To the jackasses

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Like when I stopped at the side of my road on the way to work to call home about something. It was dark and the place I stopped and went to put my right foot down was about a bit further down than I could handle. Plop! Then I had to pick the thing up while standing on a dirt and grass slope. Ugh.

Happens quick, don't it? My long legs and 260 pound center of gravity (beer belly) have saved me a couple times. No doubt.

:buddies:

MDChick

Okay, Bikers: Is it really the worst thing ever to have to put a foot down in traffic? I constantly see idiots on motorcycles ride the line between cars, ride up the shoulder, and brake waaaaay in advance when traffic slows just to avoid coming to a stop. Are there special privileges granted to bikers that I don't know about?

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I have yet to see a real live wreck. Plenty of after math. The wrecks I see happen, tons of them, are in biker bar parking lots. People just totter over at low speed. Sports bikes, cruisers. It's nearly happened to me several times.

:lol:

You should see my scratch paper after a test...

It looks like an after math wreck..

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Okay, Bikers: Is it really the worst thing ever to have to put a foot down in traffic? I constantly see idiots on motorcycles ride the line between cars, ride up the shoulder, and brake waaaaay in advance when traffic slows just to avoid coming to a stop. Are there special privileges granted to bikers that I don't know about?

Well, for one, it is considered skilled to be able to go reaaaaaaalllllll slow without putting a foot down.

For another, we're not interested in coming to a stop so we can check our e mail. We're riding and that takes two hands, two feet and one head unlike a car which takes one foot, one hand, at most and probably 1/4 of your head which is not an insult as much as a statement of fact; it takes little mental capacity to drive a car. It takes a LOT of attention to ride a bike.

As for riding between cars, it's not legal in MD. It is in California, IIRC, and some other places. Coming up the shoulder is likewise not legal.

However, given all that we put into riding and the fact that we take up so little room, there is a big urge to go where we can, how we can, when we can so that we can get where we are going...

...and then put our foot down.

:diva:

creekboyz

On rice rockets at the 235S/Chancellors run light. I hope all 3 of you are organ donors because that's the only thing you'll be good for if you keep driving that way. There is no need for you to turn 235 into MIR. One of the three kinda stayed back a bit. But the other 2 were head to head all way from that light to the light at the Exploration buildings.

Yeah you tell those idiots! I'm sure they will read this and be so upset you told them off on SOMD.com

bcp

In My Opinion
I've never even been on a motorcycle. Just find subdued threats from An automobile driver to "rub" a biker as damn near criminal. Especially for just speeding by and startling the poster. Don't you?

You know, there are a couple of the rice rocket retards that come down the beltway on a regular basis, sometimes, when traffic is moving slow, these bright ones will race between the cars at a high rate of speed, Once, the guy in the front even came past me while pulling a wheelie.

Hate to sound cold, but I look forward to the day that these ass wipes become grease spots. Not that Im willing to contribute on purpose, but its not like Im going to waste time trying to help them. I have important stuff to do.

Thinking of it however, I might stop and make sure the driver of the car involved (if there is one) is not found to be at fault.

itsbob

I bowl overhand

Yes, and no..

there is the bike only passing lane (the space between the two yellow lines)..

BUT in the end riding a bike is risky, and potentially deadly.. MOST of us try to reduce the risk by good driving habits and always watching out for the dicks trying to kill us by talking on their cell phones, or looking at something in their passenger seat instead of at the road, applying makeup, texting, just to name a few. Some NEVER take it for granted that the person in the car is going to stop, or even see us.. We do take it for granted that every person on the road not only CAN kill us, but is trying to kill us.

The other side of the coin is the people that think just riding a motorcycle isn't risky enough and want to increase their chances of serious injury or death. Not a very smart, nor mature strategy, but nonetheless a very popular one. They wear the 100% cotton short sleeve safety gear, novelty helmets, or just plain drive like an idiot.

If you ride there is a very good chance that someday you will either be hit, or low side or high side all by yourself. The chances of you being carried off, or walking it off is entirely up to how the rider is prepared and how he rides. Some can walk away from a "fatal" motorcycle accident, while others die from a simple parking lot maneuver.. totally determined prior to the accident itself.

I understood Vrai's post.. nobody wishes to see anybody dead, but the way they ride they seem to have the desire to be dead.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I saw one of these death wishes this week-end on 235..

Traffic going South is a little backed up so he scoots over into the right turn lane and screams down the road.. I saw it coming, and hoped it wouldn't be TOO bad..

