Thank you Maryland for a law that Prevents us from Discounted Gas

black dog

Free America
Maybe. It's owned by The Wills Group which is headquartered in La Plata.
Yep, I thought Blackie Wills Jr still owned/ran Wills Group. Not long after his dad turned the helm over to his son, Junior bought over a hundred service stations in the DelMarVa area.

PeoplesElbow

What?

How is $1.25/$100 of assessed value a percent? The assessment might increase by a percentage but the tax rate isn't expressed as that nor are your taxes. Now, some Reality sites will say something like "XXX% of assessment" but that's not how taxes are assessed or calculated.

I dod explain it, you're the one who must have added your own "thoughts".
That's 1.25%

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
That's 1.25%
No, it's not.

Your property tax is the assessed value divided by 100 times the jurisdiction's tax rate.

You live in St. Mary's County (not Leonardtown to make it simpler since you'd also pay Town property taxes). Your County property tax rate is $0.8478. Your State property tax rate is $0.1120 for a total $0.9598.
Your house is assessed at $500,000. Divide that by 100 (500,000/100) and your taxable base is $5000. Multiply that by $0.9598 and your tax bill is, exclusive of any special assessments for sewer, trash, fire service, etc., $4799.

I guess you can express that as a percentage but it's not how its calculated or levied.

It used to be more complicated, properties were taxed on 30% of the assessed value so tax rates were higher. The Legislature changed that to tax on the full assessment because the higher rates made a negative comparison to other states, especially Virginia, when trying to recruit businesses. The legislature also had to stipulate that rates had to decrease to reflect the new assessment model. Some local officials were almost creaming in their jeans contemplating how much more revenue would come in with 100% assessments using the old rates based on 30%.

Last edited:

phreddyp

Here is a serious question, do you think this is the only place mom and pop stations existed in recent history?

How did those stations elsewhere have similar prices to the Sheetz, WaWa, Royal Farms, Crystal, Circle K etc oh oil industry expert?
Oh enlightened one that is an extremely easy question, THEY EVOLVED. They went from 2 or 3 bay garages to multi use sites, most went into selling snacks, fast food, cigarettes, liquor, coffee, doughnuts all which have higher profit margins some went into oil change places. When you have higher margins on some sales you can afford to lower the margins on the bait (gas, diesel) kinda like having a sale but it's in effect 24/7/365. I started typing my response last night and spread out the typing over time as to give you a fighting chance to understand it better.

If a business needs a 20% return you can bet your ass that the business owner is gonna find a way to obtain it, that is why when the left raises taxes or requirements on a business the business responds and usually the response is to raise prices above what the actual costs are to the business.
The bottom line is that businesses do not pay tax the consumer does.

PeoplesElbow

Oh enlightened one that is an extremely easy question, THEY EVOLVED. They went from 2 or 3 bay garages to multi use sites, most went into selling snacks, fast food, cigarettes, liquor, coffee, doughnuts all which have higher profit margins some went into oil change places. When you have higher margins on some sales you can afford to lower the margins on the bait (gas, diesel) kinda like having a sale but it's in effect 24/7/365. I started typing my response last night and spread out the typing over time as to give you a fighting chance to understand it better.

If a business needs a 20% return you can bet your ass that the business owner is gonna find a way to obtain it, that is why when the left raises taxes or requirements on a business the business responds and usually the response is to raise prices above what the actual costs are to the business.
The bottom line is that businesses do not pay tax the consumer does.
So, you never answered the question, I never said a thing about taxes either.

All I stated was mom and pop was ripping people off until the big boys moved into town and you refuse to believe it. It sounds like you prefer to believe they were just dinosaurs that were stuck in the past then that's fine. Elsewhere in the country, even just an hour away mom and pop stations existed just fine along side the big boys for decades. The bottom line was you had to pay significantly more here until sheetz and wawa came to town.

phreddyp

So, you never answered the question, I never said a thing about taxes either.

All I stated was mom and pop was ripping people off until the big boys moved into town and you refuse to believe it. It sounds like you prefer to believe they were just dinosaurs that were stuck in the past then that's fine. Elsewhere in the country, even just an hour away mom and pop stations existed just fine along side the big boys for decades. The bottom line was you had to pay significantly more here until sheetz and wawa came to town.
Yeah kinda like being overcharged by GM Ford and Chrysler before the rice burners showed.

Competition usually does lower prices but that doesn't mean you are being ripped off, I tried to show you (unsuccessfully I might add) why the price difference is mostly due to cost of doing business. When a business runs into competition which has a cost advantage you either adapt or die! Was that so hard to understand?

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Yes it is, just another way to express it, expressing sales tax as $0.06 per $1 is 6%
OK, but that's not how the property tax system works in Maryland. I see what you're saying but taxes aren't based on a percentage. Realtors sometimes use that verbiage to confuse buyers.

PeoplesElbow

Yeah kinda like being overcharged by GM Ford and Chrysler before the rice burners showed.

Competition usually does lower prices but that doesn't mean you are being ripped off, I tried to show you (unsuccessfully I might add) why the price difference is mostly due to cost of doing business. When a business runs into competition which has a cost advantage you either adapt or die! Was that so hard to understand?
I never said it wasn't.

They were ripping you off by being stuck in the past. I don't give a crap about their costs, only mine.

Do you really think Ford, GM and Chrysler weren't ripping people off with the cars that rusted in the showroom?

Clem72

Yes it is, just another way to express it, expressing sales tax as $0.06 per $1 is 6%
I'm with you here, percent LITERALLY MEANS PER 100. So regardless of the unit of measure (USD, cubits of land, or kicks in the nuts) it's a percent.

$0.9598 per $100 is literally 0.96 percent.

I can maybe see where NorthBeachPerson is upset about the obfuscated way they determine what percentage to use, but that doesn't change basic math. This feels like one of those situations where someone learns something that most people already know, and then assumes no one else understands it because it was difficult for them to understand.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
I'm with you here, percent LITERALLY MEANS PER 100. So regardless of the unit of measure (USD, cubits of land, or kicks in the nuts) it's a percent.

$0.9598 per $100 is literally 0.96 percent.

I can maybe see where NorthBeachPerson is upset about the obfuscated way they determine what percentage to use, but that doesn't change basic math. This feels like one of those situations where someone learns something that most people already know, and then assumes no one else understands it because it was difficult for them to understand.
I'm not upset about anything. It's the way that most people can't understand how it's done and keep insisting it's done in a way that it isn't. Kind of like the people who compare house prices by using cost per square foot.

phreddyp

I never said it wasn't.

They were ripping you off by being stuck in the past. I don't give a crap about their costs, only mine.

Do you really think Ford, GM and Chrysler weren't ripping people off with the cars that rusted in the showroom?
Paranoia great destroyer.

DannyMotorcycle

So now the big guys just switch the bait around a little bit.. "discounts on gas" and other "rewards"..
Kind of reminds me of how it is/was illegal to sell marijuana in DC so they sell Tshirts and give you the MJ.. or something like that..
That's not my thing, i heard that's how it works. don't know for sure.. but then again i think they have medical licenses now or something. dunno don't care.