Where did Evil come from?

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
I find it hard to judge a person evil just because they sin....

Originally posted by vraiblonde
Then what is "sin"? If blasphemy is a sin, does that mean the person who does it is evil? How about homosexuality? Is that a sin and gay people are evil? Since we're ALL sinners, does that mean we're ALL evil?

In Leviticus 18: vs 22, it says "Thalt shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination."

That's pretty explicit: don't lie down with a man as you would with a woman.

And in case you were wondering; Verse 23 says "Neither shalt thou lie with any beasts to defile thyself therewith: neither shall any woman stand before a beast to lie down thereto: it is confusion."

Ladies an gents shouldn't be messing around with beasts. In modern times though, that depends what the meaning of the word "beast" is!

Just because you sin, that doe not necessarily make you evil, is what I've read.

:smile: penn

Last edited:

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Nope

Then what is "sin"? If blasphemy is a sin, does that mean the person who does it is evil? How about homosexuality? Is that a sin and gay people are evil? Since we're ALL sinners, does that mean we're ALL evil?
:cool: Another way to put it is this, I think:

SIN is a symptom, an act of evil. Does that make you a sinner? YES.

Can someone say to you, because you have sinned: You are Evil? NO.

I don't think that is our call, vrai. When we "get to the Pearly Gates", that is when we will be judged as either good or evil.

I think it's Gods' call.

penn

K

Kain99

Maybe I over simplify everything, but here's my understanding of evil....

Satan was God's favorite angel...The angel of music and light.... Over time the angel began to feel that he was better in all areas than God.....

God said nope sorry, your outta here and thus the creation of Hell. The begining of Evil....

God's always been big on free choice... He's not interested in a bunch of robotic drones loving him without choice. So he allows evil. Gives everyone a choice.

Nay sayers and Atheists use these arguments to confuse the faithful.

They are in effect waging Satans war. I have always been taught to hold fast the truth that God has spoken and to fight these battles with love and grace.

No personal offense intended... I'm as guilty as the rest of ya. :wink:

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Did God ever use Evil for good?

After kicking around the idea that God created Evil, I began to think about instances that God may have used it for eventual good.

When Moses was sent by God, with his brother Aaron, to see Pharoah in Egypt to set the Israelites free, God hardened Pharoahs' heart and mind for two reasons:

(1) To show him the power and might of the God of Israel

(2) God knew that Pharoah and the Egyptian priests initially would not believe Moses' God had the power to rain down the plagues on the kingdom; it took seven of them before God opened his heart and mind. Then Pharoah decided to let them go.

Could this be construed as evil for the sake of good?

The Cross had been used for centuries as a heinous symbol of death, agony, and suffering.

Yet God chose that very symbol over any other choice on which to place His Son to die for all our sins.

Is there evil for good in that instance?
penn

K

Kain99

Wow! Nice article. What interests me the most is you. What were you orginally taught about the fall of Man?

The article basically outlines the story the way I learned it as a child. Raised Southern Baptist and then on to even bigger things, Penecostal as an adult.

I didn't have an epiphany after digesting the content. I'd love to know what you read and what it showed you that you didn't see before.

Nothing interests me more than the difference in religions. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
The Fall....

Kain, I'd never quite heard it put they way this writer - David Petrie - is laying it down:
God realised the only way Satan could reach humans and interact with mankind was through the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil.

However God did not prohibit all access to humanity by Satan-- humans had to face the reality of evil and to choose to serve God rather than Satan.

I guess even after all that I've read, and the many discussions I've sat in on, I never linked the Tree to the fact that God knew it was Satan's main venue to corrupt man. Never heard it descibed that way.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Very, Very True!

Originally posted by Kain99
God's always been big on free choice... He's not interested in a bunch of robotic drones loving him without choice. So he allows evil. Gives everyone a choice.

Nay sayers and Atheists use these arguments to confuse the faithful.

They are in effect waging Satans war. I have always been taught to hold fast the truth that God has spoken and to fight these battles with love and grace.
:smile: I think you are totally right on this. You wrote this reply a few days ago, and I have just looked at what you've said again.

It's as though naysayers and atheists don't have anything they can truly believe in, except themselves, and that would seem to lead to an egotistical attitude.

Instead of reaching outwards, they are only looking inward; and I surmise that they are not happy with what they see.

They cannot understand why people would believe in a God they cannot see or touch, who only have faith that He is real and lives among us.

As you say, we need to "hold fast the truth that God has spoken
spoken and to fight these battles with love and grace"

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Originally posted by cariblue
Hey Vrai!!! I think this is for you!!
And WHAT is THAT supposed to mean? :lol:

Penn, I think your self-righteousness is sweet, I really do. But you need to stop getting your atheist stereotypes from the Madelyn Murray O'Hair website.

Only by looking inward can we truly reach out. And, judging by the way you conduct yourself on this website, I would have to believe I'm MUCH happier than you are.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Hey, Hey Don't take it personal....

Well don't tell SmallTown or he'll get jealous and divorce me. :lol:
LOL!! This is a reply to another forum member, it was not directed at anyone, nor were names mentioned. GEEEZ, is cari crying to momma again?!?!

What's that? A new rumor about involving ST?:biggrin:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Originally posted by penncam
GEEEZ, is cari crying to momma again?!?!
Why do you do that? I think that's a MUCH better question than "Where does evil come from".

A new rumor about involving ST?
You oughta know, big guy. :bubble: You tell two friends, then they tell two friends, and so on, and so on.....

bknarw

Attire Monitor
Why do you do that? I think that's a MUCH better question than "Where does evil come from".

Actually, the question should be:
"From where does evil come?"

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm

You oughta know, big guy. :bubble: You tell two friends, then they tell two friends, and so on, and so on.....
:biggrin: Do you see or hear ghosts? Do you hear telephones ringing when they're not? Imagination running wild?
:biggrin:

SmallTown

Football season!
The board mommy probably won't say for privacy reasons, but it would be interesting to see just how many people complain to the board mommy about posts, and how many of the accusers have actually complained to her themselves.

As far as the root of evil... I would have to say it's the 7th district.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
deargod_stop.jpg

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Originally posted by penncam
Do you see or hear ghosts? Do you hear telephones ringing when they're not? Imagination running wild?
At the risk of offending our more tolerant Christian brethren, I'm not the one who talks to imaginary beings and asks them to solve all my problems for me.