DAMCAM

Hey DJaxx
I go to World Gym.... Where do you go?

The classes are great! dont give up after the 2-3 classes (ur butts gonna hurt) after that its all down hill. Great hour workout and its not boring

If you go to World Gym.... I will take a class with you if you want.

MargeInCharge

I've been spinning at SMAC Fitness in Mechanicsville for a couple of months. The first couple of weeks were rough (and my butt was on fire!). But take it slow and go at your own pace and it gradually gets easier.

Most of the instructors are great, but my favorite is Meg. She is by far the most attentive, especially to newbies, and very encouraging. She is there on Monday nights.

I use a padded seat cover that I got at Wal-Mart for about $16. I guess it helps a bit, but your butt will still be sore for at least a couple of weeks no matter what.

Here is their website, click on the spinning link to find the schedule:

http://smac.somd.com/

signora

I take spinning classes and also have a Spinning Bike. You should definitely try it because it is a good workout. Don't worry about being awful because w/some people it just takes time to get use to the bike and having proper form. The seat is probably the worst part because it gets uncomfortable where some people will wear padded bike shorts or they bring a padded bike seat cover for it. If you decide to try it just work at your own pace until you feel comfortable w/it. The various gyms in the area offer it.

popsicle

Before I had surgery on my knee I was spinning at profitness 2-3 times a weak. I loved it because it made me sweat. I always feel like I am doing more when I am sweating.

I was talking to a guy at the gym the other night and he said it has become so popular that the classes are filling up too quick.

T

toppick08

I started taking it at Pro Fitness 3 weeks ago, and love it.........a break from the weights.
:yay:

warneckutz

Before I had surgery on my knee I was spinning at profitness 2-3 times a weak. I loved it because it made me sweat. I always feel like I am doing more when I am sweating.

I was talking to a guy at the gym the other night and he said it has become so popular that the classes are filling up too quick.

While I think spinning is THE DEVIL, a lot of people enjoy it. Thanks to the spinning classes we also go through towels twice as fast.... :doh:

Most of the classes at the Pro are full by Friday mid-am (when the new sign-up sheets are printed).

H

HouseCat

I take it on base. Great class; burn a lot of fat. However, it hurts your butt bone. I went to Wal-mart and bought that seat cover MargeInCharge mentioned....much more comfortable! Great investment!! if you can't afford it, just keep going and you'll eventually build up some callouses on your butt! lol

As far as your fitness level...heed this: work at YOUR own pace! Don't worry about what everybody else is doing and try to keep up...you'll hurt yourself, and be so sore the next day, that you won't be able to go back. Push yourself to get through it, and don't overdo it.

I went yesterday, and they were doing all these up and down routines, that I absolutely just could not participate in. When I have to stand up and peddle, my heart rate shoots up to 180-190. I just sit in the back and do my own thing, to my own pace....when I get stronger, I'll do more standing routines. That's what I suggest you do. If your instructor is a good one, they'll recommend the same thing...do what you can, and slowly build up to higher work load. If you get an instructor that barks at you, and is an ass...I'd find another one.

Queenofdenile1

Love is Blind

Oh, I LOVE SPINNING!! I haven't taken it for awhile but most places you have to join a Gym. Not sure where you live but...Golds Gym has spinning, Total Fitness for Women and Sport & Health also have spinning. You can also join through the College of SOMD through their Continuing Education. They have classes for spinning but the times aren't compatible to my schedule. You can also go on-line and there is a website for Spinning. Google "Spinning bikes" and you can actually order a bike with the tapes and everything. No need to be scared of spinning. It's fun and done at your own pace. Other people could be spinning right along and if your not up at their speed, not to worry about it. It will take your breath away, especially if your not used to cardio exercise, so be careful. If you like biking, you'll LOVE IT!!

lovinmaryland

Can't wait Can't wait!!!! 2 more weeks to go and I should be able to get back to spinning. :yahoo:

:clap:

Now you know that first class may be a little tough right :lol:

I did a 90 minute one Sat. morning... man I should not have drank so much the night before it was tough as crap :dead: