What's wrong with kids these days????

Geek

oldman said:
In my last marriage I had a stepson, 9 or 10 years old, pick up my little dog by the back legs. So I picked him up by his ankles and maybe bounced his head off the floor once - I didn't bash his brains out - to show him what he did was wrong. Mom called it in and I had to talk to Child Services the next day. The bottom line is that the boy never mistreated the dog again and I learned that disciplining our son was not my job. A few years later he said eff you to me and I threatened to put his head through the post if he ever said that to me again. He never did. He now has a kid and him and his woman -not married- are living with his Mom. Obviously I am no longer married.

When I tell my kids to stop doing something, they stop. I have never had to spank them. I have really great kids though :yay:

citysherry

I Need a Beer
closetrebel said:
it was on several news broadcasts last week. there are some legislators who want to make it illegal to spank your child. here is a New York Times article about the proposed spanking ban:

A Proposal to Ban Spanking Sparks Debate

Its one legislator in California :jameo: that wants to ban the spanking of children 3 years old and younger. IMO, if you, as a parent, have to resort to spanking your newborn to 3 year old toddler - then you should just surrender the baby to Social Services now.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
citysherry said:
Its one legislator in California :jameo: that wants to ban the spanking of children 3 years old and younger. IMO, if you, as a parent, have to resort to spanking your newborn to 3 year old toddler - then you should just surrender the baby to Social Services now.
I just posted that I think toddlers are too young to be punished like that.

That said, we already have child abuse laws and I'm not real big on having the government tell me what I can and cannot do to discipline my child.

Geek

What's wrong with kids ... 02-02-2007 01:29 PM you should be spanked for lying

:lmao: Promise? :wench:

Geek

Tinkerbell said:
My daughter came home from school a couple days ago and told me a lovely story. Apparently, on one of the school busses for her school, the bus driver ended up calling 911 because a boy on the bus told her that if she kept driving, he would slit her throat! :yikes: The police had the bus pull over and all the kids were taken off and I guess the boy was taken with them. She really didn't give me the rest of the story. (She does that to me all the time :lmao: ). This was for Leonardtown Middle. Anyone else hear about this?

And Tinkerbell...Look at the sceen name I had to take because you already had the one I wanted :bawl:

citysherry

I Need a Beer
vraiblonde said:
I just posted that I think toddlers are too young to be punished like that.

That said, we already have child abuse laws and I'm not real big on having the government tell me what I can and cannot do to discipline my child.

I agree! The child abuse laws currently in place are sufficient. What is being proposed in California could easily become a slippery-slop of government control over families. First no parent is allowed to spank their child; then there will be a law that no parent will be allowed to smoke; drink alcohol; eat fattening foods; etc.

Cowgirl

Geek said:
When I tell my kids to stop doing something, they stop. I have never had to spank them. I have really great kids though :yay:

I got spanked *maybe* 5 times when I was younger...same with my sister. My bro didn't get spanked at all. We were great kids. There are other ways to discipline your children. If your child respects you, then you shouldn't have to 'beat' them.

baileydog

I wanna be a SMIB
Cowgirl said:
I got spanked *maybe* 5 times when I was younger...same with my sister. My bro didn't get spanked at all. We were great kids. There are other ways to discipline your children. If your child respects you, then you shouldn't have to 'beat' them.

And if they dont respect you, beat it into them. :lmao: :wench:

Cowgirl

baileydog said:
And if they dont respect you, beat it into them. :lmao: :wench:

:smack: :lmao: :lmao:

BF's boy said the "S" word yesterday at daycare...he's almost 4. BF asked him where he'd heard the word, and boy said, "You, Dad." It was sooo hard not to laugh!!!! We had to have the "that's an adult word and kids are NOT allowed to say it...ever" talk.

Last edited:

baileydog

I wanna be a SMIB
Cowgirl said:
:smack: :lmao: :lmao: BF's boy said the "S" word yesterday at daycare...he's almost 4. BF asked him where he'd heard the word, and boy said, "You, Dad." It was sooo hard not to laugh!!!! We had to have the "that's an adult word and kids are NOT allowed to say it...ever!"

