White Nationalists Say Charlottesville Was Just a Beginning

Wishbone

Sorcery.

I wrote Goebbels upthread, so I was thinking of that when you threw a Rommel curveball.
Anyway, I'm pretty sure that he'd be viewed in the same light, even though his Nazism sympathy is ambiguous. He was a pretty key element of the wehrmacht.

Anyway my point wasn't really to get into the finer points of WWII. I only brought it up to draw a parallel with my own heritage with those of Confederates. Incidentally, I have quite a bit of Confederacy in my blood as well. At the end of the day I'm an American, and I have long renounced all other nationalities in favor of that.

I don't see it as a curveball, as we're talking military people here.

The civil war and WWII are a bad comparison anyway. Differing factions and motives.

And I had family on both side of WWII.

Hank

my war
That's what kills me about some folks. I would write them off as idiots, but friends of mine - people who I know for a fact are smarter than this - subscribe to the same stupid-ass philosophy as if it's not a paradox. "It's not about racism, it's about our history".
But it's not.

It's not OUR history. It's about the history of a nation that lost, and no longer ####ing exists. They are monuments to a failed nation. They are monuments to failed ideals. They are monuments to treason.

And before someone chimes in with "My ancestors were Confederates! So it is about my history, my heritage", again I say: No, it's not. My blood is mostly German and Irish. I lay no claim to Nazism or the ####ing IRA. I feel zero connection to any of those a-holes. Be an American or be something else. If you want to pretend to be a Confederate, that's fine by me - but own it. Admit you think slavery is dandy, and you'd like to go back to the way things were before you got your asses ripped open by a superior force.

Well, then maybe I should start erecting statues of Goebbels and He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named because I want to respect my own heritage. NOT THAT I HATE JEWS MIND YOU!!! But because they were doing what they thought was right and necessary in the creation of a better world. In the end, they were only trying to help.

False dilemma my ass.

We fought a war against those mother ####ers just like we did with the Confederates. And won... just like we did against the Confederates.

The question shouldn't be why are we taking the statues down? The question should be, why did we erect the goddam things in the first place.

:clap:

gemma_rae

I agree with the monuments, its history. but to pull it down like we did with the Saidam (SP) statue is disrespectful, some confederate widows spent their hard eared money to get the statue erected. if the masses don't want it there them move it to a museum. but its amazing the alt right Folks were full armed and no one got shot. they were there to protect the statue, but the alt left showed up and started stuff.

Why has everyone conveniently ignored this comment? Must we give them "Room to destroy"?

P.S. Flying Pigs are for Pink Floyd concerts. :larry:

nutz

That's what kills me about some folks. I would write them off as idiots, but friends of mine - people who I know for a fact are smarter than this - subscribe to the same stupid-ass philosophy as if it's not a paradox. "It's not about racism, it's about our history".
But it's not.

It's not OUR history. It's about the history of a nation that lost, and no longer ####ing exists. They are monuments to a failed nation. They are monuments to failed ideals. They are monuments to treason.

And before someone chimes in with "My ancestors were Confederates! So it is about my history, my heritage", again I say: No, it's not. My blood is mostly German and Irish. I lay no claim to Nazism or the ####ing IRA. I feel zero connection to any of those a-holes. Be an American or be something else. If you want to pretend to be a Confederate, that's fine by me - but own it. Admit you think slavery is dandy, and you'd like to go back to the way things were before you got your asses ripped open by a superior force.

It may not be YOUR history, but as an American citizen it is certainly part of MY history. Don't like it, the border is open. Go find yourself a better place to live.

nutz

Well, then maybe I should start erecting statues of Goebbels and He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named because I want to respect my own heritage. NOT THAT I HATE JEWS MIND YOU!!! But because they were doing what they thought was right and necessary in the creation of a better world. In the end, they were only trying to help.

False dilemma my ass.

We fought a war against those mother ####ers just like we did with the Confederates. And won... just like we did against the Confederates.

The question shouldn't be why are we taking the statues down? The question should be, why did we erect the goddam things in the first place.

Should we erase all the way back to when Columbus "found" the new land? When the native Indian tribes were rooted from "their" land? From which point in time would you pick to start recording history, the day your little privileged ass entered the world?

