Young Child Behavior

pebbles

Great post! & I love Vrai's #1 RULE too. It's so true.

We did something like that to get mine to sleep in his own bed. We had a plastic vase & got the marbles. When he went to bed with no problems he got to put a marble in the next day. If he stayed in there all not (not crawling into bed with us) he got to put in one more. If he refused or ended up on couch he had to take one out. Same concept, works great too!

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
LOL, most if not all children do this at one point or another. Until I had children I didn't get it either.

I think my son was too afraid of his Father to act out like that. My Ex was rather harsh with discipline. He called it "old school" since it was physical punishment.

JeJeTe

Happiness
This type of chart worked well when it came to potty training time too. It's the only thing that worked actually.

SoMDGirl42

I was in DSW Saturday and there was a small child in there throwing a tantrum screaming at the top of his lungs - very annoying. The mother kept telling him to stop and he just screamed more. Finally she had her female friend/relative? take him outside. What in the world is going on for a child to act like that in a store? I wondered if it was bad parenting or just a difficult child. How would one best deal with that kind of scenario? Just thought I'd throw this out there since I was wondering what the parent could have done in this case?

Many children with autism have "melt downs". If you've never experienced one, you don't want to. They are horrific. I made it a point that when my granddaughter experienced one in public, we would leave. I've left full grocery carts parked in the isle and walked out. It's not fun.

So next time, think twice before judging (this is not directed toward you, just in general). Not all kids that throw "tantrums" are horrible, spoiled rotten kids, nor are the parents lazy, rotten parents. Sometimes there are children that actually have disabilities that can't control when a melt down happens.

and after reading this, yes, some ARE just horrible rotten, spoiled kids and the parents should be shot for multiplying.

Last edited:

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Many children with autism have "melt downs". If you've never experienced one, you don't want to. They are horrific. I made it a point that when my granddaughter experienced one in public, we would leave. I've left full grocery carts parked in the isle and walked out. It's not fun.

So next time, think twice before judging (this is not directed toward you, just in general). Not all kids that throw "tantrums" are horrible, spoiled rotten kids, nor are the parents lazy, rotten parents. Sometimes there are children that actually have disabilities that can't control when a melt down happens.

and after reading this, yes, some ARE just horrible rotten, spoiled kids and the parents should be shot for multiplying.

as a general rule, many people do tend to be judgmental, but I do try to just be neutral as much as possible. Yes I have seen an autistic child mis-behaving, but not a total meltdown yet. I've heard about the meltdowns from my coworker about his daughter. They can't have anything made of glass around or she will break it. Many people are exhausted from dealing with children that have issues that go way beyond mis-bahaving.

luvmygdaughters

An episode of Wife Swap used the same technique to get a brat to fall in line. It shifts the responsibility to the little person, where it belongs.

I remember having a very large kindergarten class in the 60s. I also don't recall anyone really acting up. Now I read stories of pre-k kids biting staff and throwing chairs. Could it be that we feared the physical wrath of our teachers and parents enough to keep us in line?

:yeahthat:

Mr_Bond_Got_Em

Thanks to the OP and all the suggestions. My son is about to turn 3 and has given us hard times here and there, I think I'll implement this chart and try it out.

pelers

Try the Dollar Tree in San Souci plaza (or any other dollar store). I recall seeing a rack of this sort of stuff.

:love: Thanks! I'm a mean mommy and have never given my children stickers before, so I really had no idea where to look.

KDENISE977

:love: Thanks! I'm a mean mommy and have never given my children stickers before, so I really had no idea where to look.

Ohhh stickers were great for the potty chart, and at school he would get one m&m if he went on the potty.

The smiley chart has worked WONDERS so far, if he's acting up or just generally being a hyper 3 year old, if I mention "do you want a sad face" it's "nooooooo mommy, I don't want sad face". His teachers are very pleased and we are as well, he was on a one way track to being "that awful" kid at school that teachers hate dealing with and now he says "see mommy, I have on my listening ears" and is excited to tell daddy that he got "2 happy faces" or whatever he got the minute my husband walks through the door. :yay:

:gossip: P.S. mean mommies don't give their children Citrus boxes

Last edited:

MarieB

Overtired and hungry - recipe for a disaster even at home and even for those above toddler stage

In public - embarrassing

PeoplesElbow

I pass plenty of judgement on the people that ignore the #### their little crotch dropping does that bothers other people.

Had a kid try to trip me one day in walmart, too bad for him he didnt understand physics very well and my 300 lbs drug him about 6 feet without missing a beat before his foot came unhooked from around my ankle.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I pass plenty of judgement on the people that ignore the #### their little crotch dropping does that bothers other people.

Had a kid try to trip me one day in walmart, too bad for him he didnt understand physics very well and my 300 lbs drug him about 6 feet without missing a beat before his foot came unhooked from around my ankle.

OMG why would a kid want to trip someone? Seriously that could really hurt someone badly. That kind of behavior is telling of the kind of people the kid has been around and/or what kind of person the kid will become in life. That prank's not even funny, that's downright mean.

KDENISE977

OMG why would a kid want to trip someone? Seriously that could really hurt someone badly. That kind of behavior is telling of the kind of people the kid has been around and/or what kind of person the kid will become in life. That prank's not even funny, that's downright mean.

I wonder about some parents... I had my son (3) at the pediatric dentist and he was playing in a little fort type ship they have there and 2 older kids probably 8 and 9 came in to play in the ship too and one of them decided to put reach out and smack my son on the butt... I saw the whole thing (and saw traces of red) and turned around and the childrens mother had watched the incident and said NOTHING to her kids...NOTHING. I was livid !!! I'm pizzed just typing about this... rotten little monsters... I swear to you my lips disappeared and fangs must have sprouted out of my face.

PeoplesElbow

I wonder about some parents... I had my son (3) at the pediatric dentist and he was playing in a little fort type ship they have there and 2 older kids probably 8 and 9 came in to play in the ship too and one of them decided to put reach out and smack my son on the butt... I saw the whole thing (and saw traces of red) and turned around and the childrens mother had watched the incident and said NOTHING to her kids...NOTHING. I was livid !!! I'm pizzed just typing about this... rotten little monsters... I swear to you my lips disappeared and fangs must have sprouted out of my face.

Should have reached over and smacked her.