Jap Beetles

The Jap Beetles have about killed my cherry trees every summer since I planted them. They both look pathetic, with all the dead branches I trimmed off this year. The beetles have managed to kill off two rose bushes. I thought I was gonna get skipped this year, since they hadn't shown up yet as of a week and a half ago. WRONG! They have arrived. Didn't get to harvest a single cherry off my second tree, the little spawns of satan ate them all as soon as they got ripe. They are now working on the leaves of the trees. I bought traps on Tuesday night. After doing yard work last night, I put two out. Turns out, Jap beetles are not the only thing attracted to them. Mosquitoes like them too. As soon as I opened the lure on the first trap, I was swarmed by the blood suckers. Hopefully the traps will work. Gonna put out 2 more tonight.

Pete

Repete
huntr1 said:
The Jap Beetles have about killed my cherry trees every summer since I planted them. They both look pathetic, with all the dead branches I trimmed off this year. The beetles have managed to kill off two rose bushes. I thought I was gonna get skipped this year, since they hadn't shown up yet as of a week and a half ago. WRONG! They have arrived. Didn't get to harvest a single cherry off my second tree, the little spawns of satan ate them all as soon as they got ripe. They are now working on the leaves of the trees. I bought traps on Tuesday night. After doing yard work last night, I put two out. Turns out, Jap beetles are not the only thing attracted to them. Mosquitoes like them too. As soon as I opened the lure on the first trap, I was swarmed by the blood suckers. Hopefully the traps will work. Gonna put out 2 more tonight.
I hate the Beatles. lol:burning:

Wickedwrench

Stubborn and opinionated
I've been waiting for those damn things to show up. Sprayed my weeping cherry tree last week as a precaution. Looks like if the beetles don't kill them the drought soon will.Time to break out the water buckets and get to work.:burning:

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
I shovel pruned 4 hybrid tea roses this Spring due to JB's feeding frenzy over the last few years, the beetles haven't come back yet. When/if they do I'll spray.

I actually has more beetles than ever when I tried the traps one year. The "lure" attracts them. My yard is small so it wasn't a good idea. Since your yard is huge, set the traps at the farthest place away from your plants. Or better yet, hope your neighbor uses them and your's will fly to their yard. :lol:

As for your cherry tree, they are probably coming up under the ground below the branches because that's where the grubs are. "Merit" might be worth a try.

http://www.bugspray.com/catalog/products/page340.html

Wickedwrench said:
Is it true that having moles will reduce jap beetle grubs in your yard?
So they say. But if that's true, I'd hate to see how many I'd have if I didn't have moles. My back yard is getting TORN UP by them.

Elle

Happy Camper!
huntr1 said:
As soon as I opened the lure on the first trap, I was swarmed by the blood suckers. Hopefully the traps will work. Gonna put out 2 more tonight.
I've actually heard that the traps attract more. They will smell the traps and come from other places to be near it.:shrug:

I had a trap from my grandma the first year after we moved, collected 100's of the little bastages. Never bought the refills so I didn't put it back out and haven't really had that much of a problem last year or this. I bought a propane bug catcher thing that I assumed would only attract more on the same philosophy but that sucker is da bomb. Not only do I not have a mosquito problem but no gnats or other annoying bugs either.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Elle said:
I've actually heard that the traps attract more. They will smell the traps and come from other places to be near it.:shrug:

I had a trap from my grandma the first year after we moved, collected 100's of the little bastages. Never bought the refills so I didn't put it back out and haven't really had that much of a problem last year or this. I bought a propane bug catcher thing that I assumed would only attract more on the same philosophy but that sucker is da bomb. Not only do I not have a mosquito problem but no gnats or other annoying bugs either.
Wondered of the propane traps.. thanks for the info!!

Beetle traps work, have one hanging in the tree in the yard, and they are now leaving my rose bushes alone.. Have probably 30 - 40 Beetles in their now.. couple more days can melt some chocolate and have a meal!!