Thats cute. It is so hard not to laugh but these days parents think it funny TO LAUGH! NOT. At least you sound of the belief that there are things in life that adults get to do that children do not get to do. Contrary to popular belief, children are not equal to adults. Come on parents, give your children someting to look forward to in life. If they can do what ever now, whats left for later. I couldnt wait to grow up so I could do all those things grown ups get to do that kids didnt. There was an age for everything in life and I couldnt wait to get there. Dating at 16, makeup same, ect.

Cowgirl

baileydog said:
Thats cute. It is so hard not to laugh but these days parents think it funny TO LAUGH! NOT. At least you sound of the belief that there are things in life that adults get to do that children do not get to do. Contrary to popular belief, children are not equal to adults. Come on parents, give your children someting to look forward to in life. If they can do what ever now, whats left for later. I couldnt wait to grow up so I could do all those things grown ups get to do that kids didnt. There was an age for everything in life and I couldnt wait to get there. Dating at 16, makeup same, ect.

Definitely! I can't stand it when I see parents that want to be their kids' friends. They already have friends, they need parents. Sometimes I'll watch Supernanny or Nanny 911 and I'm amazed at the parents who are afraid to discipline their kids. These are the people that allow their 3 yr old to run the house. Unbelievable!

citysherry

I Need a Beer
Cowgirl said:
:smack: :lmao: :lmao: BF's boy said the "S" word yesterday at daycare...he's almost 4. BF asked him where he'd heard the word, and boy said, "You, Dad." It was sooo hard not to laugh!!!! We had to have the "that's an adult word and kids are NOT allowed to say it...ever" talk.

Basically, your BF told his son “do as I say, not as I do.” Suggest to your BF that he tell his son that the "S" word is considered a curse-word which are bad words and offensive to most people and shouldn’t be used by an adult or a child.

baileydog

I wanna be a SMIB
citysherry said:
Basically, your BF told his son “do as I say, not as I do.” Suggest to your BF that he tell his son that the "S" word is considered a curse-word which are bad words and offensive to most people and shouldn’t be used by an adult or a child.

I do get to do many thing that kids dont. I get to smoke, drink, cuss, stay out all night, have sex, do drugs, drive a car, ect. Right or wrong, kids dont get to. Yes, do as I say not as I do. And youll love this one too, sometimes in some circumstances, children should be seen and not heard. So there. :razz: I bet you children love walking all over you.

Cowgirl

citysherry said:

Yes, it's "do as I say, not as I do." You can't prevent a child from ever hearing curse words, so we feel we should teach them that those are grown-up words, and when he's a grown-up he can say them.

alex

My son knows better than to mouth off to his elders. However, at 17 he sometimes forgets we are his parents. I remind him I am not one of his friends and he better not talk to me like that again. It usually works.

I remember one time, when he was younger, he threatened to call the cops on his Dad. Dad told him, "Wait. Let me make it worth their while to come out". The kid never even picked up the phone after that and never used that line again when he was in trouble.

I totally agree about the friends bit and some parents. When my son was about 7 he asked if I was his friend. I told him I was his mother first and then his friend. I don't know if he even understands that answer now. But I am sure when he has his own kids he will.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
citysherry said:
Four year olds can't use the stove either, so should we all stop doing that? :shrug:

citysherry

I Need a Beer
Cowgirl said:
Yes, it's "do as I say, not as I do." You can't prevent a child from ever hearing curse words, so we feel we should teach them that those are grown-up words, and when he's a grown-up he can say them.

Right, you can't prevent a child from seeing or hearing things that are inappropriate for them, however, we can lead by example. Personally I don’t want my children thinking that cursing is normal and acceptable - I explained to my girls that there are some words that no one should say because they can make other people feel bad, but everyone messes up now and then (their dad). I suggested that we help daddy choose better words to say.

Geek

baileydog said:
I do get to do many thing that kids dont. I get to smoke, drink, cuss, stay out all night, have sex, do drugs, drive a car, ect. Right or wrong, kids dont get to. Yes, do as I say not as I do. And youll love this one too, sometimes in some circumstances, children should be seen and not heard. So there. :razz: I bet you children love walking all over you.

Lord, you sound like a hard woman. Do you chew on bricks for fun :confused: