Tragedy/bullying in Schools

black dog

Free America
Problem boys can get sent to Cheltenham, it's just behind the Veterans Cemetery on 301.
We had problems with our son being bullied in Elementary School by another boy, the problem was his single mom of three kids worked for the school system and there was not alot they would do about the constantly repeating problem.
I started taking my son to Steve Tolsons Karate, it took about a year or so and my son finely got tired of being pushed, shoved and triped in the hallways at school.
It was over in a few quick seconds.
Next was in early HS, same bull$hit different bully, my kid twisted him up in the cafeteria after weeks of being hassled.
Both times warranted a meeting with the school principal and that was about it.
The zero tolerance bull$hit doesn't always mean zero tolerance. Both times threats were made to expell my kid. We worked it out quickly when the school found out I had everything documented.
I highly recommend Steve Tolsons Okinawan Karate. 10 or 11 years now and still money well spent.

Like I said, Post # 4
Your reading skills are poor and need improvement. Did you all not have RIF in school as a kid... You know Reading is fundamental.
Thanks for playing Clem.

PeoplesElbow

You expel a middle schooler the law requires that they go to school..

Where do they go to school now.. at what expense??

Where I went to school the only kids who went to the Catholic school were the ones kicked out of the public school system. Their parents footed the bill, however it wasn't nearly as expensive as a private school is here.

PeoplesElbow

Usually the most effective way is to beat the hell out of the parent, tell them if it doesn't stop they will get another one. Most will take care of their kid after that.

Back when I was in elementary school it was still okay for schools to paddle as punishment. Nowadays it is considered assault for a teacher to grab a student by the arm.

The problem is that teachers AND the rest of the administration in each school no longer have authority to nip situations in the bud. Students know this and use it to their advantage.

Goldenhawk

Back in the day, if a kid was bullied and decided to fight back... parents would be called into the office and it would be discussed and handled. Now, police are involved, lawyers can get involved, and snowflakes are damaged.
I was getting seriously bullied in 4th grade (mid 70s) by a held-back kid twice my size. Happened for months. My dad told me I needed let him have it once and he'd let up. I wailed "are you trying to get me KILLED?" But he was serious, and I finally took his advice one day. Promptly got suspended for three days for breaking the no-fighting rule (where were the teachers for months?!), but I was never bothered again by any of the kids. Worth every second of those three days.

I do have to wonder how it would go down now. Probably about the same.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
But maybe I just grew up in a tougher area, and the sissified bullies you talk about that run away at the first sign of resistance are really the majority. I doubt it though.

You bring up a good point. My school had sissified bullies who picked on weaker kids because they could and wouldn't dare take on their equal. A good shot in the head usually settled them down. But hardcore bullies won't hesitate to #### you up, or even kill you.

Kwillia brought up a point that I was trying to avoid but there it is. The black kids are many times the tormentors, and nothing happens to them because RACISM!!! If the bullying allegations are true, the parents of this kid who killed himself need to get a good lawyer and press charges against the school for allowing this to happen. They bust back some kid who writes a violent short story in creative writing class, but then let some psychotic kid run rampant because he's black and they are "racially sensitive".

They need to knock that crap off and treat everyone equal, regardless of race, and the only way they'll do it is if parents put pressure on them and hit them where it hurts - the budget. They go on and on about "zero tolerance" but clearly they do not know what that means.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
You bring up a good point. My school had sissified bullies who picked on weaker kids because they could and wouldn't dare take on their equal. A good shot in the head usually settled them down. But hardcore bullies won't hesitate to #### you up, or even kill you.

Kwillia brought up a point that I was trying to avoid but there it is. The black kids are many times the tormentors, and nothing happens to them because RACISM!!! If the bullying allegations are true, the parents of this kid who killed himself need to get a good lawyer and press charges against the school for allowing this to happen. They bust back some kid who writes a violent short story in creative writing class, but then let some psychotic kid run rampant because he's black and they are "racially sensitive".