Elle

Happy Camper!
itsbob said:
Wondered of the propane traps.. thanks for the info!!
I got it at Target last year right after summer (50% off baby). Mine's made by Coleman, I'm sure there are others on the market too though.

Elle said:

Yes, they do attract more beetles. However, they are attracted to the trap, and thus leave your bushes/trees alone (assuming the traps are not too close to them). I will check the traps and trees tonight to see how they are working and evaluate their placement.

Wickedwrench

Stubborn and opinionated
huntr1 said:
So they say. But if that's true, I'd hate to see how many I'd have if I didn't have moles. My back yard is getting TORN UP by them.
My dogs love killing those things.:lol:

T.Rally

Apply GrubX in early spring, like March. Do it every year. Moles should decrease as should the Beetles.

I will use a coffee can with a couple of ounces of motor oil and brush the beetles into the can. You will have to do that daily until they're gone or at least until all your foliage has been eaten away. Pain in the butt but so is attracting every beetle in a 500 yard radius to your bag-a-bug.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
The key to less Japanese Beetles is to get rid of their larval (grub) stage in your yard. GrubEx works well, but like most chemicals can be toxic especially to children and pets and beneficial insects. Be VERY careful when using it.

As an organic gardener, I prefer to use Milky Spore, a naturally occurring nontoxic microscopic bacteria (Bacillus popilliae) that kills the grubs before they turn into adults. It's a long term solution to the problem, for once it's established in your yard, it lasts for 10 years or more. It does take a year or so to get established, but you can use other treatments in tandem with it like Grub Guard and Neem Oil.

Japanese Beetle Controls

Milky Spore Powder

(BTW Vrai, can I have my Birkenstocks back now? :lol: )

Triggerfish

BTW you do realize that Jap is a racial slur don't you? Before anyone states that it's an abbreviation, the abbreviation for Japan or Japanese is JPN.

Triggerfish

jazz lady said:
As an organic gardener, I prefer to use Milky Spore, a naturally occurring nontoxic microscopic bacteria (Bacillus popilliae) that kills the grubs before they turn into adults. It's a long term solution to the problem, for once it's established in your yard, it lasts for 10 years or more. It does take a year or so to get established.

I applied milky spore to my lawn last year and I am waiting for the results. It is a bit pricey though.

Triggerfish

Sharon said:
I shovel pruned 4 hybrid tea roses this Spring due to JB's feeding frenzy over the last few years, the beetles haven't come back yet. When/if they do I'll spray.

I actually has more beetles than ever when I tried the traps one year. The "lure" attracts them. My yard is small so it wasn't a good idea. Since your yard is huge, set the traps at the farthest place away from your plants. Or better yet, hope your neighbor uses them and your's will fly to their yard. :lol:

As for your cherry tree, they are probably coming up under the ground below the branches because that's where the grubs are. "Merit" might be worth a try.

http://www.bugspray.com/catalog/products/page340.html
:yeahthat:

The traps will attract the beatles not just in your yard but if your neighbors aren't using them it attracts them too. The ones not caught by the traps will find mates in your yard and lay eggs in your yard. More grubs in your yard next year and more beetles when they mature.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Triggerfish said:
I applied milky spore to my lawn last year and I am waiting for the results. It is a bit pricey though.
Initially, yes. But if you factor the cost over the lifespan of the product, it's actually cheaper than buying something like GrubEx every year.

Screw the perceived racial slur. Like I give a sh!t if someone is offended by my lazy typing in a GARDENING forum. It's not like I am saying we should take the beetles and make them build a bridge over the river patuxent. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I am planning on going the milky spore route. Saw it for the first time at southern states last year. Gonna look online for a cheaper source. Did see that they carry it at Lowes. Plan to put it down in the fall when I aerate/seed/fertilize the yard.

DoWhat said:
Please let us know how it turns out.
The traps have started working. I had put one on either side of the yard, since I wasn't sure which way the wind blew. Found out when I checked the traps and trees. I moved the one I had placed upwind from my trees. I also put out 2 additional traps further away from my trees to stop them before they reach that portion of my yard. Never fear DW, I will continue to keep you posted on the results.:yay: