Stray Friendly Young Boxer - HELP PLEASE

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
I wondered about that, figures LOL

Since I have not heard anything from Animal Control about a lost report to match his "found" report that I made, and we'll be at the 1 month mark on the 14th, I'm taking him to the vet Friday.

The vet tech is suggesting we start with a Heartworm test, and go from there. If he's positive, we do not have the funds to go forward with treatment. We would have to put him down if we can't find a rescue for him to go to that can treat him, or find a vet willing to donate treatment.

If he is negative, I will get his vaccinations done.

Please contact Adopt a Boxer Rescue. Thanks!

Or if he's postive, I will take him and get him placed with AABR. You don't pull a dog from a shelter and then euthanize him.

Adopt A Boxer Rescue

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Please contact Adopt a Boxer Rescue. Thanks!

Or if he's postive, I will take him and get him placed with AABR. You don't pull a dog from a shelter and then euthanize him.

Adopt A Boxer Rescue

He is a stray, he didn't come from the shelter.

I'm pretty sure I sent AABR email already. I can almost guarantee you that they are full though, because I heard from a friend that a boarding facility in So.MD has a boxer there awaiting a home (no other foster available). I certainly wouldn't make a decision to euthanize a wonderful dog like this without appealing for help. I wish I could keep him. I'm going to miss him for sure. I trust a few of the dog rescues based on people I know that have vouched for them. I would trust AABR based on your confidence in them. I even sent Roxie's Fund an email about Boxy Boy but they I assume are also full.

The vet tech that will meet him tomorrow may foster him. She also has other dogs, so he would need to be dog-friendly. She said she will ask her hubby if he is willing to help Boxy with his fear of men.

Roman

He is a stray, he didn't come from the shelter.

I'm pretty sure I sent AABR email already. I can almost guarantee you that they are full though, because I heard from a friend that a boarding facility in So.MD has a boxer there awaiting a home (no other foster available). I certainly wouldn't make a decision to euthanize a wonderful dog like this without appealing for help. I wish I could keep him. I'm going to miss him for sure. I trust a few of the dog rescues based on people I know that have vouched for them. I would trust AABR based on your confidence in them. I even sent Roxie's Fund an email about Boxy Boy but they I assume are also full.

The vet tech that will meet him tomorrow may foster him. She also has other dogs, so he would need to be dog-friendly. She said she will ask her hubby if he is willing to help Boxy with his fear of men.
Let us know how Boxy's appointment goes today.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Let us know how Boxy's appointment goes today.

All we know is he weighs 55.6 lbs and his poop is headed to the lab to be check for parasites.

Wow it did NOT go well. The vet said that this dog has obviously been abused in the past, and he has a high level of excitability which can be difficult to handle. The vet said that this dog either needs to be in the hands of a capable rehabber, or may be better off put down to avoid future liability issues if he bites someone. The vet also said he appears to be a very smart dog.

I agree this boy has fear issues, BUT he is loving toward people once he trusts you. He doesn't fully trust me yet, but so far it's going well. I am not a dog trainer/rehabber. So this dog needs to go to a rescue asap that is capable of handing this kind of case.

They were unable to draw blood or give any shots at all. I have meds to give him just before I take him in next Friday. If all goes well we'll get it all done, and then he can go to a rescue or to someone willing and able to take on a case like this. I sure wish Turbo was around. He would be great for helping this boy. He has not bitten anyone, he does however get defensive, growl and thrash around. He is VERY strong for a 55 lb dog!

I wish I knew more about rehabbing abused dogs. I just don't have anything to offer this boy other than the temporary home he's had here. I'm sure there is someone out there that can help this boy. It may turn out that he can only go to a home with a strong handler that is able to keep him under control in new situations as they arise. He can go from 1 to 10 on the excitement scale in seconds ....

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
All we know is he weighs 55.6 lbs and his poop is headed to the lab to be check for parasites.