Yep, a pick up truck decides he IS going to turn right, and does want to use the right turn lane. He pulls out, in this case unknowingly and at no fault, in front of the bike.. I thought for sure the biker was going to eat some tailgate, but somehow he slowed in time not to make contact.

Did I wish he had? Of course not, but if he did, I would have had a hard time feeling bad for him.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Not a very smart, nor mature strategy, but nonetheless a very popular one. They wear the 100% cotton short sleeve safety gear, novelty helmets, or just plain drive like an idiot. .

That is soooooooooooo unfair!

It's not like I ride around like some nitwit with NO protection for the boys.

I wear shorts, too.

:angel:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
That is soooooooooooo unfair!

It's not like I ride around like some nitwit with NO protection for the boys.

I wear shorts, too.

:angel:

It's when you combine the threee that you REALLY have an issue..

But we still have to maintain the safety buffer that is afforded by the positive speed differential.. try to stay in front of the accident.

Last edited:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
...I thought for sure the biker was going to eat some tailgate, but somehow he slowed in time not to make contact.

Did I wish he had? Of course not, but if he did, I would have had a hard time feeling bad for him.

I LOVE those guys! They serve not only as a safety lesson that that could have been me nearly killed, "Don't be THAT guy!" BUT also a message of hope that, if it were me, I JUST might squeak it out! "Be THAT guy!"

Yin and yang.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
You know, there are a couple of the rice rocket retards that come down the beltway on a regular basis, sometimes, when traffic is moving slow, these bright ones will race between the cars at a high rate of speed, Once, the guy in the front even came past me while pulling a wheelie.

Hate to sound cold, but I look forward to the day that these ass wipes become grease spots. Not that Im willing to contribute on purpose, but its not like Im going to waste time trying to help them. I have important stuff to do.

Thinking of it however, I might stop and make sure the driver of the car involved (if there is one) is not found to be at fault.

This guy is my personal Rooskie Jesus;

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member

Attachments

• sign.jpg
    sign.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 85

Is it so hard for the cars behind to slow also? Saves gas and brakes to slow well in advance rather than hauling ass up to the light and braking. I happen to know pretty well how long the lights around here work. I play it accordingly. If you see me rolling along toward a green at about 30 you can go ahead and pass me. I'll bet I pass you before you can get through the intersection. Assuming to don't pull back into the lane I'm in and make me slow even more. Also in the summer it is really nice to keep the breeze coming. Plus your shoes/boots get hot after several stops at lights do I'd prefer not to put them down any more than necessary.

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka

When I see them driving between cars in traffic, I fantasize they'll come down between me and a car next to me. I want to quickly open the car door, just about three inches and watch the show in the rearview.

glhs837

Power with Control
I read an article, I think in AARP, that said more motorcycle fatalities occur on cruisers than sportbikes. The riders are younger and more alert and they don't leave APEHangers all lickered up.

There's a couple of unmentioned factors in there, and I think the actual stat might be that older riders are making up a greater percentage of fatalities than they used to. Theres that whole "graying of America" thing, as the population bulge that is the Baby Boomers enter any given period of life, they immediately alter the stats for that period. More people in a given demo means you will see more of everything in that demo. Also, I think older riders are more likely to be riding tandem, and that might skew the stat a little.

Older Bikers Risk Greater Injuries in Crashes – AARP

Found this, says that older riders are more likely to suffer injuires, makes sense, I know I'm more brittle than I was at 25:)

Is it so hard for the cars behind to slow also? Saves gas and brakes to slow well in advance rather than hauling ass up to the light and braking. I happen to know pretty well how long the lights around here work. I play it accordingly. If you see me rolling along toward a green at about 30 you can go ahead and pass me. I'll bet I pass you before you can get through the intersection. Assuming to don't pull back into the lane I'm in and make me slow even more. Also in the summer it is really nice to keep the breeze coming. Plus your shoes/boots get hot after several stops at lights do I'd prefer not to put them down any more than necessary.

What DR said, no point in sitting when you can be rolling. I can actually maintain a slow creep entering the gate most times, only having to put a foot down once or twice. But I dont now, nor have I ever split lanes. Not worth the payoff.

Larry, that guys an azz of the highest water. All it takes is one little kid holding a stuffed toy out the window, and "Jevbus" has ruined a life, some kids, and his own. You wanna do that, dont involve others.