Tony Stewart runs over another racer...

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
That is laughably stupid. You ever hit a deer or come close? Obviously not because, if you had, you'd know they don't just stand there. The one deer I've hit, so far, I could see from about a 1/4 mile away. I started moving away, slowing, moving away, at the last second, he put his head down and CHARGED my truck.

Never mind that that kid was not a deer and Stewart wasn't driving a pick up on a lonely road. Do yourself a favor instead of digging in to a really bad position and trying to come up with absurd analogies that don't apply and don't work anyway, just go read the links.

:buddies:

He could ask Baja! :jet:

:)love: lymi, Baja! )

DipStick

Keep Calm and Don't Care!
Watching ESPN and CNN is embarrassing this morning. They have no clue about NASCAR, as if they'd have any clue about dirt racing.

I didn't know they had spotters in dirt racing. Went to races at Potomac for years and been to World of Outlaws races where the use of spotters and radio communication with the team is prohibited. The spotters in dirt racing must be a brand new thing.

Shutout

It looked to me tony made an abrupt right just before impact. Two possibilities:

1) He had every intention of coming close and mis-judged.

2) Knowing he was in a sprint car, he would know the tail would slide right if he turned left and away, so he turned right hoping the tail would slide left and miss, but it was too late.

I'll give hm the benefit of the doubt on this one, but his past hot-head attitude is gonna mean lots of scrutiny.

I had the same thought about sliding right.

MMM_donuts

The spotters in dirt racing must be a brand new thing.

Perhaps it depends on the location. My ex step dad has used a spotter for Super Stock, Street Stock, and Late Model racing at the dirt track at Bulls Gap, TN, since the late nineties.

Tigerlily

Luvin Life !!!
Plenty of time for fighting after the race. Going out on the track while cars are moving is stupid.

I totally agree. This is a post I made on Facebook earlier after watching the video several times.

"Very sad but that young man should have stayed in that dune buggy looking thing. I don't know how fast they were driving but to me that equates jumping out of your car on the beltway and going into the middle lane to scream at someone who cut you off."

Not that my opinion matters at all but it is entirely possible that Stewart was in a zone. No one knows yet how fast he was going when he struck the other driver. He may very well have known there was a caution and was slowing down but How would he expect or any other driver for that matter that the other driver was going to walk onto the middle of the track?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I think you are correct. Regardless of whether he's at fault or not, I think he's toxic to the sponsors and that's the kiss of death.

Is that what this is about, you just don't like Stewart?

There are three major possibilities here;

1. He is, as you contend, a murderer, lined the kid up and hit him. Pretty tough sell to sponsors.
3. It was an accident that the kid GREATLY contributed to and other drivers are gonna attest that they nearly hit him and it is totally irresponsible to hold Stewart responsible, at all, for this horrible incident. If that is the case, maybe major sponsors stay away until things cool down but, lots of mid and low level people aren't going to just walk away if for no other reason than they can get him cheaper for awhile.

And, of course, 2, the great middle, where, maybe Stewart tried to give him a scare to some degree, VERY unlikely on a dirt track where control is vague at best, and from there, who knows? But, in general, you're probably right; his career could be over.

CrashTest

Does that equal intentionally running a guy over??? And, if we're talking hot head, do you at least hold the kid a little responsible? :buddies:

I haven't tried to mitigate what that other guy did. I'm just not buying the BS that Stewart lacked the wherewithal to avoid hitting that guy and all the damage control spin about reduced visibility, black firesuit, blah, blah, blah.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
I haven't tried to mitigate what that other guy did. I'm just not buying the BS that Stewart lacked the wherewithal to avoid hitting that guy and all the damage control spin about reduced visibility, black firesuit, blah, blah, blah.

Mitigate? Are you serious? What the kid did was the cause of his death. He ran into the path of oncoming traffic and was almost hit by the vehicle in front of Stewart. Where do you think a driver's attention mainly is when on the track, to the front, sides, or the rear?

Larry Gude

Strung Out

By calling it murder, I'd argue you very much mean to mitigate what Ward did.

So far, not even in the comments section of the links I've read, has anyone who races even hinted that Stewarts actions were anything BUT normal reactions to try to avoid hitting Ward.