St Marys Today Abolishment Petition

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
I just have a couple questions. Wouldnt speed be a factor in that? How fast exactly do you have to be going to go airborne anyway?
Speed most certainly is a factor. Many smaller boats slow down coming around Point Patience. The boats we own(ed) aren't designed to go slow nor do we drive them slow.

This was a freak accident where it appears he came down in a cross wake and rolled at 80+ mph.

BTW just for clarity before it is brought up, there is NO speed limit in this area.

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
If one hates that paper so much, why do you provide them more publicity by starting a petition that has no meaning? It's not as if you're going to be able to present the petition to the County Commissioners who will then vote to shutdown the paper.

In 1987, there was a show on TV that some holly roller down in TX didn't like. So she tried to get people to boycott the show and the advertisers. Well, all she did was call more attention to the show and the ratings went up. The show, Married With Children, went on to be one of the longest running series in the history of TV.

If you don't like the paper, don't buy it.

Well said.

This is a business.. WHY the petition??

If you don't like it, don't read it, don't go to their website. Enough people don't do business with a paper guess what happens??

IT GOES OUT OF BUSINESS, or asks for a gov't bailout.

Petition for a paper to stop doing business like they are, that is keeping them IN business sounds ludicrous.

:yay: I do not agree with most things that come out in print with that paper, so I choose to ignore it.

Sign the petition to show your disdain and disgust for the 'journalism' that is being written in the St. Marys Today.

Stop St Marys Today! Petition : [ powered by iPetitions.com ]

(This topic was made at the request of people in this thread. :p )

No thanks. I just don't buy it.

Speed most certainly is a factor. Many smaller boats slow down coming around Point Patience. The boats we own(ed) aren't designed to go slow nor do we drive them slow.

This was a freak accident where it appears he came down in a cross wake and rolled at 80+ mph.

BTW just for clarity before it is brought up, there is NO speed limit in this area.

Nor should there be, but it is a pretty busy area. Rounding that point brings a lot of boats on a pretty close course.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy

They ONLY thing I don't understand is, if they were testing this boat, why weren't they wearing life jackets? I mean no disrespect at all.

They ONLY thing I don't understand is, if they were testing this boat, why weren't they wearing life jackets? I mean no disrespect at all.

I said the same thing last night in the boat with Pat's brother and BIL - we all chuckled when I said it.

They were not doing an all out test per-say; they more or less came out of Battle Creek, rounded the point, rounded the bridge - accelerated to roughly 80, eased off the throttle going around the point and they jammed it - then they flipped.

In the rivers it really is not an issue with rough or disturbed water on a slow traffic day - remember, the boat they were in was a 38' Formula (attached) and in the creeks/rivers this thing is smooth as silk when you are getting bounced in a 23 - 26 footer... to put things in perspective, the pic attached shows a 19/21 foot open bow off P3-71's Starboard Aft.

From what I gather, Pat, Bobby and company were more or less "blowing the dust off if it" or just going for a short burst checking out some work Pat did... but it was not a full out test, so the thinking is "what can happen?" I have been in Pat's personal Baja going 75 on GPS (no where near top end) without a vest - but it was in calm water, and I was not even blinking an eye... after this, bet your ass I will have one on at those speeds.

You are right and hindsight it 20/20 - but I can not think of many times where I donned a life jacket... I do know they used full out suites and gear for Reiter Racing, but for blast testing - no... I think when they tested in the Bay REALLY pounding the boat in race conditions, then they did.

Attachments

• P371.jpg
    P371.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 65

JackMD

Not a Constitution Issue

Go read the 1st amendment to the Constitution. You may not like what they print or put on the web, but give them credit for constantly hammering politicans.

I'm all for supporting our constitutional rights! However, the problem with St. Mary's Today is not about that. They report outright lies. This is not the first time they have reported false information about my friends/family. How would you feel if a member of your family was dead and this paper did nothing but bad mouth them? Saying stuff like they didn't have the brains to get a $25 chart to see the sandbar - the sandbar had nothing to do with the accident!

