Inlaws

meme

The Smart Hooker
My MIL is coming down for a month...only staying with us for a week and staying the rest of the time with my BIL. I don't know if I can stand a whole week with her. Does anyone else not get along with their inlaws?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I got along with my former in-laws, I just didn't like the FIL and BIL very much and there was a lot of tongue biting and stress when they were around. My in-laws now are awesome, though - the family I never had.

FirstClass

My inlaws are crazy :crazy: and retarded they think they know everything about everything and are very jealus people, they are just weird. They are not that old yet they have the old day beliefs to, so weird.

CMC122

Go Braves!
FirstClass said:
My inlaws are crazy :crazy: and retarded they think they know everything about everything and are very jealus people, they are just weird. They are not that old yet they have the old day beliefs to, so weird.
I bet my inlaws think they are better then your inlaws:lol:

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
I don't care too much for my gf's dad... He's a nice guy and all, but he's such a pessimist/worrier/complainer that if I spend more than 20 minutes around him, he really starts to grate on my nerves.

He also dreams up these schemes like trying to convince his daughter to get tested for some obscure spinal deformity just so she can get some kind of disability check every month. When she refuses (because to the best of her knowledge, she's completely healthy) he comes back with "But it's a free test! It couldn't hurt! And you might get some money for it! I'll bring over the paperwork right now." :rolleyes:

I got fed up at that point and flat out told him that there's no sense in getting any medical tests done just for a disability check, when it's perfectly obvious she isn't disabled. Ticks me off.

He likes me and doesn't like me. He likes me because he knows I can be a good provider for his daughter and because I'm a nice guy. He doesn't like me because I represent the fact that he won't be able to manipulate his daughter quite so bad with me around. He comes from a culture (overseas) where the man is the king of the household, and all the women are to bend over backwards to make sure he's happy. The men are very dominant, and they think nothing of slapping around the women to keep them in line. He won't even cook for himself when his wife goes out of town to see family, and instead calls up my gf to demand that she cook for him. :rolleyes:

He's got his good and bad points. He's tries to be a nice guy overall, but I don't like his attitude toward women, and his somewhat "entitlement-oriented" outlook. I don't like to make excuses for anyone, but I'm not sure how much I can fault him for it. Maybe it's just the environment in which he was raised. :shrug:

FirstClass

CMC122 said:
I bet my inlaws think they are better then your inlaws:lol:

THEN THEY WOULD BE FIGHTING :duel: THAT IS THE WHOLE REASON THEY HAVE NO FRIENDS OR NO LIFE, THEY ARE TO GOOD FOR EVERYONE, THEY WILL FIND ONE THING WRONG WITH SOMEONE AND NOT TALK TO THEM ANYMORE, THERE ONLY LIFE IS THERE GRANDKIDS, THEY BEG AND BEG TO HAVE THEM ALL THE TIME BUT DON'T WANT TO MAKE THEM MIND SO IT GETS ME IN AN UPROAR, THEN ME AND THE DH GO FIGHTING B/C GOD FORBID ANYONE SAY ANYTHING ABOUT HIS FAMILY.

citysherry

I Need a Beer
CMC122 said:
:howdy: Like Vrai I have a permanent ridge across you tongue now from biting it ALL the time:lol:

:killingme

Personally, when my inlaws visit our house, I refuse to walk on egg shells...my house, my children, my rules apply. However, I will hold my tongue if we're visiting their house.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
tys_mommy said:
I feel lucky, am I think only one that actually gets along with my inlaws
Nope - I was talking about my EX inlaws. My inlaws now are the best people I know and I love every last one of them dearly.

SamSpade

I also get along with my in-laws, and my wife and I go to see my folks about once a month. Her description of my ma? "She's a sweetie". So luckily, no problem there.

Desdemona

FirstClass said:

We must be related. You just described my BIL & SIL, except mine are too dumb to have any such beliefs. I got caller ID and security cameras outside my house pretty much just so I can avoid talking to them.

CMC122

Go Braves!
Desdemona said:
We must be related. You just described my BIL & SIL, except mine are too dumb to have any such beliefs. I got caller ID and security cameras outside my house pretty much just so I can avoid talking to them.
Now, that's bad :lol:

Desdemona

CMC122 said:
Now, that's bad :lol:

Oh, it's so much worse than that, I work at the school where my nephew attends. I don't have a problem with him and I go out of my way to talk to him especially 'cause I know the poor kid doesn't have a chance., But if I see or am even told that BIL / SIL are anywhere near the building, I will orchestrate my path so it doesn't run into theirs. Others who work there try to avoid the same people as well, so I don't think it's just me. I tell you, they are just ridiculous people.

Also, we live next to hubby's grandmother. If we get wind they are coming to visit her, we find someplace else to be real quick.

meme

The Smart Hooker
My MIL is a complete nutcase. My MIL is very controlling and if she doesn't get her way then she will get mad and hang up. My FIL refers to me as a "Farmers Daughter." When my father wasn't even a farmer...he's retired from the Navy. WTF? My FIL is an alkie. He's not even a fun one, he's a rude and obnoxious one. My MIL has no common sense.

My husband and I are married now, but I actually got pregnant before we got married. We were engaged and had a wedding date before I found out. But my MIL wouldn't even tell anyone that I was pregnant because it embarassed her and she didn't want to upset my husbands grandparents. So no one in his family knew I was pregnant up until a month or two ago. I thought they were nice because they gave us a bit of money for a wedding gift, but actually wouldn't give it to us until they saw our marriage certificate.

I can't stand them...I told hubby today that she can't stay with us even if it's for a week when the baby comes because I will go postal. :boxing:

Desdemona

I would definitely put the stops on MIL staying w/ you after having a baby. :yikes:

I loved my MIL and I still couldn't have stood to have her (or anyone else for that matter) around for a week.

K

Kizzy

Oh, it is only a week, you will be fine. Just let her do everything and rest, believe me you will wish you had help as time goes by. I know it is hard for you with a difficult MIL, but she is also the hubby's mom. It is not only a hard thing for you but hard for him to just cast his mother's feelings aside too.

:huggy: Hang in there and good luck with the baby.

Wickedwrench

Stubborn and opinionated
My inlaws think better of me than their own daughter these days. I'd say I'm gonna miss em, but they call me frequently and still say she was a tard for leaving.