What do you think about Police checking for unlocked vehicles at your home?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I don't care if cops want to check to see if my car is locked, but the supposed "reasoning" behind it is stupid. The idea is to create an awareness campaign so that people lock their doors, which will go in one ear and right out the other. The reason they give a damn is because A) criminals break into cars and steal chit; and B) the stupid victim who didn't lock their door wastes valuable cop time by making a report that they have to investigate.

Sheriffs etc are in a tough position. On one hand, we want them to reduce crime; on the other hand, we don't want the courts to punish criminals and keep them off the street; and we certainly don't want them bothering us with their silly investigations and questions. So they come up with dumb crap like this to look effective, when in fact their hands are tied by not only the judicial system, but the citizens as well.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
..... when in fact their hands are tied by not only the judicial system, but the citizens as well.

if you are on my property you are trespassing and wrong ... [exceptions made for day light hours and neighbors]
I catch you in my vehicle you are wrong x2 and should forfeit your life for being stupid

.... the only thing I need is to call the coroner to pick up the corpse

black dog

Free America
I don't care if cops want to check to see if my car is locked, but the supposed "reasoning" behind it is stupid. The idea is to create an awareness campaign so that people lock their doors, which will go in one ear and right out the other. The reason they give a damn is because A) criminals break into cars and steal chit; and B) the stupid victim who didn't lock their door wastes valuable cop time by making a report that they have to investigate.

Sheriffs etc are in a tough position. On one hand, we want them to reduce crime; on the other hand, we don't want the courts to punish criminals and keep them off the street; and we certainly don't want them bothering us with their silly investigations and questions. So they come up with dumb crap like this to look effective, when in fact their hands are tied by not only the judicial system, but the citizens as well.

So how far are you willing to let law enforcement go?
Would it be ok for them to walk your​ propertys unannounced without warrant or permission and check all windows and doors to see if they are secure?
Would you be comfortable watching TV in your family room and two officers dressed in black fatigues grabbed the sliding glass door and tried to open it while peering with a flashlight into your family room...

Hijinx

Would it be ok for them to walk your​ propertys unannounced without warrant or permission and check all windows and doors to see if they are secure?
Would you be comfortable watching TV in your family room and two officers dressed in black fatigues grabbed the sliding glass door and tried to open it while peering with a flashlight into your family room...

What is funny is that people Bitch about cops opening their doors and the tax people come on your property and check it out so they can raise your taxes.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

It will be happening via goggle maps and drone flights before too long. Gotta assess you on that 10x12 shed you put in your backyard.

Already happening ... If you live in Calvert, here is the critical area property map. Go ahead and play around with it. I think you will be surprised at how detailed your property might be, the items on the property anyway. That fence you put in? Will show up. Even if didn't tell anyone.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

I am pretty sure that cops wouldn't do that just because the potential for disaster is so high.

But if there were a criminal loose in my 'hood and the cops came knocking and asked if they could look around my home and property to make sure I'm not being held hostage or have him hiding under the bed, I'd say sure.

Besides, hysterical peeps, the cops didn't enter anyone's vehicle - they just tried the door to see if it was locked. And now that I think about it, I would be happy to have them try to break in so I could see what my weak points were and fix it. If you have never had anyone break into your home in the middle of the night while you were fast asleep, you will not understand how terrifying that is and how security conscious it makes you afterward.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Sheriff's are only supposed to be reactive in the sense they go after the bad guys after the act. Even in St. Mary's County, the Sheriff understands this, "The Constitution of the United States guarantees every citizen certain safeguards from governmental intrusion into their lives. These safeguards have become the cornerstone for the application of criminal justice in America."
Preventing "crime" by committing a "crime" is not the way to go about it.

A few years back I had a knock on the door. It was a LEO. We had a string of burglaries in the area. They saw my bathroom window facing the road was open, and strongly suggested I close and lock it.

THAT I'm ok with. Just walking onto my property and testing things, I'm not.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Sheriff's are only supposed to be reactive in the sense they go after the bad guys after the act. Even in St. Mary's County, the Sheriff understands this, "The Constitution of the United States guarantees every citizen certain safeguards from governmental intrusion into their lives. These safeguards have become the cornerstone for the application of criminal justice in America."
Preventing "crime" by committing a "crime" is not the way to go about it.

I'm okay with proactive. Going after the bad guys *after* they've committed a crime against you doesn't seem as terrific as trying to prevent them from committing the crime in the first place. If you have ever been a crime victim, you might see it that way as well.

I'm also not sure it's a "crime" to simply try a car door to see if it's unlocked.

black dog

Free America
I am pretty sure that cops wouldn't do that just because the potential for disaster is so high.

But if there were a criminal loose in my 'hood and the cops came knocking and asked if they could look around my home and property to make sure I'm not being held hostage or have him hiding under the bed, I'd say sure.

Besides, hysterical peeps, the cops didn't enter anyone's vehicle - they just tried the door to see if it was locked. And now that I think about it, I would be happy to have them try to break in so I could see what my weak points were and fix it. If you have never had anyone break into your home in the middle of the night while you were fast asleep, you will not understand how terrifying that is and how security conscious it makes you afterward.

Knocking on your door and asking permission along with you calling for a home security inspection is completely different than what they were doing..

So how do you check if a car door is unlocked without pulling the door handle and opening the door.
Perhaps by using a flashlight and doing a visual inspection of the interior and contents of your auto??

And back to that question again, are you good with LE grabbing the door handle of your motorhome and seeing if it's locked when you are sleeping?

Oh and having a badge doesn't give them extra rights..

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
And back to that question again, are you good with LE grabbing the door handle of your motorhome and seeing if it's locked when you are sleeping?

Oh, honey - ABSOLUTELY. Of course, the dog would bark his ass off and scare the chit out of us, but I wish with all my heart some nice cop had come around to tell me where my weak points were *before* I had a home invasion.

BOP

I want the courts to cut the ####ing criminal's hands off so they can't steal anymore, and other criminals aren't as inclined to steal, but that's just me.

black dog

Free America
I'm also not sure it's a "crime" to simply try a car door to see if it's unlocked.

How about the next time you're in town head over to Calvert's Sheriff's Dept or Leonardtowns State Police barracks in the evening after dark and see if all the cruisers in the parking lot are locked up.
And see how well it works out for you..

Restitution

Quick question.....

Where exactly did it say that any of these vehicles were located on private property?

Couldn't these cars have been parked in the street, parkway, etc?

If the police did go onto private property then they deserve everything they got however, I read nothing in the story to indicate that the vehicles were on private property. Did anyone else see that?? Or was it just ASSumed?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Where exactly did it say that any of these vehicles were located on private property?
Couldn't these cars have been parked in the street, parkway, etc?

...... 61 unlocked vehicles in a single neighborhood ......

ok so if the vehicle is park in front of the house on a 'public street' its ok for the police to open the car up without a search warrant :shrug:

doesn't matter if its parked in front of Wal-Mart .... AFAIK police do not have legal grounds for opening the door 'to see if the car is locked'