The S&P 500

mamatutu

mama to two
Just stating that I have no idea what you mean by that either.

Well, your comment about getting a room was dumb. And, I was pointing out that DW shows animosity in his replies for no reason. If you don't get that then, DoWhatmakesyoufeelbetter.

PeoplesElbow

Well, your comment about getting a room was dumb. And, I was pointing out that DW shows animosity in his replies for no reason. If you don't get that then, DoWhatmakesyoufeelbetter.

Sweetie you read way too far into stuff and take what you read on the internet way too seriously.

mamatutu

mama to two
I tried to tell you.

Well, I never thought I would say this to any member, but you are an idiot. Enjoy your crown.

And the fact that you twist threads. Quite an accomplishment. Unless, members, acutally, read a thread. You go, boy!

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Well, I never thought I would say this to any member, but you are an idiot. Enjoy your crown.

And the fact that you twist threads. Quite an accomplishment. Unless, members, acutally, read a thread. You go, boy!

So Sweetie, what would you recommend for a good investment that has a good return?

Last edited:

PeoplesElbow

The thread was pretty much on topic till you came in toots.

LibertyBeacon

Unto dust we shall return
Missing an opportunity is losing money.

I was figuring on a 10% correction, figured I would get out save that 10% of value and get back into the C fund at a 10% discount.

I made out some in 2008 with this strategy.

Assuming you think this is an actual correction, I think your strategy makes sense. Where we differ is that I don't see this as a major correction, but rather just a bump in the positive slope. The market still has a lot of juice to give from easing, IMO. I'm not making any allocation changes and am planning on riding it out for a bit longer. I typically make rebalancing changes in December of every year, so I'll start thinking about that while in my easy chair fighting off the tryptophan-induced coma on Thanksgiving night.

I don't really understand what was wrong with mama's advice. She may otherwise be crazy, but if you're looking to make small bumps like this into "opportunities", I wouldn't be risking as large a chunk of your assets as it seems you are. I'd view that as relatively high-risk money. Of course you know your strategy better than anyone else, so I assume this is consistent with your personal risk/reward model.

To that end, I have a (relatively small) percentage of my portfolio set aside specifically for things like timing moves or to mitigate any downside I'm facing. For example, looking at GOPRO as a short to cover less-than-expected to-date returns for. I bought some at just under $40 and sold at the first $90 crossing. It's then tested the resistance a second time, and retreated slightly. I don't know what the "C fund" is or how it operates, but I have to consider taxes and transaction costs on every decision I make. You may not have that constraint.

The thing about GOPRO is, I think fundamentals are solid, but I'm not sure I ever saw support beyond $60/share. You and DoWhat look at the chart and give me your thoughts.

Last edited:

PeoplesElbow

but if you're looking to make small bumps like this into "opportunities", I wouldn't be risking as large a chunk of your assets as it seems you are.

I'm seeing this as a once in every 5 year opportunity. Most people don't quite understand what I am trying to do, I am not trying to find the peaks and valleys, that would be optimum but would involve so much luck. What I am doing is just trying to soften the valleys so the drops aren't nearly as bad.

LibertyBeacon

Unto dust we shall return
I'm seeing this as a once in every 5 year opportunity. Most people don't quite understand what I am trying to do, I am not trying to find the peaks and valleys, that would be optimum but would involve so much luck. What I am doing is just trying to soften the valleys so the drops aren't nearly as bad.

I got you. I am saying two things in response: (a) I don't think this "correction" will be sustained; and (b) even it I felt it were, I'd use a separate "pool" of money, deployed wisely, to achieve the goal of smoothing the valleys.

But here again it depends on your investment horizon. If you're long on the S&P500 (which this C Fund of which y'all speak mirrors it seems), then that by definition means you are bullish on that index (and the segments of the market that index represents) over that same time horizon. To my taste and fund management approach, I'd want to leave that money where it is, doing what it is supposed to be doing, and use other funds which are designed for the purpose of amplifying returns or softening the downside. I also think the fact I have to worry about tax consequences and transaction fees may change my calculus given the same sets of inputs.

PeoplesElbow

For a certain member who doesn't believe "the math" here it is in detail.

tsp calculation.jpg

PeoplesElbow

To that end, I have a (relatively small) percentage of my portfolio set aside specifically for things like timing moves or to mitigate any downside I'm facing. For example, looking at GOPRO as a short to cover less-than-expected to-date returns for. I bought some at just under $40 and sold at the first $90 crossing. It's then tested the resistance a second time, and retreated slightly. I don't know what the "C fund" is or how it operates, but I have to consider taxes and transaction costs on every decision I make. You may not have that constraint.

The thing about GOPRO is, I think fundamentals are solid, but I'm not sure I ever saw support beyond $60/share. You and DoWhat look at the chart and give me your thoughts.

Sorry man forgot about this the other day. I see GoPro as a trendy stock and has just had its run much like YHOO and JDSU did during the tech boom. The multiple is just too great and the recent controversy of the owners dumping their stock while still in the "lockout period" would have me cashing out as soon as I could.

I play with options some but I am definitely no expert with them, I don't think they are to the point yet where I would buy calls but I would definitely keep the idea at the front of my thoughts if it was a stock that you want to follow. Even if it was your full time job, I don't think anyone can truly follow more than 10-15 stocks at a time, part timers more like 5.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
I think it is going to bleed out for a couple more weeks. Hopefully just a couple more weeks. I have been out of stock since the third week of May, I jumped the gun a bit and would been better off if I had waited till the middle of Sept but can't win them all.

Regret?

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
Question Elbow, Why are you in the 2040 lifecycle vise just going with F/C/S/I, not worry about the G which is 18% of fund? Those are what i'm in and it's a 10/30/30/30 payday deposit into each. And i look at the dollar cost avg vise timing thing... I'm 55 and max'd out with max catch up and i have done very well with that and not having to worry about the market really. As i type this i probably should do a rebalance and start moving things to the F fund and allotments should maybe change a little bit maybe 25/25/25/25. Your thoughts?