Wow it did NOT go well. The vet said that this dog has obviously been abused in the past, and he has a high level of excitability which can be difficult to handle. The vet said that this dog either needs to be in the hands of a capable rehabber, or may be better off put down to avoid future liability issues if he bites someone. The vet also said he appears to be a very smart dog.

I agree this boy has fear issues, BUT he is loving toward people once he trusts you. He doesn't fully trust me yet, but so far it's going well. I am not a dog trainer/rehabber. So this dog needs to go to a rescue asap that is capable of handing this kind of case.

They were unable to draw blood or give any shots at all. I have meds to give him just before I take him in next Friday. If all goes well we'll get it all done, and then he can go to a rescue or to someone willing and able to take on a case like this. I sure wish Turbo was around. He would be great for helping this boy. He has not bitten anyone, he does however get defensive, growl and thrash around. He is VERY strong for a 55 lb dog!

I wish I knew more about rehabbing abused dogs. I just don't have anything to offer this boy other than the temporary home he's had here. I'm sure there is someone out there that can help this boy. It may turn out that he can only go to a home with a strong handler that is able to keep him under control in new situations as they arise. He can go from 1 to 10 on the excitement scale in seconds ....

Sounds to me like he's a misunderstood Boxer. Where are you located?

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
I'm pretty sure I sent AABR email already. I can almost guarantee you that they are full though
"Pretty sure" and "almost" aren't doing this poor guy any favors. Is it possible for you to contact them again? Or perhaps let Catt work her magic and try to help you find a placement for him? I know that you want to help him, but sometimes you need to open yourself up to letting others help you in that process. And I'm certainly no expert, but I would personally be wary of a vet whose initial reaction is that the dog should be put down.

Roman

I agree with Nickel, when he/she says to be leary of a Vet that suggests the option of putting him down. There has GOT to be someone on this forum, that has the perfect place for him. I am really sorry to hear about the visit Boxy had today. Good luck Ark. I really wish that I could help you.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
"Pretty sure" and "almost" aren't doing this poor guy any favors. Is it possible for you to contact them again? Or perhaps let Catt work her magic and try to help you find a placement for him? I know that you want to help him, but sometimes you need to open yourself up to letting others help you in that process. And I'm certainly no expert, but I would personally be wary of a vet whose initial reaction is that the dog should be put down.

I initiated contact with several different rescues. Let's see, I contacted: Alan@adoptaboxerrescue.com, Roxie's Fund, Second Hope, and contact@boxerrescue.com . Like I said they all must be full, why else wouldn't they reply?

I have been the adopter of a dog needing help from a dog rescue in the past, but that was after they did all their temperament testing, etc. It was determined that the dog needed a home that could provide above all EXERCISE, and some firm obedience training.

That dog I had was very high energy, had fear issues, acted exactly like Boxy did at the vet, and I referred to him as my JRT on steroids (Rottie). Quinn (RIP baby) was misunderstood also. I now understand MORE about Boxy after today, and I agree with Catt that he is misunderstood. Quinn and Boxy could be twins with how they are so much alike in behavior.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I agree with Nickel, when he/she says to be leary of a Vet that suggests the option of putting him down. There has GOT to be someone on this forum, that has the perfect place for him. I am really sorry to hear about the visit Boxy had today. Good luck Ark. I really wish that I could help you.

Now that I realize that Boxy is so much like my former dog Quinn, I have a much better understanding of where he is coming from with his behavior. I just want a qualified person or rescue to take him in that can handle his personality/issues. I have no doubt that he can be placed in a home once he has been evaluated.

I fear someone not taking proper precautions and this boy getting loose and running away.

Some people/vets would rather err on the side of caution? I don't think this boy means anyone any harm. He's been abused and is fearful, that's his BIGGEST problem.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
was on my KNEES !!!

HMM so after almost a month with Boxy Boy, I had him at Tractor Supply again and took him out waiting for a rescue buddy to show up for other reasons. As soon as he saw her and her female friend, he went NUTS as I have seem him do toward other women before.

