Tragedy/bullying in Schools

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
I was on a Safety & Security Committee for the Board of Education for last 20 years. In that 20 years, they did not increase discipline in schools. They decreased it. In fact, I was on a special subcommittee that was formed directly after a major incident at Great Mills High School when one student nearly killed another. I thought they were going to "increase" the methods to discipline out of control students to help the teachers. Instead, they decreased it. What shame.

Now be honest and tell everyone why penalties and discipline eased. I'll help you out: it didn't originate locally.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Now be honest and tell everyone why penalties and discipline eased. I'll help you out: it didn't originate locally.
Winner Winner, Chicken Dinner

The state does it with funding. You don't have to do what the state wants, but if you don't, they don't fund the schools until you comply.
I know in PA it was a straight formula, the local school district got money on a per pupil basis. Each school didn't have to hire a grants administator to beg the state for money.

glhs837

Power with Control
Winner Winner, Chicken Dinner

The state does it with funding. You don't have to do what the state wants, but if you don't, they don't fund the schools until you comply.
I know in PA it was a straight formula, the local school district got money on a per pupil basis. Each school didn't have to hire a grants administator to beg the state for money.

"And smaller bugs....." And the Feds do it to the State with funding.

3CATSAILOR

You are correct. The political formula that Annapolis came up with for disciplinary issues did in fact result in the Counties watering down overall disciplinary actions. A few years after Annapolis did this, I wrote a Bill which in fact made its way through both sides and was signed by the Governor. "The Bill was unchanged by either side". The Bill created a Blue Ribbon Panel on School Safety. This panel was empowered to make recommendations to the the Governor and the Senate as to what our schools need. One of those recommendations created the Bullying and Intimidation Act along with the annual report all Counties that any of us can access on line. I believe it is usually completed by 31 March. It may take them a month or two to post it on line after it is published. All of you should not forget that Senator Waugh took Senator Dyson's place on the State Education Committee. If you feel as though schools are not where you believe they should be, I recommend that you contact him. If he is not responsive to your requests as I hear some have suggested, simply vote him out during the next election. I have heard complaints that he may be too cozy with the School Boards and not responsive to the citizens of the County. I do not know whether it is true or not. Perhaps all of you in the cyber World can shed some light. I base complaints in the same box as opinions. Everyone seems to have one.

PeoplesElbow

You are correct. The political formula that Annapolis came up with for disciplinary issues did in fact result in the Counties watering down overall disciplinary actions. A few years after Annapolis did this, I wrote a Bill which in fact made its way through both sides and was signed by the Governor. "The Bill was unchanged by either side". The Bill created a Blue Ribbon Panel on School Safety. This panel was empowered to make recommendations to the the Governor and the Senate as to what our schools need. One of those recommendations created the Bullying and Intimidation Act along with the annual report all Counties that any of us can access on line. I believe it is usually completed by 31 March. It may take them a month or two to post it on line after it is published. All of you should not forget that Senator Waugh took Senator Dyson's place on the State Education Committee. If you feel as though schools are not where you believe they should be, I recommend that you contact him. If he is not responsive to your requests as I hear some have suggested, simply vote him out during the next election. I have heard complaints that he may be too cozy with the School Boards and not responsive to the citizens of the County. I do not know whether it is true or not. Perhaps all of you in the cyber World can shed some light. I base complaints in the same box as opinions. Everyone seems to have one.

Damn, a blue ribbon panel, how is this not fixed yet?