JackMD

I just have a couple questions. Wouldnt speed be a factor in that? How fast exactly do you have to be going to go airborne anyway?

I've been airborne going 40 in a 24 foot - not a good feeling. If you go any slower around that area, you won't make it over the waves/wakes.

LordStanley

I know nothing
I'm all for supporting our constitutional rights! However, the problem with St. Mary's Today is not about that. They report outright lies. This is not the first time they have reported false information about my friends/family. How would you feel if a member of your family was dead and this paper did nothing but bad mouth them? Saying stuff like they didn't have the brains to get a $25 chart to see the sandbar - the sandbar had nothing to do with the accident!

:yeahthat:

All the people that Dont mind the paper havent had a friend or loved one written about yet.

That attitude will change if that ever happens

LordStanley

I know nothing
Last real boat I owned,(besides my jet ski) 31' CENTER CONSOLE with twin 225 evis, I could get both props outa the water around 35knots. Of course that was at ceader point with a nice swell. Point Paitence typically does not have that kinda swell. lots of mistakes can still be made doesn't take away the hurt though.

That’s not true. The problem with Point Patients is that’s its a bottleneck....

I was a few minutes in front of them that day. There were still a number of boats on the water that afternoon. Including a couple of big cruisers.

All it takes is a couple of boats to try and make that passage at the same time or seconds of each other and the water gets rough. Put a nice big boat wake on top of that, and its perfect for this type of accident.

The water between that point and Drum Point is usually the roughest when there are a good number of boats out. Any respectable boater will tell you that if they spend any time on that water.

CandaceMM

Ummmmm ....

All the people that Dont mind the paper havent had a friend or loved one written about yet.

I don't even live in St. Mary's and that paper wrote an article about something that I was involved in years ago. I was a passenger in a car accident where the driver and the front passenger ended up dying. There was a ridiculous headline on the front cover of the paper, the article had nothing but wrong information ... and all of us were minors and the paper posted ALL of our personal information.

It's a trashy paper with crappy reporting. There is no reason that they should publish inaccurate information on a regular basis. The paper is completely prejudiced and flat out ridiculous.

awpitt

Main Streeter
If the paper printed false information and defamed anyone's character, then that would be liable and the agrieved parties would have grounds for a lawsuite.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
If the paper printed false information and defamed anyone's character, then that would be liable and the agrieved parties would have grounds for a lawsuite.

Can't get blood out of a turnip. The owner of that paper has nothing in his name.

awpitt

Main Streeter

Actually, I had and in-law relative who was a target of the paper a longtime ago. The relative sued. It ended up being settled but the relative did get money.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
You all can petition all you want, but at the end of the day you have no say-so over whether a privately owned business is able to operate or not.

Your best bet is to not buy his papers, not visit his website, and not give him publicity with threads like this. If his circulation goes down, his advertisers will start dropping off, then his income takes a hit.

G1G4

Find em Hot, Leave em Wet
Amazing, some people quote my first post and don't even read the thread it was derived from. In that thread, someone had optioned a petition for stopping biased reporting. Amazingly enough, the St. Marys today is the most biased and opinioned reporting around. So, for the sake of doing it, I did a petition for THOSE that wanted to sign. I posted it in THAT thread and then made this thread because some felt it would get read more in the new thread.
I find it amazing that the same homers that are whining about me giving him publicity are the same ones that keep bumping this thread to do so.
To the people that signed the petition with the fake names, thank you for the chuckle.

itsbob

I bowl overhand

I don;t normally read the pice of crap.. and I think his website looks like it was done by a 10 year old, I don't go there either.

Only way I'd know he wrote anything about a loved one is if someone mentioned it in here.

SOOOO.. if you don't like it, don't read or talk about it!!

:itsbob: (worth a shot to see if my smiley made it)

jayboy

Pfft you don't impress me
You all can petition all you want, but at the end of the day you have no say-so over whether a privately owned business is able to operate or not.

Your best bet is to not buy his papers, not visit his website, and not give him publicity with threads like this. If his circulation goes down, his advertisers will start dropping off, then his income takes a hit.

Truer words have never been spoken.