This speach sucks bad!

BuddyLee

Football addict
2ndAmendment said:
BL,
Check this out http://www.grifent.com/docsLinks/docs/US-Constitution.htm

Show me where the Federal government is allowed to do any disaster recovery or allocation of funds for that. Sorry, it is not the Feds job. Period. End of story.

It is stupid to build below sea level. It is even more stupid to rebuild below sea level.
I know this is not the Feds job but why have they always insisted in the immediate past? It seems as if the Feds do a lot of things they don't need to.

Also, not to open a can-o-worms, is it our Federal governments job to promote and allocate democracy abroad?

T

tikipirate

BuddyLee said:
<o:p></o:p>
Why don't we disband North and South Carolina from the Union...?<o:p></o:p>

I wholeheartedly propose that we make Richmond, VA the capital.

ylexot

Super Genius
BuddyLee said:
You could certainly use this as a metaphor for Iraq. Oh, and I'll be sure to send you the bill for what we're losing without this major port city.
Why not just rebuild your major port city ABOVE SEA LEVEL! It would be much cheaper.

ylexot

Super Genius
Ben Stein (Beuller...Beuller...Bueller) was on Fox yesterday slamming Bush on his plan. The newscaster (can't remember his name) said something about Bush being a fiscal conservative and Ben said something like "I'm a huge Bush fan, but he's never been a fiscal conservative". :killingme

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
BuddyLee said:
Also, not to open a can-o-worms, is it our Federal governments job to promote and allocate democracy abroad?
No. It is theri job to protect and defend the United States. If we are attacked by an enemy, state, individual, or organization; it is their job to go after them.

BuddyLee

Football addict
ylexot said:
Why not just rebuild your major port city ABOVE SEA LEVEL! It would be much cheaper.
Where do you propose we do this? Wouldn't we be missing out on the 'port' capital?

BuddyLee

Football addict
2ndAmendment said:
No. It is theri job to protect and defend the United States. If we are attacked by an enemy, state, individual, or organization; it is their job to go after them.
I wholeheartedly agree with this but are you making an exception when they go off on a 'democracy' tangent?

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
BuddyLee said:
Where do you propose we do this? Wouldn't we be missing out on the 'port' capital?
Just upstream a bit from the present position of NO would be fine on firm ground and not delta silt.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
BuddyLee said:
I wholeheartedly agree with this but are you making an exception when they go off on a 'democracy' tangent?
The "democracy tangent" can be a byproduct of knocking off a bunch of bad guys. It should not be the reason for war; it could and hopefully is the outcome of one.

BuddyLee

Football addict
ylexot said:
On the coast...yet another thing that is not rocket science.
Where specifically? Plus, isn't this a hypocritical idea to offer, being a conservative? Which piece of the Gulf coast are you going to communize? Are you willing to spend all the money for all the lawyers, court cases, and any other red tape to follow? This idea flows well with the 'port' revenue that NO obtains. 2A's idea is a little more sound but we might lose that major port revenue by moving upstream. NO also gets a large bulk of money from tourists who want to see this American historic city, goodbye to that as well. I don't think we'll rebuild elsewhere, I think we'll find something innovative and rebuild like we always do.

So say Baltimore goes under water. The city needs rebuilt, they choose St. Mary's, you would be pissed, no?

K

Kain99

BuddyLee said:
Where specifically? Plus, isn't this a hypocritical idea to offer, being a conservative? Which piece of the Gulf coast are you going to communize? Are you willing to spend all the money for all the lawyers, court cases, and any other red tape to follow? This idea flows well with the 'port' revenue that NO obtains. 2A's idea is a little more sound but we might lose that major port revenue by moving upstream. NO also gets a large bulk of money from tourists who want to see this American historic city, goodbye to that as well. I don't think we'll rebuild elsewhere, I think we'll find something innovative and rebuild like we always do.

So say Baltimore goes under water. The city needs rebuilt, they choose St. Mary's, you would be pissed, no?
Gee BL.. I think I disagree with you. It is not sound, to build in New Orleans. I am suprised you think so.

BuddyLee

Football addict
Kain99 said:
Gee BL.. I think I disagree with you. It is not sound, to build in New Orleans. I am suprised you think so.
Believe me, I don't think it's a sound idea to rebuild in NO but I do think we as the great and grandiose Americans will find out someway, somehow to defeat this sinking giant. I'm not ready to give up on the idea of throwing this major port city, this great historic American city to the toilet bowl.

ylexot

Super Genius
BuddyLee said:
Where specifically?
You want a specific location? Fine, give me a topographical map, a geological survey of the area, a road/railway map, a land value map, a population density map, current and projected freight throughput, and a few grand and I'll pick a place.
BuddyLee said:
Plus, isn't this a hypocritical idea to offer, being a conservative? Which piece of the Gulf coast are you going to communize? Are you willing to spend all the money for all the lawyers, court cases, and any other red tape to follow?
Ummm, no. Land gets bought and new port is built. Communize...WTF are you talking about?
BuddyLee said:
This idea flows well with the 'port' revenue that NO obtains. 2A's idea is a little more sound but we might lose that major port revenue by moving upstream.
I still don't know what you are talking about port revenue for. We're not talking about moving the port to the other side of the country. We're talking about moving it a couple miles. Port revenue will be practically identical and may even be more if it is designed/built correctly. I have no idea why you think there would be a loss of port revenue.
BuddyLee said:
NO also gets a large bulk of money from tourists who want to see this American historic city, goodbye to that as well.
:bs: NO has three things that people go there for...jazz, cajun cuisine, and drinking...all of which can be done elsewhere. Very few care about the history. For those that do care, motorboat tours leave on the hour and scuba tours depart twice a day.
BuddyLee said:
Would I be pissed? Hell no! Gee, what would be my response? Oh yeah...JACKPOT! Land value skyrockets, I cash out and move elsewhere.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Hey BL, didn't a case about imminent domain recently make it through the courts? And with that decision it shouldn’t be a court battle as it has been ruled that the government can take what was yours to make it ours, right? :biggrin:

Seriously, keep New Orleans as a port, industrial area only, let businesses build what they need but get those living below sea-level out of there so this doesn't happen again (where is Tropical Depression 18 heading?).

Hessian

Hire The Dutch!

If anyone has learned lessons on keeping the sea back....its the Dutch.
Heck, they now have floating houses too.

Second thought to pop in: Read what David Crockett wrote when facing a financial aid package back in the 1820's while he was a senator. I was amused by his change of heart and his philosophical stand AGAINST the govt. bailing out anybody in a crisis.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
A guy was on Fox News this weekend proposing rebuilding upstream about 40 miles. He proposed preserving the historic areas of New Orleans that are on higher ground like the French Quarter, keeping the road system to access those areas, and building the majority of the commercial, residential, and port facilities upstream about 40 miles. He also proposed building a high speed rail system between the old New Orleans and the new New Orleans, 250 MPH like in Singapore. That would make it a 10 minute trip between the new and the old New Orleans.

The effects of a hurricane diminish quickly when it gets over ground. 40 miles inland would make storm effects much less devastating.

I think they should take proposals like this seriously. Best of both worlds.