Stray Friendly Young Boxer - HELP PLEASE

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Another picture - isn't he so cute? I took him for a ride and he seems to know what an elbow across the chest means and he moved back (was in middle of back seat leaning forward next to my head) then when I came back from the store he was in the driver's seat, so I open the door and he promptly moved to the passenger seat. So I say "get in the back" and I motion that direction at the same time - he jumped right back there hmm. So maybe he does have some car riding experience after all?

He REALLY is interested in the horses - wanted to go chase one it seemed? He did try to chase the cat, so he may need some training in the cat department. He growled at my dog, and my dog wasn't sure about him, so for now I am keeping them separated.

oh he started scratching his neck (maybe due to collar I put on him?) so I put some K9 Advantix II on him just to be on the safe side. He seems to be such an excited greeter (but no urine leaking). I've never had a boxer before, and so far, he's quite entertaining. He was pawing at the area rug, so now he is pawing at the throw I just tossed on the floor - he's making his "bed" I guess? He wants to be right next to you also - what a sweet dog.

He heard a noise a bit ago and he jumped up and ran to the door barking. What a good doggie - my own dog rarely barks so I enjoyed that he was so inclined to bark right away at a strange noise. He also talks a bit when he hears quieter noises in that he grumbles and/or growls then goes into a bark if he deems it necessary.

Still no call that he's been reported lost. I hope we can find a good home for this boy in case he doesn't have a family looking for him.

Attachments

• boxer3.jpg
    boxer3.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Boxers are extemely happy, happy dogs. The LOVE people and want/need to be with them. They're clowns. I adore them.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Boxers are extemely happy, happy dogs. The LOVE people and want/need to be with them. They're clowns. I adore them.

I'm a bit apprehensive with him due to his energy and not KNOWING him well yet. I can see he's becoming HOOKED on me, and I love that, but I know he needs to move on, so I am saddened by his adaptation to me so fast.

If I was to pick a dog personality to have, this boxer would be it. He fulfills everything I would want in a dog. Reminds me so much of the Rottie breed I love so much. They attach themselves to you, and become your defenders.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
HAPPIEST OF DOGS !! How is the foster placement coming?

I'm hoping someone with boxer experience will take him from me. He seems to have defensive issues. I tried to put a harness on him a while ago (have a makeshift collar on him - it's a nylon horse bucket hanger), but after getting the first leg in, he growled and jumped. He does have some other fear issues in addition to being fearful of men.

I'm having a hard time keeping the dogs apart - having to isolate 1 then the other to alternate who has time out of a bedroom.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !

The boxer is isolated in the bedroom for his turn now while my dog has free roam for a while. He will whine at first, but I say hey NO, and he will stop (he's probably napping on the bed?). He's a great boy. I just KNOW he'll be a great dog for someone.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
This dog wants to PLAY and run and jump - you know? He can't do that at the end of a leash. I need to find some place to take him that has a tall fence so he can run and play a while. He's whining right now to go outside, but I took him out 2 times in the past hour already - he wants to play not go potty.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Boxy boy went nuts over seeing a relative of mine. He was jumping up and down excitedly and started drooling. I wonder if my relative looked like someone he knew from his past that he liked?

If you don't take him out to potty upon hearing his whining, he will bark to say I need to go out NOW LOL. I took him out and OMG he ran to the fence line and did his thing immediately. What a great dog.

I didn't find a place for Boxy to play over the weekend. I bet he's great to play fetch with. I bet he'd also be awesome at catching a Frisbee with how agile he is, and how high he can jump!

Did I mention he knows how to roll over? I was shocked that he did it after I said it (he was laying down at the time). I was thinking that had to be a coincidence ... so I said it again, and he did it again, wow. I am baffled as to why there is no lost report for him. He obviously had been someone's pet.

acommondisaster

Hope you find a home for him. There are no Boxer rescues that will take him?
He sounds like a great dog. I keep reading that a lot of people are abandoning pets because they can no longer afford them.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Hope you find a home for him. There are no Boxer rescues that will take him?
He sounds like a great dog. I keep reading that a lot of people are abandoning pets because they can no longer afford them.

He IS a great dog. I am finding more and more about him as time goes on. I've discovered that he knows so much! I extended my hand yesterday and said "shake" and he did ! Someone took the time to teach him a LOT.

One thing they should have worked on was to stop him from pulling on the leash. He gets excited and pulls, sometimes he will see something, and just take off. So that's something he needs some training with.

