what song are you listening to?

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Just love this young lady...

[video=youtube;aHjpOzsQ9YI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHjpOzsQ9YI[/video]

BOP

Me three, Jazz! Apparently over a half a billion of our friends agree. That's how many views she has on all her videos.

This actually one of my more favorite LS videos. "Phantom of the Opera"

Last edited:

BOP

You should probably go ahead and crank this up really frickin' loud. Just sayin'.

Gary Hoey "Pipeline."

Shutout

What song are they doing?

I couldn't find anything with them performing together, but I did find this. It's a cellphone video, so sound is not quite there, but still rockin' it.

Lazy Lester & the Elvin Bishop Band, "Bye Bye Baby."

Not together. My apologies. I was reading this and Elvin Bishop playlist ended and JB Hutto started. Just listened to Chrissy Hynde's cover of Creep by Radio Head. Great cover.

BOP

I just discovered Mediaeval Baebes within the last few minutes. Pretty awesome stuff.

Found some information online. Apparently they've been around since the '90s. Cannot fathom why they never get any airplay or that they seem to be so unknown.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mediæval_Bæbes

The Mediæval Bæbes are a British ensemble of female musicians founded in the 1990s by Dorothy Carter and Katharine Blake.[1] It included some of Blake's colleagues from the band Miranda Sex Garden, as well as other friends who share her love of medieval music. The lineup often rotates from album to album, and ranges from six to twelve members. As of 2010, the group sold some 500,000 records worldwide,[2] their most successful being Worldes Blysse with 250,000 copies purchased.[3]

Each album features traditional medieval songs and poetry set to music, mostly arranged by Blake specifically for the ensemble, alongside varying numbers of original compositions. They sing in a variety of languages, including Latin, Middle English, French, Italian, Russian, Swedish, Cadenet,[clarification needed]( “Cadenet” may be a reference to Provençal, a variety of Occitan spoken in Provence. The region produced the medieval troubadour, Cadenet, (c. 1160–1235), and also includes a small town of the same name.) Scottish English, German, Manx Gaelic, Spanish, Welsh, Bavarian, Provençal, Irish, modern English and Cornish. Their vocals are backed by medieval instruments, including the recorder and cittern, played by the singers or fellow musicians.

Last edited:

BOP

Been a Dobie Gray fan since...I don't know when. I do remember when the Dixie Chicks did a cover of this...you'd a thought they wrote the song.

BOP

Not together. My apologies. I was reading this and Elvin Bishop playlist ended and JB Hutto started. Just listened to Chrissy Hynde's cover of Creep by Radio Head. Great cover.

Yeah, that's the funny thing is that so many of the people we heard on the radio actually did such great work, but we never heard it, for the most part. Not during prime time, anyway. I'll have to give a listen, though I think I've heard the Pretenders' version of Creep before.

:buddies:

I chose this version mainly because I dig the hat! She could leave her hat on (bonus points for the reference), is all I'm saying! :hot:

:blushing:

Last edited:

BOP

First version I ever heard of this song, Joe South, "Games People Play," back when I was in high school.

Shutout

Yeah, that's the funny thing is that so many of the people we heard on the radio actually did such great work, but we never heard it, for the most part. Not during prime time, anyway. I'll have to give a listen, though I think I've heard the Pretenders' version of Creep before.

:buddies:

I chose this version mainly because I dig the hat! She could leave her hat on (bonus points for the reference), is all I'm saying! :hot:

:blushing:

Yes, bonus points for that reference.

BOP

Speaking of Joe Cocker, this is from the classic "Mad Dogs and Englishmen" album, which was recorded live at the Filmore East in NYC back in 1970. Remember Delaney and Bonnie? The tour of, I think, the same name, was put together using members Cocker had associated with from the Delaney and Bonnie and Friends gigs from around the same period, including Bonnie herself.

Tulsa boy Leon Russell on piano.

Speaking of Leon Russell, other than his "Ballad of Mad Dogs and Englishmen," the studio version of which is included on the later release of the Joe Cocker album, as far as I can tell, that is the only reference to what appears to be Noel Coward's song from 1930-something, "Mad Dogs and Englishmen." I haven't found any other references to the phrase "Mad Dogs and Englishmen."

I remember hearing the Noel Coward song as a kid, though it seems to be a novelty song among a certain college "in" crowd. By "in" crowd, I mean generally older folks like my father, many times veterans who had been in WWII, and who were taking advantage of their GI Bills to go to college. They weren't exactly with-it the way the students just out of high school were, but there were enough of them that they had their own culture; much of it borrowed from folk, jazz, the beatniks, and so on.

BOP

I haven't listened to T. Rex in a long time. Founder, lead singer, songwriter, and guitarist Marc Bolan was killed in 1977 after about a decade of success. The group was fairly prolific, with a respectable number of hits, albums and compilations. Something like 13 albums and 22 compilations.

Their 2 biggest hits were "Get it On," and "Jeepster," both of which appear on this album, Electric Warrior (1971, full album).

mitzi

Speaking of Joe Cocker, this is from the classic "Mad Dogs and Englishmen" album, which was recorded live at the Filmore East in NYC back in 1970. Remember Delaney and Bonnie? The tour of, I think, the same name, was put together using members Cocker had associated with from the Delaney and Bonnie and Friends gigs from around the same period, including Bonnie herself.

Tulsa boy Leon Russell on piano.

Speaking of Leon Russell, other than his "Ballad of Mad Dogs and Englishmen," the studio version of which is included on the later release of the Joe Cocker album, as far as I can tell, that is the only reference to what appears to be Noel Coward's song from 1930-something, "Mad Dogs and Englishmen." I haven't found any other references to the phrase "Mad Dogs and Englishmen."

I remember hearing the Noel Coward song as a kid, though it seems to be a novelty song among a certain college "in" crowd. By "in" crowd, I mean generally older folks like my father, many times veterans who had been in WWII, and who were taking advantage of their GI Bills to go to college. They weren't exactly with-it the way the students just out of high school were, but there were enough of them that they had their own culture; much of it borrowed from folk, jazz, the beatniks, and so on.

Is that the guy Bobby (sax) that just died last week? Looks like him.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Turn it the #### up. :larry:

[video=youtube;r1Hea_bRRZ0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1Hea_bRRZ0[/video]

Last edited:

RPMDAD

Some nice acoustic Acoustic Alchemy

[video=youtube;yHTdcYzZ5kw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHTdcYzZ5kw[/video]

BOP

This is It's A Beautiful Day singing "White Bird," from 1969. Lots of people thought this was some kind of Jefferson Airplane song, but nope, it's not.

BOP

Some people call this kind of music "Americana." To me, it's a fusion of folk ballad, with Scots-Irish, Appalacian, new age coffee shop soul. Or something.

Bonnie Bishop "Every Time You Come Around."