The S&P 500

PeoplesElbow

Question Elbow, Why are you in the 2040 lifecycle vise just going with F/C/S/I, not worry about the G which is 18% of fund? Those are what i'm in and it's a 10/30/30/30 payday deposit into each. And i look at the dollar cost avg vise timing thing... I'm 55 and max'd out with max catch up and i have done very well with that and not having to worry about the market really. As i type this i probably should do a rebalance and start moving things to the F fund and allotments should maybe change a little bit maybe 25/25/25/25. Your thoughts?

I originally went to the 2040 fund about a year ago, US markets had made a lot in 2013 and I was thinking there was a bubble that would be burst soon. Then in May of this past year I got a really bad feeling when Walmart missed earnings, I probably read more into it than I should have but I still don't exactly trust this market. The life cycle funds do re-balance themselves automatically so I figured I would get into one and stay there. I'm 40 and have made a lot and probably am more fearful about losing it than I should be on the TSP but hey I know a couple guys in their 20's that only are in the G fund, I tried to convince them to at least go to the L Income fund but they are afraid.

My IRA account I am fearless with, I trade options a lot with it. If you don't know much about options you can lose absolutely everything with them, if they expire they go to a value of zero.

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
k, there have been storys about the young generation not saving.... They should be in HIGHEST risk and atleast to to put in so they get a match, tell them to not worry let dollar cost avg be their friend.... My IRA i have left alone, took a big hit during the crash, didn't sell and am way better off now. using mix of lrg,med,sm,overseas,bonds mutal funds etc. Quite amazed i am where i am....

best of luck, i am not risky with my monies!!!!!

PeoplesElbow

Just an update, I have been out of stocks with this original chunk of money for over 18 months now and have more than I would if I stayed in the L2040 fund.

A year later Go Pro sure isn't doing all that well.

Another day like today and I will get back in.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Just an update, I have been out of stocks with this original chunk of money for over 18 months now and have more than I would if I stayed in the L2040 fund.

A year later Go Pro sure isn't doing all that well.

Another day like today and I will get back in.
The way I look at it right now, I am buying low.

I have money in a 'safe' fund, and when the market dips low like today, I have my money manager transfer portions of it into a high yield fund. Did that Wen, not knowing today would do the same.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Buy low, sell high!

You haven't lose or gained any money until you sell. Otherwise it's just how many shares you own.

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
But its about dollar cost avging right, I would hope you don't need to hit your TSP for a long time, so these bi monthly deposits you are getting @ xx in 2016, would be worth zz 15 years from now. Vise an in and out... Everyone have their opinion on how to play the market. Do you ever look @ boglehead.com. with a look!!!