Before I knew it, Boxy Boy had pulled so hard I ended up on my knees - thankfully in the mulched area! I did not get up right away, I took verbal and physical steps first to get Boxy to STOP his behavior. I had him first STOP the excitement, then next SIT. After that I got up and looked at him like "you act up and I will not be happy!" and he looked back like "oh no what did I do?"

I then calmly walked him back to my vehicle and put him inside and said DOWN. He did. OMG what an impression he made on them? That's obviously the same impression he made on the vet tech that didn't ask to take him home :shocking: - I think he needs MORE training on how to meet and greet people LOL.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Where is he now?

He's still with me - I am hoping to get a Boxer rescue to take him soon. He is quite unhappy with no exercise area - he's FULL of energy, and I have no place for him to play to release his energy.

His personality is coming out more and more, and he's such a wonderful dog. I will truly miss him when he leaves. I know enough about him to know that he needs some help from a qualified re-habber that can work him through some of the issues he has that frighten him. I am doing what I can for him, but I don't know much about techniques to deal with abuse issues. This dog can not be handed over to someone not experienced with abused dogs. I know what some of his fear triggers are, so maybe I can work him through some of them?

Maybe I need to do some research online to help him more myself? Today is the 1 month Anniversary since I picked him up. Had no clue he'd be with me this long. It's amazing how much our routine has changed since his arrival. Oh, and he got whacked in the face by the cat again. He got a little too personal sniffing her butt and she let him know LOL

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
He's still with me - I am hoping to get a Boxer rescue to take him soon. He is quite unhappy with no exercise area - he's FULL of energy, and I have no place for him to play to release his energy.

His personality is coming out more and more, and he's such a wonderful dog. I will truly miss him when he leaves. I know enough about him to know that he needs some help from a qualified re-habber that can work him through some of the issues he has that frighten him. I am doing what I can for him, but I don't know much about techniques to deal with abuse issues. This dog can not be handed over to someone not experienced with abused dogs. I know what some of his fear triggers are, so maybe I can work him through some of them?

Maybe I need to do some research online to help him more myself? Today is the 1 month Anniversary since I picked him up. Had no clue he'd be with me this long. It's amazing how much our routine has changed since his arrival. Oh, and he got whacked in the face by the cat again. He got a little too personal sniffing her butt and she let him know LOL

I'm far from an expert but what are you basing your abuse assumptions on? My 2 year old boxer/pit mix was definitely neglected, he was 48#s when I got him and is now over 70, but a lot of the behavior you describe is similar to Marley's and I don't believe he was physically abused at all. They are stubborn, stubborn dogs but super sensative. It takes 2 people, a bag of treats, and about a healthy half an hour to cut his nails although I have never made it unpleasant for him. For some reason he just doesn't like it and won't have it without a fight, thrash, thrash, thrash; BUT he will sit, lay, and shake on command. He was awful on the leash until I got that head/face thing, now other than being a butthole when I first put it on he's easy to walk. I guess the point I'm getting at is, he may not have been abused it may just be his personality. Boxers tend to be giant buttholes, very sweet and smart buttholes but buttholes none the less.

Katelin

one day the dark will end

You still have this dog?
You have not had him evaluated by a trainer or some EXPERT in dog behavior?
How do you know is was abused?
Maybe you need to find a dog expert to talk to or turn him over to.
Maybe you need to take him to a dog park when it is empty and use 100" of para cord as a leash to let him exercise!

Or better yet...you keep him, as you now know so much about him and from your reports, he is happy and he likes you and you will really miss him when he is gone...
(sounds like you dont want him gone and you are looking for excuses to keep him since it has been a month now)

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I'm far from an expert but what are you basing your abuse assumptions on? My 2 year old boxer/pit mix was definitely neglected, he was 48#s when I got him and is now over 70, but a lot of the behavior you describe is similar to Marley's and I don't believe he was physically abused at all. They are stubborn, stubborn dogs but super sensative. It takes 2 people, a bag of treats, and about a healthy half an hour to cut his nails although I have never made it unpleasant for him. For some reason he just doesn't like it and won't have it without a fight, thrash, thrash, thrash; BUT he will sit, lay, and shake on command. He was awful on the leash until I got that head/face thing, now other than being a butthole when I first put it on he's easy to walk. I guess the point I'm getting at is, he may not have been abused it may just be his personality. Boxers tend to be giant buttholes, very sweet and smart buttholes but buttholes none the less.

