Tell me it is not true..

annemayer

These pictures are the same you would see from any major news outlet. I don't have an opinion on that.

Your list is not accurate. I have carried dead bodies before. Recon officers have to photo the evidence etc. Securing scenes with dead people all the time. Do you want to know what it's like to babysit corpse in a confined space that has been dead for several weeks? I suspect not. Police officers where all hats. This has nothing to do with the OP. Again just a sad accident that people want to exploit and vent their own hatred.

I think the point a lot of people have made on here,myself included,is that an accident is something that happens with no ill intent or real reason. So,if you are speeding,not paying attention,thinking you are above the law,and you mow down a pedestrian,it is not an accident. Same as the officer who murdered the young lady in Calvert with his vehicle. It's not exploitation,it is about justice. This officer should be being treated as anyone else,and if it were anyone else,these same question would be asked. Yogi was never seen by anyone,ever,in the road. He was never observed to be drunk. He was old,and maybe he had a medical emergency that led him off his path that evening. And maybe,just maybe,the officer was doing the speed limit,eyes and hands where they belong,in a very well lit area,and under a full moon,and trained to drive defensively,yet an could not evade an 86 year old person slowly moving in the highway. Of course that sounds plausible.:whistle: You seem more focused on letting everyone know what a great cop or whatever you are/were,and missing the obvious. This thread may be intended by some of you as a memorial,but to me,it is about calling people to stop blindly accepting propaganda being handed to them. You said yourself police wear many hats,sometimes it is a criminals. Perhaps officers would not have to deal with so much atrocity if they would stop their part in creating it.

spinner

a more fitting memorial....

for this man might be for drivers to slow down and pay attention to what's around them. Maybe when that cell phone rings remember how fast accidents happen and how quickly lives can change.
This gentleman did some work for us years ago when he lived on Jones Wharf Rd, moving dirt and much with his bucket loader, he was a nice guy that could talk your ear off. He told us alot of his story and I'd stop to talk to him sometimes when I was out walking. I hope it was quick and he didn't feel any pain, and I'd like to think that somewhere in the universe he's driving that bucket loader, because he sure did miss it when he couldn't drive it anymore.

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
Daughter just went to the bank and took these pics...so sweet of people.

Attachments

• 20110121121605.JPG
    20110121121605.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 190
  • 20110121121642.JPG
    20110121121642.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 197

BELDsmom

If Mr. Baird does receive the honor of being buried at Arlington, here is the link to check and see. Morbid I know but it would be nice for any or all of us to pay him the last respect he deserves. If anyone has a memorial walk/ fund or something can you please PM me. Thanks
Arlington National Cemetery

Annoying_Boy

These pictures are the same you would see from any major news outlet. I don't have an opinion on that.

Your list is not accurate. I have carried dead bodies before. Recon officers have to photo the evidence etc. Securing scenes with dead people all the time. Do you want to know what it's like to babysit corpse in a confined space that has been dead for several weeks? I suspect not. Police officers where all hats. This has nothing to do with the OP. Again just a sad accident that people want to exploit and vent their own hatred.

You guys should have a rule.

Whoever shoots or runs over the person gets to babysit the body.

:popcorn:

blazinlow89

Big Poppa
Jim Baird as he is known was pretty cool. Had the oppurtunity several times to have conversations with him. He was good friends with my girlfriends grandfather and would always stop by to talk to him. As for the mower, if you have every driven down Old Hollywood rd he would cut the grass up and down the road, rake the leaves and just keep the sides of the road clean. As for walking in the middle of the road, highly doubtful, anytime someone would pass him he would push the mower to the side of the road and stop walking, wait for the vehicle to pass and then proceed on his way.

I think the lawnmower with the egg crate was more of his only way to move stuff from place to place. He did have the bobcat but the MSP told him he wasnt allowed to drive it anymore on the road, for whatever reason so im guessing that is where the mower came from. Girls grandfather eve had a sign in his garage that said Jim Beards Bobcat service.

As for the camper burning down he used to live on the farm back off of Old Hollywood rd and the rumor going around at the time was that some kids where back there playing around and the camper caught fire, some how he got a new one and was living at the house on Old Hollywood. Old man was tough would be out around sunrise pushing his mower and wouldnt be back sometimes till after dark, every day, all day.

He had some good stories too, he will be missed. RIP

On a another note i heard the accident scene was so horrific that the fire department had to come out and spray the road down to get the blood off, not sure on that just what i had heard.

ciwmj

I had been told in the past that this gentleman's name was Jim Beard.....does anyone know if that is right?

Before he was nicknamed Yogi , he was nick named Jim. He didn't have James as a name and I don't know where this came from. I met him in the 50's when he was a member of what is now Bay District Fire Dept. He was a Veteran who was wounded. He had a speech impediment which made him hard to understand .He used the lawnmower as a walker to keep his balance as he wasn't very steady.
He was a very competent welder when he was younger and was injured in a welding explosion.For various reasons he he lost his home, car,etc. He had no family that I know of.He was a good person who had some bad luck during his life. I beleive that what I have related is correct,anyone that knows otherwise can correct me.

