Wanting to make Tri-County Animal Shelter a "NO KILL" Shelter

somd.enigma

Dymphna said:
Um, seems to me that this is the relatively small pets section of a rather large general interest forum. If you don't want reactions from the general public, maybe you should consider exercising your time in a more specific forum with like minded individuals. :shrug:

Didn't seem to me that she didn't want reactions from the general public, she was just clarifying that this is about animals, not people.

BrassieChic

I agree that "potential adopters" need to be educated but I also believe that these Shelters should be more education also! I think they need to evaluate these animals more carefully before just letting anyone adopt. Spend a few extra minutes with the animal to see if there are any aggression issues or other potential problems and/or health issues. I know they are under staffed, under paid and there are just so many of these dogs/cats coming in at an alarming rate but I honestly believe if the family/person knew more of the background of the animal they were interested in the success rate would be much higher. I have several examples to back this up too! :howdy:

mygoldnhorse

Cowgirl Up
Place the blame where it belongs......
I have 4 friends that are home breeders, and I find it hard to believe that these are the dogs that end up in shelters. Prices of these dogs are anywhere from $400 for a Jack Russell puppy up to $1200 for Yorkies and maybe even higher for the Rotties. From my experience if someone does purchase a "purebred" and a situation occurs and they decide they no longer can care for the dog they sell it, or at the very least, give it to someone.
I have seen alot of dogs that come from shelters but in my opinion at least 90% seem to be mixed breeds. Rarely do you find a purebreed dog at a shelter and if you do it will be the 1st to go, unless of course the breed has a reputation for being agressive. But we are seeing some shelters willing to give them a chance and adopt them out to families.
It would be good if animal breeders were required to be licensed, but we know that will never happen. And people with the backyard dogs that are tied to these short little chains do not really give a damn about their dog, now do they? These dogs are lucky to get off the chain to get some exercise, why would the owner be bothered to spay/neuter. And than along comes a vistor (dog someone let out to go potty) and bang there at it. :jameo: A whole litter of mixed breed puppies. These are the ones whose future will involve at least 1 trip to the local shelter. At least one good thing though is that if these dogs do end up in a shelter and do get adopted they will then be spayed/neutered.

Last edited:
STOP BUYING DOGS FROM HOME BREEDERS & PET STORES - we wouldn't need more laws.

mygoldnhorse said:
I have 4 friends that are home breeders, and I find it hard to believe that these are the dogs that end up in shelters.

I believe the point here is that folks should be adopting the dogs that are in rescues and shelters and not feeding the market of breeding dogs for cash.

somd.enigma

mygoldnhorse said:
Place the blame where it belongs......
I have 4 friends that are home breeders, and I find it hard to believe that these are the dogs that end up in shelters. Prices of these dogs are anywhere from $400 for a Jack Russell puppy up to $1200 for Yorkies and maybe even higher for the Rotties. From my experience if someone does purchase a "purebred" and a situation occurs and they decide they no longer can care for the dog they sell it, or at the very least, give it to someone.
I have seen alot of dogs that come from shelters but in my opinion at least 90% seem to be mixed breeds. Rarely do you find a purebreed dog at a shelter and if you do it will be the 1st to go, unless of course the breed has a reputation for being agressive.

Mixed breed dogs normally come from a "pretty purebreds" that had an unexpected pregancy. The market is full of purebred & mixed dogs. Alot of the time, if a purebred ends up at the shelter - they will notify a "specific breed adoption agency" and ask if they want them. That's why you don't see them at the animal shelter. And it's not just the dogs that are sold from homebreeders - it's all their puppies too. A breeder can't be held accountable for all the subsequent animals that are born, but that's exactly the point - there are way too many now.

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
mygoldnhorse said:
Rarely do you find a purebreed dog at a shelter and if you do it will be the 1st to go, unless of course the breed has a reputation for being agressive.
My dog is a purebreed and he came from a kill shelter. And is a breed known for mild temperment. He'd been there long enough that the only thing that kept him alive is that someone had put a note on his kennel that he was a purebreed and they needed to call a "rescue." There weren't any locally and no one had had the time to track one down, so he stayed until we came. No one cares if the dog is purebreed if he has no papers.

mygoldnhorse

Cowgirl Up
I have to tell you that I was not aware of the adoption "agencies" for certain breeds. I just knew that I have never saw a pure breed at a shelter. MYbad :flowers:

Last edited:

mygoldnhorse

Cowgirl Up
somd.enigma said:
Mixed breed dogs normally come from a "pretty purebreds" that had an unexpected pregancy. The market is full of purebred & mixed dogs. Alot of the time, if a purebred ends up at the shelter - they will notify a "specific breed adoption agency" and ask if they want them. That's why you don't see them at the animal shelter. And it's not just the dogs that are sold from homebreeders - it's all their puppies too. A breeder can't be held accountable for all the subsequent animals that are born, but that's exactly the point - there are way too many now.
I know what you mean by this point. There is a neighbor that has a un-neutered male docshand(sp) and he comes around all the time making his rounds from house to house looking for a dog to breed. I have no idea why this poor dog has not been neutured, he appears to be miserable.