They need to knock that crap off and treat everyone equal, regardless of race, and the only way they'll do it is if parents put pressure on them and hit them where it hurts - the budget. They go on and on about "zero tolerance" but clearly they do not know what that means.
Nailed it. The fact that black kids run the gang activity at Spring Ridge is exactly why the sissies that run the county school system will not do anything. It's not rocket science.

mamaof1

I think another issue is the fact that parents run the word "Bullying" to the administration without even taking into consideration that it is THEIR child that is the bully.
The kids have figured this out as well.
If Bully Boy tells Mommy that Johnny hates me and picks on me BEFORE Johnny can tell his mother what Bully Boy is doing, then the Bully's mom gets to the administrator first, the table is set for the victim to have to prove who is picking on whom.

Sometimes is a matter of which side gets heard first. I like to think the administrators know what is really happening, but that may be hard to prove. (Especially if Johnny begs his mom NOT to go to the school).

BernieP

Resident PIA
I read thru this thread last night and was starting to comment when I was interrupted
I'm happy I was because I think I was going to do exactly what I'm going to say is wrong.

DON'T equate the bullying "back in the day" with what is considered bullying today.
I'm not in the school, at the bus stop or on the street, but I don't think that's where the majority of the problem lies.
You use to be able to almost identify the bully in school or on the block, it was typically a kid, a male, who had some "issues" in their personal life, family, home type issues.

Not saying that's gone away, but now you have social media and everybody has an opinion and feels they have a right to share that opinion with the world. Even if that opinion concerns what another child is wearing, how they look, smell, what they eat, ad naseaum

That child can be male or female, white or black, rich or poor. Once they start their circle of friends joins in. The victim is confronted with this 24/7 because it's not just in school, it's on the interwebz.

The bill of rights gives us the freedom to speak freely without government reprisal. What we have forgotten is the affect that speech can have on others. The irony in this is that some of the same people doing the bullying will be the first to complain about how offended, hurt and fearful they are when someone expresses an opinion they don't agree with - not one directed at them, but simply an idea they are against.

This goes back on the parents who have raised these pissant snowflakes, those who are both quick to judge, yet intolerant of an opposing view.

Restitution

That child can be male or female, white or black, rich or poor. Once they start their circle of friends joins in. The victim is confronted with this 24/7 because it's not just in school, it's on the interwebz.

I have heard this argument too. "BUT... the interwebz!" And I think it is truly garbage.

Back in the day, EVERYONE in the school knew who the bully was picking on. EVERYONE in the school had their opinions on people. They didn't need the internet for that! People actually TALKED TO EACH OTHER!

Do you honestly think that kids from other schools/counties are bussing into the area to bully kids? How exactly is the internet making it worse than it was years ago?

BernieP

Resident PIA
I have heard this argument too. "BUT... the interwebz!" And I think it is truly garbage.

Back in the day, EVERYONE in the school knew who the bully was picking on. EVERYONE in the school had their opinions on people. They didn't need the internet for that! People actually TALKED TO EACH OTHER!

Do you honestly think that kids from other schools/counties are bussing into the area to bully kids? How exactly is the internet making it worse than it was years ago?

you are truly clueless. The bullying is no longer limited to a physical confrontation, it's done over the internet - social media
How about you give us your real name, then we will make all sorts of derogatory comments about you on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Snap Chat.... That way when you show up to work you co-workers can give you a sideways look and snicker.

That's the most prevalent form of bullying today. I take a picture of you, a compromising picture, and then post it.
It could be making fun of your clothing, hair cut, size, shape. Then all my "friends" and their "friends" chime in, thinking it's just in fun.

That does not preclude the old fashion bully.

BTW, your nose is hideous, you should do something about that beak.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB

Here's the thing, and I'm not saying you'd do it, but you know as well as I do that if the schools would intervene in off hours bullying the same people who are now complaining about it not being done would raise the roof about "gub'mint interference in private bidness".

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Here's the thing, and I'm not saying you'd do it, but you know as well as I do that if the schools would intervene in off hours bullying the same people who are now complaining about it not being done would raise the roof about "gub'mint interference in private bidness".

I'm just talking about what happens in school or on school grounds. Of course there's nothing the school can do about what happens on the outside. But that is my understanding, that this kid was being tormented in school - or was that not the case?