Last edited:

sunflower

Loving My Life...
I was told that his speech was the way it was because he had his tongue cut off in the war. Anyone know if that's true?

foodcritic

I think the point a lot of people have made on here,myself included,is that an accident is something that happens with no ill intent or real reason. So,if you are speeding,not paying attention,thinking you are above the law,and you mow down a pedestrian,it is not an accident.
Again a completely irrational, inaccurate statement of ignorance or blind hatred....not sure which.

Same as the officer who murdered the young lady in Calvert with his vehicle.
No was not murder. Use a dictionary.

It's not exploitation,it is about justice. This officer should be being treated as anyone else,and if it were anyone else,these same question would be asked.
Yes he should. And no evidence you have provided suggest otherwise.

Yogi was never seen by anyone,ever,in the road.
According to witnesses this sad day he was.

He was never observed to be drunk. He was old,and maybe he had a medical emergency that led him off his path that evening.
Thats not the fault of the vehicle operator.

And maybe,just maybe,the officer was doing the speed limit,eyes and hands where they belong,in a very well lit area,and under a full moon,and trained to drive defensively,yet an could not evade an 86 year old person slowly moving in the highway. Of course that sounds plausible.:whistle:
Even if the operator was not perfect and was speeding it's still an accident with mitigating factors. Not some conspiracy or worse yet calling it murder or homicide or whatever you think it is.

You seem more focused on letting everyone know what a great cop or whatever you are/were,and missing the obvious.
Don't assume. You have already demonstrated where that will lead you.

This thread may be intended by some of you as a memorial,but to me,it is about calling people to stop blindly accepting propaganda being handed to them. You said yourself police wear many hats,sometimes it is a criminals. Perhaps officers would not have to deal with so much atrocity if they would stop their part in creating it.

Toots your the only one pushing propaganda here. No facts just slander. Borrowing the play book of the democratic party.

I won't say anymore on this. Leave it to remember the poor old guy.

mitzi

Let's leave this as a thread for sharing the experiences of the man. I've enjoyed reading what some have shared as I did not know him personally. I talked to him many times though when he would be shopping when I worked at McKay's. He was always laughing and so pleasant. I had the utmost respect for him
Let's stop the lynch mob on the trooper. Maybe Yogi was crossing the road when he was hit. Maybe the trooper was speeding. This we will never know for certain. It was dark and I've said many times that I wished he would wear something reflective when he was walking in the dark. The trooper has to live with this the rest of his life. It serves no purpose for people to be be calling him a murderer, etc. as if he purposely ran Yogi down. It is all simply very sad.

LadyCoyote

Daughter just went to the bank and took these pics...so sweet of people.

That is sweet!! And nice of you to post those, too. I have to say, it feels a little weird driving down that road and knowing I won't be seeing him stroll by anymore. Sounds like he had hard life but he just kept on 'truckin', and he didn't hurt or bother anyone. Some people go thru rough times and get so jaded. He just kept on, keeping on...good for him. Maybe he's pushing that mower along the golden streets of heaven, now. RIP.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Again a completely irrational, inaccurate statement of ignorance or blind hatred....not sure which.

Even if the operator was not perfect and was speeding it's still an accident with mitigating factors. Not some conspiracy or worse yet calling it murder or homicide or whatever you think it is.

Toots your the only one pushing propaganda here. No facts just slander. Borrowing the play book of the democratic party.

Very well done. Thanks.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
I was told that his speech was the way it was because he had his tongue cut off in the war. Anyone know if that's true?
As I recall, from asking my Dad about it some 40+ years ago, the Japanese captors had severed his lingual frenulum resulting in almost no control of his tongue.

Restless

Just a thought....

Does anyone know if "Yogi" had any pets? Since he lived alone and had no family, I'm just wondering if there is a very hungry dog or cat waiting at home for him. I don't know where he lived but would be willing to go check on things if need be. I sort of hope he did so that he had something to come home to every night. I hate to think of him being lonely.

Anyone know how we can check on this?

annemayer

I say what I thought and I stand by it. Use a dictionary to define murder? Use a legal one yourself-murder has varying levels of intent. Contributing to a death is one of those levels. I'll leave this subject be,but I'm only saying what a lot of others think. Now that I have had my say,you should stick with the food critic side of things-you do better when what you are trying to comment on can't talk back.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Does anyone know if "Yogi" had any pets? Since he lived alone and had no family, I'm just wondering if there is a very hungry dog or cat waiting at home for him. I don't know where he lived but would be willing to go check on things if need be. I sort of hope he did so that he had something to come home to every night. I hate to think of him being lonely.

Anyone know how we can check on this?

I'm sure if he did, they will be taken care of by someone on the farm.