Last edited:

tes218

mygoldnhorse said:
I have to tell you that I was not aware of the adoption "agencies" for certain breeds. I just knew that I have never saw a pure breed at a shelter. MYbad :flowers:
I know that Lucky Ones has "rescued" quite a few pure breeds (with papers) at the shelter who were on their last day. We recently had a 2 year old Boston Terrier, 3 black lab puppies (2 - 10 weeks old and 1 - 12 weeks old), and a Shih Tzu within the last couple of month.

mygoldnhorse

Cowgirl Up
That is very sad and I guess I am just nieve(sp) when it comes to people making committments to their animals. Know matter what the rest of the world throws my way I know that when our dog Molly sees me she will always brighten up my day. I feel sorry for all the dogs that do not have the joy of knowing someone loves them. I guess you guys have made me look at things from a different perspective. Thanks for helping me see things different. :huggy:

Last edited:

BrassieChic

I just got back from visiting the shelter.

There are many purebred dogs in there!
A few Rotties, a Pom, Beagles, a Dobie, Min Pin, Cocker Spaniel just to name a few. Of course there are alot of mixed breed dogs too! My Rattie is a pure bred that I adopted from there. Fortunately, there are agencies for pure breeds that will step in and save that dog!

Most are large dogs and large breed dogs! There were only 2 small ones and thankfully they've found homes!

BrassieChic

Christy said:
:offtopic: But I prefer mixed breed muts, I've never understood the desire to buy a pure breed. :shrug:

I get this too! My hubby prefers mixed breed muts. He believes they have better tempermants and less health issues. Either way, I go on a case to case scenerio. :howdy:

somd.enigma

Christy said:
:offtopic: But I prefer mixed breed muts, I've never understood the desire to buy a pure breed. :shrug:

Cuz it's "the thing to do". There is always an "in" breed that everyone wants because they've seen celebs with them and what movie is out. Right now I guess it's pugs and yorkies.

Mixed breeds usually make nicer pets and have alot less problems, but people are very superficial and want their "pretty purebreds"

Christy

b*tch rocket
BrassieChic said:
I get this too! My hubby prefers mixed breed muts. He believes they have better tempermants and less health issues. Either way, I go on a case to case scenerio. :howdy:

I agree with him. Don't get me wrong, I'd rescue a pure breed, hell, I'd rescue them all if I could. :ohwell:

somd.enigma said:
Cuz it's "the thing to do". There is always an "in" breed that everyone wants because they've seen celebs with them and what movie is out. Right now I guess it's pugs and yorkies.

Mixed breeds usually make nicer pets and have alot less problems, but people are very superficial and want their "pretty purebreds"
We were a foster home for dogs during my childhood and we only ever owned mutts. I married a man who is allergic to most animal fur. I wanted my children to be able to experience the joy and true responsibility of having a dog become part of the family so I had to find a breed that would work for us. I did months worth of research and chose to go with mini-schnauzers.

Animals4Life

mygoldnhorse said:

"Animal shelters are a great source for purebred pets," says Betsy McFarland of The Humane Society of the United States. "Not only do they have a wonderful selection of adult animals for adoption, but they also have kittens and puppies. In fact, 25% to 30% of the dogs in shelters are purebred."

The purebred facts
Before considering a purebred pet, it's important to understand what the term means. Purebreds conform to a specific "breed standard," offering the advantage of knowing what general physical and behavioral characteristics-- including size, appearance, and temperament -- that breed is likely to have.

However, purchasing a purebred is not a guarantee of good health and temperament. The only thing the "papers" from purebred dog and cat registry organizations certify is that there is information regarding the lineage and identity of the pet. Purebred papers are also not an assurance that your pet will be exactly like his breed profile.

Back in Novemebr I had gotten the stats for how many purebreeds there were at Tri-County in one month and although I cannot locate those right at the moment the numbers were shocking. I never would have guessed either that so many purebreeds were at the shelter. Actually the breed specific rescues are contacted when one is turned in but they are usually too full to take the dog so they stay in the shelter. When I was there last week I saw a German Shepeherd, a miniature pinscher, a yorkie, 2 Rotties, 3 beagles and a black lab and of course atleast 5 Amstaffs. All of theses dogs were purebreed and I also know of atleast 2 boxers pulled out in the last few months as well. Money spent or not some people just disregard them like they are nothing.

Christy

b*tch rocket
kwillia said:
I did months worth of research and chose to go with mini-schnauzers.

My parents have two yappy little mini-schnauzers, they are pure spoiled evil! :lmao: She's tried the dog whisperer techniques on them, but they're no dummies, they know who's the boss of their house. :jet: (them)