Restitution

you are truly clueless. The bullying is no longer limited to a physical confrontation, it's done over the internet - social media
How about you give us your real name, then we will make all sorts of derogatory comments about you on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Snap Chat.... That way when you show up to work you co-workers can give you a sideways look and snicker.

That's the most prevalent form of bullying today. I take a picture of you, a compromising picture, and then post it.
It could be making fun of your clothing, hair cut, size, shape. Then all my "friends" and their "friends" chime in, thinking it's just in fun.

That does not preclude the old fashion bully.

BTW, your nose is hideous, you should do something about that beak.

And everything you said above differs from my point HOW EXACTLY???

Not at all! Bullies were bullies then.... they are now. People KNOW why you were being bullied then... just like they do now.

What these kids are reading on the internet is not anything they do not probably already know. So... how exactly is it intensifying the problem?

BTW... I am 100% sure YOU are far more removed from school-aged than I am. Try to act it huh.....

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
I'm just talking about what happens in school or on school grounds. Of course there's nothing the school can do about what happens on the outside. But that is my understanding, that this kid was being tormented in school - or was that not the case?

I have no clue since I don't care enough to keep up with Facebook gossip. But as Bernie mentioned, with social media it doesn't stop at the last bell any more.

Even in-school fights are now starting on Facebook/SnapChat/Face Time, etc. now in the majority of cases. #### starts on them last night and gets carried over to the next morning and you have a dozen kids, in many cases girls, rolling around on the floor beating the Hell out of each other.

lovinmaryland

I can't speak for Spring Ridge but when my son was going to school at Leonardtown Middle School he got suspended for "bullying" he told another student "he was black like a bear" When I had a chance to speak to my son when he got home that day I learned that the kid he referenced as being "black as a bear" had taunted him in the lunch room in front of all his friends and other students saying he was "a fagot who sucked d*ck" :eyebrow: so of course next day I'm on the phone w/ admin trying to figure out why the hell my son was suspended...apparently because my son is not in fact gay that type of taunting is not considered bullying...ummm ok! It ended up getting a lot worse. That same kid and his friends a week or so later went to a teacher and said that my son was dealing drugs so as per the rules they had to call my son in to the office search his bags and his person. They called me AFTER the fact...of course there were no drugs its just a tactic these #######s use now a days...but no my son was the bully cause he called some one black like a bear :rolleyes:

tipsymcgee

As stated, it's a fact that schools take way too much into consideration when handing out punishment/suspension. Kids with little to no parent involvement or chronic problem kids are given a longer leash than a kid who acts out less. My kids ride the bus and are the first ones on in the a.m. and the last to get off in the p.m. When I asked the school system and my county commissioner about this, the reason given is they need to get the problem kids from the bad neighborhood off the bus first, and pick them up last in the am. The poor bus driver is in her 70s and they can't find a replacement to take the route because of this bad neighborhood. My county commissioner stepped in and they changed the route very little for about 2 weeks, and this year it's back to the same route. Way too many "meetings" and a lot of talk and no action in the public school system.

black dog

Free America
I can't speak for Spring Ridge but when my son was going to school at Leonardtown Middle School he got suspended for "bullying" he told another student "he was black like a bear" When I had a chance to speak to my son when he got home that day I learned that the kid he referenced as being "black as a bear" had taunted him in the lunch room in front of all his friends and other students saying he was "a fagot who sucked d*ck" :eyebrow: so of course next day I'm on the phone w/ admin trying to figure out why the hell my son was suspended...apparently because my son is not in fact gay that type of taunting is not considered bullying...ummm ok! It ended up getting a lot worse. That same kid and his friends a week or so later went to a teacher and said that my son was dealing drugs so as per the rules they had to call my son in to the office search his bags and his person. They called me AFTER the fact...of course there were no drugs its just a tactic these #######s use now a days...but no my son was the bully cause he called some one black like a bear :rolleyes:

When my son was at Lettie Dent, a kid pulled his weiner out on the school bus, School Administration and a Sheriff's Dept Detective had a meeting with a the kids and then brought each kid separately in a office for their investigation.
I believe the next time the school will call all parents involved before a conversation with a kid when law enforcement is involved.