The vet said he showed signs that he had been abused by someone in the past. But I guess it's possible he's always been like that and was never abused. There really is no way to know. I would not allow that dog any where near kids, or any unsuspecting adults for that matter. He explodes with defensiveness - that has to be worked through or he could end up biting someone

Obedience stuff is altogether different - he just needs training in walking W/O pulling. He also needs more experience with seeing things he wants to go after, and teaching him that it's not appropriate to bolt/lunge after other people/critters.

When I tried to put a collar on him the 1st time, he growled. I had to restrain him some how, so I talked to him and was able to collar him.

A week later when I tried to put a harness on him, I got 1 leg through and he suddenly growled, jumped, thrashed until I stopped.

Not long ago, on a really cold morning, I tried to put a doggie coat on him, and as I slipped it over his head he went nuts growling and thrashing around, so I took it off instead if trying to fasten the belly part.

He obviously has issues with people putting certain things around his neck/body. So he needs to work through that. However, when I brought him in after walking in the rain, I used a towel to dry him off and he was okay with that. I really expected him to be defensive about the towel (after the dog coat incident), but he wasn't

He'd be better off with someone who can properly assess his needs, address them, and get him adopted into a suitable family. I don't have the skills to properly assess him, if I did I would handle his adoption myself.

Katelin

They were unable to draw blood or give any shots at all.

I wish I knew more about rehabbing abused dogs. I just don't have anything to offer this boy other than the temporary home he's had here.

I dont believe this....poop has to be sent to the "lab"? What a joke! Every Vet I know does it in-house by the Vet Tech....!!

I also can not believe that you took him to the vet and he was not given any vaccinations..No rabies vaccine? that is crazy!

Katelin

Boxer Rescue how to

Google Boxer Rescue and email everyone single one of the groups..over 1000.
Pick up the phone and start calling thse groups.
Just because one is on the West Coast does not mean they are not an option. At least they know MORE about this dog then you do and may have a contact in this area.
Get busy and start emailing and calling today!

Best to have a standard letter with several great photos attached to do a mass mailing.
Get a new, temporary email address to send from and to recieve to..call it BuddyBoyBoxer or something specific to the dog so you can seperate it from all your other email.
It is also easier to go and see who you have contacted!

There is NO reason to still have a dog you admit you can not work with for over a month!
If you really care about this dog, do him a favor and get busy finding him a rescue that can help him now!

Katelin

Animal Rescue 101

. If I go get it, can a rescue or someone else take it from me?

FYI Arky....
Next time try "EPA"....
(Basic Animal Rescue 101)

Evaluate.......
Plan.....
Act....

Evaluate the situation.
Can I do this?
What is the real story?
Can I afford to get involved (time, money, resources)?
Are there others who can help out?
How many animals?
How much time will it take?
How much time can I give?
Is there another group that can do this if I can't?
Reminder: It is OK to say , "No, I can not help." and walk away.

Plan the rescue/recovery (what, where, who, why, how)
Add in a timeline with realistic options.
Brief your team/volunteers.
Practice any rescue skills before you act.
Prep your tools, traps, caging, placement areas before you go.
Have a practice session so everyone knows the plan.
Put plan in writing!

Act on that plan.
Follow thru on your plan, be honest in your expectations and limits.
Do not put yourself in harms way.
Have an emergency bailout.
Work within your timeline.
Dont get sucked into the problem.
Know you can walk away at anytime.
Be flexable, listen to team members.
Document outcome.

"Know that the best EPA is subject to failure.
Not all animals can be rescued."

This is Animal Rescue 101.