Wanting to make Tri-County Animal Shelter a "NO KILL" Shelter

somd.enigma

BuddyLee said:
Why don't you adopt them all?

Once again, proof that some people are ignorant(or bored and need a life) In either case - what did you want to accomplish with that comment? Please do tell....

BuddyLee

Football addict
somd.enigma said:
Once again, proof that some people are ignorant(or bored and need a life) In either case - what did you want to accomplish with that comment? Please do tell....
I thought the point was evident, guess not.

Tell me, where will all of these animals go if their numbers continue to increase whereas adoption rates tend to stay the same. If even adoption rates do increase, where is the guarantee that they will increase to the point of potentially solving the aforementioned problem?

Who will house the growing number of animals? Who will pay for the growing number of animals?

Last edited:
kwillia said:
I don't see how we can expect it to become a no-kill shelter as long as "YES" continues to be the answer to the questions above. :ohwell:
Dear Karma Giver, I take it you rather have them on the street, starving, full of parasites, injured and making more babies. Grow up.

BuddyLee

Football addict
kwillia said:
Dear Karma Giver, I take it you rather have them on the street, starving, full of parasites, injured and making more babies. Grow up.
I thought I was the only loved one.:kiss:

designerxboi

I agree

Valarocque said:
I agree with those of you that don't agree with all shelters being nonkill! What we need is better education about responsible animal ownership. People need to spay or neuter their pets and stop viewing puppies and kittens as disposable items that lose their charm when they stop being puppies and kittens. Getting the problem at it's source is a lot better than overcrowding shelters with pets that may or may not be adoptable.

I agree with better education and more responsible pet owners. There could be laws and fines for people who keep domestic animals that are not spayed or neutered. There could be special licenses for having un-fixed animals (say example for reputable breeders). Although I'm not sure if there are ethical or moral reasonings behind why there arent laws like this already, I'm not a pet owner. But if I were I would be willing to abide by rules like this.

somd.enigma

designerxboi said:
I agree with better education and more responsible pet owners. There could be laws and fines for people who keep domestic animals that are not spayed or neutered. There could be special licenses for having un-fixed animals (say example for reputable breeders). Although I'm not sure if there are ethical or moral reasonings behind why there arent laws like this already, I'm not a pet owner. But if I were I would be willing to abide by rules like this.

I just really don't understand why there has to be laws - that's what baffles my mind. You have a dog/cat - you KNOW there are too many dogs/cats already - get them fixed! If you can't afford to have them fixed, well that's probably a hint that you shouldn't have the animal to begin with.

If more people would put pressue on the people that are allowing their animals to breed and STOP BUYING DOGS FROM HOME BREEDERS & PET STORES - we wouldn't need more laws.

SoftballCrazy

somd.enigma said:
I just really don't understand why there has to be laws - that's what baffles my mind. You have a dog/cat - you KNOW there are too many dogs/cats already - get them fixed! If you can't afford to have them fixed, well that's probably a hint that you shouldn't have the animal to begin with.

If more people would put pressue on the people that are allowing their animals to breed and STOP BUYING DOGS FROM HOME BREEDERS & PET STORES - we wouldn't need more laws.
While thats true and people in rescue know it to be extremely true, others simply think about making a dollar off their dog. If you take a stroll around on some of these side streets in the park, you'll see plenty of unfixed animals, puppies/kittens/etc. Some want to breed their dog because its so nice, its so big, etc, or the neighbor wants one of their puppies. Others don't want to neuter their male dog, because its unmanly...Not everyone thinks the way you described in your post, unfortunately.

designerxboi

somd.enigma said:

Your Right; there shouldnt HAVE to be laws for alot of things, no just pet ownership. But alot of people dont seem to know right from wrong unless its written down 'officially', which is a shame.

Here's my question.
Why should animals be treated better than people?

I don't see any of you campaigning for laws against unfit people having kids, and yet it happens every day. If Shirley Bebemomma can have 16 kids with 16 different bebedaddy's and then stick society with the bill for their care, then why shouldn't Jane Petowner be allowed to do the same with her puggle? If you are going to force sterilization on animals, why not force it on people too?

somd.enigma

huntr1 said:
Here's my question.

I don't see any of you campaigning for laws against unfit people having kids, and yet it happens every day. If Shirley Bebemomma can have 16 kids with 16 different bebedaddy's and then stick society with the bill for their care, then why shouldn't Jane Petowner be allowed to do the same with her puggle? If you are going to force sterilization on animals, why not force it on people too?

OK - I'll buy that!

somd.enigma

huntr1 said:
Here's my question.

To be serious, we all have to pick our fights. If you feel that is an issue, then maybe that's your "fight". I for the most part, relate to animals better then 95% of the people I know, so I voice my opinion for animals that can't talk.

designerxboi

huntr1 said:
Here's my question.

Over population is bad everywhere, not just animals. But I think its far more of a problem with animals depending on the context you put it in. There are several...

Shirley Bebemomma might have 16 kids, but how many pregnancies did she have? When animals have babies, each pregnancy can yield ALOT of babies. Therefore Mrs's Buttons, the female alley cat, could have several pregnancies each pregnancy yielded 5 or more kittens. She could easily beat Shirley's number of children in just a few litters.

Another context is with the exception of uneducated people; most humans know better. MOST have sex education and know what causes babies. Cats and dogs do not have a sexual education so they dont know any better.

Then there's the people who should know better than to let this happen, but thats another issue where laws would be effective.

BuddyLee

Football addict
somd.enigma said:
so I voice my opinion for animals that can't talk.
So how do you intend to solve this problem in a people run world if you cannot relate to 95% of the people who reside in it?

SoftballCrazy

huntr1 said:
Here's my question.

Haha! It might be a shame it can't be. Some people are called to defend animals, some are called to defend people. There have been cases of sterilization for people when found to be guilty of serious neglect charges (or whatever type charges.)

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
Q: What happens to a no-kill shelter when it gets overcrowded? Besides the inherent neglect of the animals which is bound to happen in such conditions, what happens if there just isn't the physical room for the animals. I mean when you've got 5 dogs in a kennel designed for one and you just can't put one more in there?

A: The operators of the facility give the person dropping off the animal the address of the nearest "kill" shelter, then complain to all their friends how that "kill" shelter is evil. :shrug:

Animals4Life

huntr1 said:
Here's my question.

Maybe because we actually might post that campaign under people and not the pets forum. Maybe that is where you could exercise some of your time. And FYI......there are massive amounts of Jane petowners who do exactly that...who do you think pays for the shelter??? Our tax money funds the shelter.

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
Animals4Life said:
Maybe because we actually might post that campaign under people and not the pets forum. Maybe that is where you could exercise some of your time. And FYI......there are massive amounts of Jane petowners who do exactly that...who do you think pays for the shelter??? Our tax money funds the shelter.
Um, seems to me that this is the relatively small pets section of a rather large general interest forum. If you don't want reactions from the general public, maybe you should consider exercising your time in a more specific forum with like minded individuals. :shrug:

nomoney

Dymphna said:
Um, seems to me that this is the relatively small pets section of a rather large general interest forum. If you don't want reactions from the general public, maybe you should consider exercising your time in a more specific forum with like minded individuals. :shrug:

:yeahthat: EXCEPT this doesn't count in the religion forum.