So far I have not heard from any boxer rescues. I will have to do something with him soon, so if I have to, I'll place him myself, but I really don't feel qualified to evaluate him to determine if he can be in a multi-dog home, or a home with small children. It's becoming more difficult for me to keep these dogs separated. He has to go soon.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Boxer Boy is well traveled (well at least locally lol). When I run errands, I take him with me. He is such a good companion. He waits patiently, doesn't tear up anything, or get into anything, just waits for me to return. When I get back he moves out of my seat if he's in it, and then sniffs me as if to be sure that it's really ME. I have been feeding him 1/3 extra food each meal due to how thin he is. I am currently mixing him over from Flint River Ranch to Taste of the Wild.

I am glad I helped this boy, but I am getting attached to him. I wish I could consider him as a 2nd dog, but I don't think his personality is submissive enough that my dog wouldn't try to fight him. I am hoping that a boxer rescue or someone familiar with the breed will take him to find him an appropriate home. I will do anything I have to in order to keep him out of the shelter.

I sent email to several boxer rescues but I bet they are full. It would at least be nice to get a reply saying so. I've contacted several rescues in the past few weeks. I heard there are even boxers living at a boarding facility awaiting placement. I guess Boxer Boy would like staying with me better than being caged most of the time.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
it obvious YOUR dating card has space since you're debating this eh?

Considering some of the options, the dog may win anyway LOL

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Boxer Boy is learning better manners when we walk on the leash. He still wants to pull, but I tap him on the side with my foot (that Cesar move) and say AT! and he actually looks at me and pulls less, so that's progress.

This boy sure has energy. he gets to spinning around at the end of the lead rope and I fear he will spin right out of that makeshift collar. I am so glad this thing has metal and nylon, I surely think he would have broken a collar with a plastic fastener by now. That's why I was trying to get a harness on him before (although it, too, has a plastic fastener hmmm).

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
Boxer Boy is learning better manners when we walk on the leash. He still wants to pull, but I tap him on the side with my foot (that Cesar move) and say AT! and he actually looks at me and pulls less, so that's progress.

This boy sure has energy. he gets to spinning around at the end of the lead rope and I fear he will spin right out of that makeshift collar. I am so glad this thing has metal and nylon, I surely think he would have broken a collar with a plastic fastener by now. That's why I was trying to get a harness on him before (although it, too, has a plastic fastener hmmm).

I have a 12 yr old boxer that still spins lol it never goes away...

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I have a 12 yr old boxer that still spins lol it never goes away...

I wondered about that, figures LOL

Since I have not heard anything from Animal Control about a lost report to match his "found" report that I made, and we'll be at the 1 month mark on the 14th, I'm taking him to the vet Friday.

The vet tech is suggesting we start with a Heartworm test, and go from there. If he's positive, we do not have the funds to go forward with treatment. We would have to put him down if we can't find a rescue for him to go to that can treat him, or find a vet willing to donate treatment.

If he is negative, I will get his vaccinations done.

Attachments

• Boxerinbedagain.jpg
    Boxerinbedagain.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 119

Roman

I wondered about that, figures LOL

Since I have not heard anything from Animal Control about a lost report to match his "found" report that I made, and we'll be at the 1 month mark on the 14th, I'm taking him to the vet Friday.

The vet tech is suggesting we start with a Heartworm test, and go from there. If he's positive, we do not have the funds to go forward with treatment. We would have to put him down if we can't find a rescue for him to go to that can treat him, or find a vet willing to donate treatment.

If he is negative, I will get his vaccinations done.
If he is positive, maybe we can rally the funds or him to be treated. Didn't you say that he is Micro-chipped? I can't remember what happened with that. I just ope that someone comes forward soon.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
If he is positive, maybe we can rally the funds or him to be treated. Didn't you say that he is Micro-chipped? I can't remember what happened with that. I just ope that someone comes forward soon.

The vet office didn't pick up a chip when we checked him on Nov. 14th but I later thought something I felt on his shoulder might have been a chip, but ICit said she didn't think I'd be able to feel it from the surface like that. We'll try again with checking for a chip tomorrow.

I tried to slip a doggie coat over his head this morning and he growled and shook and had this scared look on his face. Hmm he sure has issues with being covered and things being held over his head/body. I took the coat off and told him it was okay and gave him a hug. Sure do wish I knew what happened to him. Poor baby.

I was thinking that too ..... that we might be able to get help to pay for treatment if he needs it - I'm hoping he's healthy and that we won't have to face that. The vet tech I've been talking to about him that will see him tomorrow may decide to foster him a while. I'd be open to that so my house can gain some normalcy after a month of keeping the dogs apart. She's a great dog-person and he would do well with her. I wouldn't worry about him with her either (whew). I am really attached to this boy already - scary!