Where did Evil come from?

DangerMouse

penncam,

You're right that lots of churches are probably looking at this. It was just the timing that seemed to match. And in fact, I also go to St. Paul's in Lusby, so it seems it was from my class.

Someone asked what does it matter where evil came from - it doesn't matter to them. Yah, there's bunches of people who would agree with you. My reason for starting into the issue itself (and all of apologetics) is simply that it mattered to me.

For a long time, I thought Christians were idiots. I was an atheist and loved to ask them tough questions. All I'd get was "Trust God" and "Have Faith," which did nothing for me. Why would I trust Someone whom I thought didn't exist? It wasn't 'til I encountered a Christian who could answer the tough questions that I became one myself.

Since there's others out there like me (scary thought, even to me!), I try to be able to answer them (1 Pet 3:15, if anyone's interested). If it doesn't matter to someone, then I won't bother talking about it to them.

migtig, that's definitely a messy one. I'm of course convinced that the God I worship is the only real one; a Muslim would be equally convinced that Allah is the only real one. Everyone certainly needs to decide for themselves - even humanists have to decide that man (or nothing) is God. Given the mutually contradictory views, either EVERYONE is wrong, or one is right. Choose wisely, Grasshopper. :biggrin:

Makavide

Not too talkative
Re: Re: Where does evil come from?

Originally posted by penncam
:

I believe that was the begining of Islam right there, and Allah is worshipped in place of God. Don't jump on me too hard just yet, because I know that is an oversimplification of how Islam began or started. I'll be honest, I haven't studied Islamic faith that much,
because I believe there is only one God that I will worship. Oh yeah, we've had classes in our church, discussing the contrasts between the two religions, and I will stay with Christianity.

My understanding of the three major religions - Judaism, Christianity and Islam - says we are all worshiping the same God/Allah.

Judaism feel the mesiah is still to come.
Christians believe that Jesus Christ was the mesiah.
Muslims believe that Jesus Christ was a prophet and that Mohamed was also a prophet.

All three religions follow the first five books of the Bible/Torah/Qur'an. It is just that the newer religions (Christianity and Islam) have added more to it then the previous.

Mak

DangerMouse

Good morning, all,

I just wanted to let y'all know that I'm stepping out of the forum. The conversation is very interesting, and a part of me wants to keep taking part (I truly love a good, cordial debate/discussion and this certainly is one!), but another part feels very uncomfortable, like I overheard a conversation at another table in a restaurant and ran over and jumped in.

Most all of you seem to "know" each other and have a history here. I'm just a stranger who jumped in during moment of excitement, simply because the class I'm teaching was a part of getting this started.

Thanks much, and sorry for the interruption,

DM

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Danger - please feel free to stay - that is how all of us came on board and became regular posters, by just jumping in.

bknarw

Attire Monitor
Originally posted by DangerMouse
Good morning, all,

I just wanted to let y'all know that I'm stepping out of the forum. The conversation is very interesting, and a part of me wants to keep taking part (I truly love a good, cordial debate/discussion and this certainly is one!), but another part feels very uncomfortable, like I overheard a conversation at another table in a restaurant and ran over and jumped in.

Most all of you seem to "know" each other and have a history here. I'm just a stranger who jumped in during moment of excitement, simply because the class I'm teaching was a part of getting this started.

Thanks much, and sorry for the interruption,

DM

We all started as "strangers".
I began by having a conversation with myself because I felt it was very cliquish here. The truth is, you'll never meet a better buncha folks. We have our disagreements, but this board consists entirely of good people. Don't deny yourself the opportunity to meet and talk to them!

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
I ran across this today. I didn't read it, though I thought it may interest some of you.

Link

K

Kain99

Scripture teaches that evil came into God's creation through the free moral choices made by the first human beings, in response to the temptation of Satan, a fallen spirit. Like a plague, this evil spreads through all of history because of the free moral choices that humans continue to make.

Great article by the prison ministry! I guess the bottom line is..... If humans weren't so crummy by nature, Satan would have no power. This does however raise questions about natural disaster etc. :biggrin:

J

justhangn

Originally posted by Kain99
Scripture teaches that evil came into God's creation through the free moral choices made by the first human beings :biggrin:

There in lies the problem, humans have very disturbed morals in general.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Very true.....

Originally posted by justhangn
There in lies the problem, humans have very disturbed morals in general.
:smile: We've now had several people come on and give the opinion that the fault of where and how evil and sin came into the world rests with man exercising his free will. Sharon just posted an excellent link that further discusses this .

Ok, where does that lead us?

I think it's very important to remember a thread brought up last week or so, concerning the "Seven Deadlies". That person was, of course, refering to the seven deadly sins we as humans are subject to, and how we face them. We run into problems when our pride comes in to play, when we covet what somebody else has, when envy and greed are behind our decisions, etc.

Is it intrinsic by nature that humans are morally bankrupt? I don't think I can make that a blanket assumption. There are plenty of good moral folks among us, the kind we look up to and admire.

The point is this: We all make choices for better or for the worst;
so what guides us? God gave us the freedom to choose, and we can choose wisely if we follow His teachings, remember his Two great Commandments: "Love thy God with all your heart and soul and mind; and love your neighbor as you would love yourself".

Is it possible that if we tried to adhere to those two thoughts, we might have an easier time of it? Is it worth a try? JMHO
penn

Last edited:
K

Kain99

Re: Very true.....

Originally posted by penncam
Remember his Two great Commandments: "Love thy God with all your heart and soul and mind; and love your neighbor as you would love yourself".
penn

When you break it down like that, it's really simple. I think the biggest problem with human beings is that many simply do not love themselves. I think the philosophy is completely foreign. Hence the difficulty loving others...

Just my 2 cents

K

Kain99

Originally posted by cariblue
I've noticed, over many years of observation, that those who preach the loudest, exhibit the least.

This should be added to the world's best quote's list. :smile:

The above statement was not geared toward anyone posting on somd.com

Last edited by a moderator:

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Re: Re: Very true.....

Originally posted by SmallTown
Hey, I don't have enough vasaline to take care of myself AND a neighbor :eek: :biggrin:
:biggrin: ST, you're right on cue! LOL, LOL!!

Did you happen to read my post about the over-abundance of coyotes in VA? Whaddya think? The report said nearly 20,000 are loose in the state!

:smile: penn

P

Pettifogger

hello all. I am a new user that seldom has much to say however, I would offer my thoughts on the subject of the question" If God is all powerful, why does he allow evil to exist?" I like the explanation that the old Mithras religion (which Christianity has borrowed much from, like the December 25 celebration) If I remember correctly Mithrasism beleives that God and the Devil are equally powerful and are engaged in a never ending battle for the world and sometimes good wins and sometimes evil wins. I can accept this much better than having someone attempt to tell me there is a reason for all the suffering in the world which would needlessly exist if God really had the power to stop it. Thanks for allowing me to put my two cents in.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Re: Re: Very true.....

Originally posted by SmallTown
Hey, I don't have enough vasaline to take care of myself AND a neighbor :eek: :biggrin:
:roflmao:
I just want you to know that you made me snort sprite through my nasal passages, hack up a lung, my eyes watered and me to laugh soo hard that my co-workers now have confirmed I am insane.

bknarw

Attire Monitor
Originally posted by pixiegirl
What came first the chicken or the egg? That's what I want to know! :confused: :bubble:

The egg.
Don't ask how. I just know.
And that reminds me, don't expect a laugh every time you crack a yolk!