Traffic stop nightmare

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
A little uncomfortable and definitely embarrassing to have all that done, but 1.6 million should work better to soothe his poor rectum than preparation H.

AND let that be a lesson to everyone NOT to clench their buttocks when they are asked to get out of their vehicle for a search :sarcasm:

stgislander

PREMO Member
People get taxed....tax money goes to this guy....this guy pays taxes.

Police officer involved collects check...paid by taxpayers.

'Murica.

As long as he doesn't build a hidden compartment, he should be ok.

So in a round about way and depending on their tax code, Hidalgo County and the city of Deming will get a chunk of that money back in income taxes if the guy was a resident.

Chris0nllyn

So in a round about way and depending on their tax code, Hidalgo County and the city of Deming will get a chunk of that money back in income taxes if the guy was a resident.

It's an IRS thing. Federal.

In most cases, punitive damages are considered taxable income, but settlements for compensatory damages are not.

The case will be reviewed based on the original claim's basis.

Hopefully, they will classify it as Punitive damages. Seeing how the IRS classifies Punitive damages as:

Generally, punitive damages are not awarded for simple breach of contract or negligent tort. They are added to any compensatory damages where the defendant acted recklessly, with malice or deceit, or in any other manner that would justify penalizing the wrongdoer or making an example to others.

Punitive damages are often awarded when the defendant acted
 Knowingly
 Willingly
 Deliberately
 Recklessly
 Fraudulently

Generally, punitive damages are taxable, but there are exceptions (See “Wrongful Death” discussed below.)

That being said, if he claimed lost wages, that will be taxed because it's considered Compensatory.

Damages intended to compensate the taxpayer for a loss, i.e., payment to compensate the injured party for the injury sustained, and nothing more. This loss may be purely economic, for example, arising out of a contract, or personal, for example, sustained by virtue of a physical injury.
Generally speaking, most people view the term "compensatory" to mean "nontaxable." However, the term “compensatory” merely means that the payment compensated the taxpayer for a loss. Thus, determinations of the taxability of lawsuit awards cannot always be made by simply referring to the terminology used, that is, compensatory or punitive; contractual or tort.
For example, not all torts constitute personal injuries. Some torts may involve invasion of property rights, conversion, interference with economic interests, tortious interference with contractual relations, purely personal interests, or defamation. Further, not all compensation payments for personal injuries are received on account of any personal physical injury or illness.
Moreover, damages arising from contractual claims can be taxable, such as those paid for lost wages and benefits, profits, and other forms of business receipts, or non-taxable. For example, X receives an insurance policy to replace one previously purchased that had lapsed due to an insurance agent‟s misappropriation of premiums paid.
The facts and circumstances of each lawsuit settlement must be considered to determine the purpose for which the money was received. Then, it can be determined whether these amounts are excludable. A key question is “In lieu of what were the damages awarded?”
Finally, if prior deductions under IRC § 213 or any other applicable Code section were taken (that is, medical deductions; interest expense, attorney fees, etc.) then pursuant to the Tax Benefit Rule, amounts received for reimbursement of these expenses would be taxable to the extent includible under IRC § 111.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-utl/lawsuitesawardssettlements.pdf

Hijinx

People get taxed....tax money goes to this guy....this guy pays taxes.

Police officer involved collects check...paid by taxpayers.

'Murica.

As long as he doesn't build a hidden compartment, he should be ok.

Diverticulitis LMAO.

onelove6366

And this is why the possibility that his rights weren't violated because we've allowed our rights to be taken away a little bit at a time is the scariest part of this. I am just becoming aware of this story for the first time and the more of this type of thing I read about, the more convinced I become that in my lifetime America will be a very different place that what it was when I was born in 1966. It's pretty scary really along with the crap in the news these last few weeks about the attempts to put precrime units in place with enforcement capabilities. Good grief.

Troubled traffic stops lead to anal probes, civil rights violations [w/videos] - Autoblog

autoblog has a good round of of the whole invasive search thing. And a bteer timeline for the one case. 15 hours from stop to release. Oh, and when he wanted to call someone, he was told "You haven't been arrested, you got no reason to call anyone."

Hijinx

And this is why the possibility that his rights weren't violated because we've allowed our rights to be taken away a little bit at a time is the scariest part of this. I am just becoming aware of this story for the first time and the more of this type of thing I read about, the more convinced I become that in my lifetime America will be a very different place that what it was when I was born in 1966. It's pretty scary really along with the crap in the news these last few weeks about the attempts to put precrime units in place with enforcement capabilities. Good grief.

In your lifetime? How about right now.

Right now they know where you are if you have a cell-phone, If you have an accident they can take the computer from your car like the black box in an airplane. They can track everywhere you go on your computer, they can tape you when they stop you. Already America is a different place, they can even force you to buy a product you may not want, and fine you if you don't. If you belong to a Conservative group they can sic the IRS on you. Need I go on?

onelove6366

I agree right now is bad but I think it's on the way to much worse. The pre-crime enforcement push is a big concern. I just don't know how it will end. Something big has to happen to stop this cycle. We are just so far gone into messed up - when you stop and think about it - it is highly disturbing. I just feel powerless against the force of this regime.

In your lifetime? How about right now.

Right now they know where you are if you have a cell-phone, If you have an accident they can take the computer from your car like the black box in an airplane. They can track everywhere you go on your computer, they can tape you when they stop you. Already America is a different place, they can even force you to buy a product you may not want, and fine you if you don't. If you belong to a Conservative group they can sic the IRS on you. Need I go on?

Hijinx

I agree right now is bad but I think it's on the way to much worse. The pre-crime enforcement push is a big concern. I just don't know how it will end. Something big has to happen to stop this cycle. We are just so far gone into messed up - when you stop and think about it - it is highly disturbing. I just feel powerless against the force of this regime.

With good reason. The people we elect will not listen.