The Passion of Mary Magdalen

Geek

vraiblonde said:
Well, Jai just outed Oz as a horny dude who chokes his woman out, so I really can't think about Jesus right now. :twitch:

Now is when you need Him most :poorbaby:

Geek

vraiblonde said:
You can't "think differently" about Scripture. It is what it is, not what people want it to be.

Each Gospel is slightly different. Which one is right?

Coaster

elaine said:
Because they think differently, they're not narrow minded.

Could be worse, could be dealing with Muslims. Try publishing a book that is critical and/or satirical of Muhammad. Can't even have a picture of the man.
Hey, lets make some t-shirts.
But yes, 'Christians' need to lead more by example, than bumper stickers.

Christy

b*tch rocket
vraiblonde said:
Well, Jai just outed Oz as a horny dude who chokes his woman out, so I really can't think about Jesus right now. :twitch:

:yikes: :faint: You gonna hook a sista up with a link? :popcorn:

Pete

Repete
vraiblonde said:
I think it's rude. Why not make them fictional characters instead of based on religious figures? Same story, less offensive.

But I think that's the point of movies/books like this - to offend Christians. Otherwise why would they do it?
Exactly, there is a broad line between a "different perspective" and crass behavior intended to be rude.

What is the point of offending Christians? Let them believe what they want.:shrug: Busting on someone's religion, with the exception of the Scientology goofballs, has never given me a warm fuzzy.

rack'm

Jaded
vraiblonde said:
Let us pray:

Dear Lord, please take the image of Oz and Jai out of my mind. That was WAY too much information. :twitch:

Tigger and TWL up against the Coke machine at Poppa Johns was WTMI!!!!!!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
rack'm said:
Tigger and TWL up against the Coke machine at Poppa Johns was WTMI!!!!!!
I don't know either of them IRL. Plus I don't get pizza from that Papa Johns anyway, so they can sweat all over it for all I care.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Why is it acceptable for christians to believe their fiction, but it's not okay for athiests to believe our fiction?

Why is it okay to take creative liberty with some truths, but not those truths considered christain?

I don't think books are written or movies are made to offend anyone. They're nothing more than thought provoking entertainment, made from a different perspective. A different truth, if you will. Christians also do not accept the gnostic scriptures. Does that make them any less authentic or truthful?

Christy

b*tch rocket
Geek said:
Don't read it if the thought of Jesus having a lover offends you.

Wasn't that what I was saying in the first place? :shrug: It doesn't so much offend me, as I'm not fanatical. The whole thought of Jesus having sex skeezes me out though. Sort of like reading a fictional book that someone wrote and used my parents as the main banging characters. :barf:

I wonder how many people would be turned on or feel enlightened by a book portraying Santa and Mrs. Clause bangin it out like rabbits. :faint: It's just sort of creepy. Know what I mean? :ohwell:

Christy

b*tch rocket
elaine said:
Why is it acceptable for christians to believe their fiction, but it's not okay for athiests to believe our fiction?

Why is it okay to take creative liberty with some truths, but not those truths considered christain?

I don't think books are written or movies are made to offend anyone. They're nothing more than thought provoking entertainment, made from a different perspective. A different truth, if you will. Christians also do not accept the gnostic scriptures. Does that make them any less authentic or truthful?

You just like thinking of Jesus doing it don't you? :really: :wink:

Seriously though, my intent was not to start a religious debate, merely to state that Jesus doing it creeps me the hell out, and I can see how it would offend some, and rightly so. :shrug:

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Christy said:
Sort of like reading a fictional book that someone wrote and used my parents as the main banging characters. :barf:

Exactly. No child finds the thought of their parents banging tasteful, but that doesn't make it a lie.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Christy said:
You just like thinking of Jesus doing it don't you? :really: :wink:

Seriously though, my intent was not to start a religious debate, merely to state that Jesus doing it creeps me the hell out, and I can see how it would offend some, and rightly so. :shrug:

I find it interesting that, in the entertainment section, the only thing that makes waves is anything that addresses the bible. This isn't the religious thread, but people will still jump on the "defend the christians beliefs" band wagon.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
elaine said:
Do you believe that fictional works are true? Are they sacred to you?

They're nothing more than thought provoking entertainment
Albeit offensive, which is the goal. I think it's rude.

Pete

Repete
elaine said:

Nobody cares if you are an atheist or not. :shrug: Sure there are some pushy sects of organized religion who are zealous about bringing people into the fold but you just tell them "Sorry not interested".

The deal with me is that although not religious myself I recognize that Jesus/God/Insert deity here is "sacred" to some people. I respect the sanctity of their deity of choice therefore I feel mocking it is off limits because it is disrespectful.

Discussing a religious point to gain understanding is one thing, to mock, degrade, be blasphemous, or argue with the main point or goal of disproving something someone feels so strongly about just for the feeling of accomplishment is just plain wrong to me and it doesn't matter if it is gnostic or not.

I suppose in a nutshell busting on someones religion is just classless and not in good taste. Except for the Scientologists :lol:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
elaine said:
I find it interesting that, in the entertainment section, the only thing that makes waves is anything that addresses the bible.
And now you know why authors write books like this. Who would care if it was a book about Jimmy and Lisa and their passionate romance in 34AD? But she made it a controversial book about Christ getting jiggy because she knew people would read it.