PJay

Should we erase all the way back to when Columbus "found" the new land? When the native Indian tribes were rooted from "their" land? From which point in time would you pick to start recording history, the day your little privileged ass entered the world?

I truly believe they want scorched earth.

Toxick

Splat
I don't see it as a curveball, as we're talking military people here.

I know you weren't throwing a curveball.... I just conflated the two in my own head - not

Ya know what. Who cares.

And I'm not trying to draw a 1:1 comparison between WW2 and CW. I was drawing parallels between very specific eleme

Ya know what. Who cares. I've said my peace. You disagree. I'm not going to get dragged into a mire of semantics today.

Toxick

Splat

Yeah, because that's what I said.
Why don't you try reading what I said and absorbing the words, instead of inserting your own preconceived notions about what you think I mean. Because I never said any of that bull####.

And "privileged ass"? Do you think I'm some wide-eyed idealist millennial asswipe born with a silver spoon in each orifice? Guess again.

What you know about me amounts to exactly dick.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
From your link... Rommel was not a member of the Nazi Party.[533]

Also from my link:

Erwin Rommel (15 November 1891 – 14 October 1944) was a German general. Popularly known as the Desert Fox, he served as field marshal in the Wehrmacht of Nazi Germany during World War II.

Rommel supported the Nazi seizure of power and Adolf Hitler...

But you can pick and choose whatever makes you feel good about your erroneous statement.

Wishbone

Also from my link:

Erwin Rommel (15 November 1891 – 14 October 1944) was a German general. Popularly known as the Desert Fox, he served as field marshal in the Wehrmacht of Nazi Germany during World War II.

Rommel supported the Nazi seizure of power and Adolf Hitler...

But you can pick and choose whatever makes you feel good about your erroneous statement.

I wasn't picking and choosing anything. I made a statement, you used a wikipedia link, and the same link countered it and reinforced precisely what I stated.

Rommel was not a Nazi. Petraeus worked for Obama and fought where told and he wasnt a Democrat.

He supported the established government of his nation, the same as other military officers and enlisted.

This_person

False dilemma my ass.

With all due respect, you say it is not about white heritage or American heritage, and I can agree. However, the heritage of [insert whatever it means to someone, like chivalrous treatment of women, or freedom from federal control of states, or regional pride] to the person claiming it should not be dismissed.

Just because YOU choose to not absorb any part of your German heritage, that doesn't mean other Americans of German ancestry are not proud of the engineering capabilities of Germans, or of German beers, or.....

I can fully agree that - to some - these people and flags and such represent the hatred and racism of part of the people part of the time, but you have to be able to see that the people who see it differently are just as American, just as [insert any race, color, creed, or ethnicity here] as every other American, [race, color, creed, ethnicity] that disagrees.

Why do we have Confederate generals as statues? Well, why do we have monuments to Ben Franklin? He considered himself English first and foremost for the majority of his years. Why do we have monuments to soldiers who died on the battlefield - after all, they lost? Why do we speak English - those people were our enemies!? Why do we have states, cities, counties, statues and many other things all glorifying the monarchies?

Why? Because they are all part of our heritage. We have a POW camp in southern Maryland as a tourist attraction, because imprisoning our own people was part of our heritage. We have a national Japanese Memorial recognizing those that were put in encampments by our government, because that huge mistake was part of our heritage, too. Those camps stood for hatred, bigotry, and racism, but we recognize that we did that.

You ask why we put them up in the first place. Because, we have to openly acknowledge our past to provide the right warning to the rest of us in the present and future. And, in some ways, it is as right to admire the southern fighters against American hypocrisy and federalism and federal encroachment on state and individual rights as it is to admire Jefferson, Monroe, Madison, et al.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

Land all over the world has been conquered and reconquered and conquered again. None of it is in the hands of its original owner. So let's talk about winners and losers:

Native Americans lose to White Devils

Brits lose to Colonists

Native Americans lose again to White Devils

Brits lose again to Colonists

Mexicans lose to Americans

Confederates lose to Unionists

Clintonistas lose to Trumpsters

See how there's no "erasing history"? History is still there. It didn't go anywhere.

By your logic we should erect a statue of Hillary Clinton and put it on the Mall in DC. I mean, she lost, right? And roughly half this nation saw her as an icon and great leader, right? Can I sign you up to donate a bag of cement?