Explorer or Expedition? Or maybe a 4-Runner?

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
Trying to decide which one....I know the Expedition is bigger, but is the actual gas mileage that much different?

Any comments?

The vehicle i REALLY want won't cut the mustard for living out in God's country...SO I am forced to get an SUV that does. :frown:

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
Maybe one horse in a stock trailer. I'm getting a tow package on whatever i get. We have the F350s for any "real" hauling i do. But I might just throw a single horse in the stock trailer and tote it somewhere close.

I'm guessing the 4-Runner is entirely too small for that. I think I've already ruled it out due to it's size.

this will be my everyday vehicle, I'm selling the Lexus. It's just not made for the LONG dirt driveway we have. :frown:

moon5leg

It's not easy being green
4-runner is just as big as the Explorer, V-8 is available in either, but 4-runner's standard towing capacity is double the Explorer's. Gas mileage is a pinch better in everyday driving in the 4-runner.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
happyappygirl said:
this will be my everyday vehicle, I'm selling the Lexus. It's just not made for the LONG dirt driveway we have. :frown:
Get a Subaru wagon. Decent milage, AWD, lots of room inside for carrying crap and many time world rally cup winner in the dirt. You can always use the truck for pulling a trailer.

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
moon5leg said:
4-runner is just as big as the Explorer, V-8 is available in either, but 4-runner's standard towing capacity is double the Explorer's. Gas mileage is a pinch better in everyday driving in the 4-runner.

The 4-Runner is made more for hauling/different terrain (not heavy, more of a mid-weight hauler) than the Explorer, as the Explorer really isn't a "hauling" type of vehicle. But rather, more of your small vacation type, or light haul, with a little but of room for comfort.

The 4 Runner is the best on gas.

The Expo which is the worse on gas, has the most room, will tow the most, and tow the horse trailor better than the others and still have the torque to get out of it's own way when needed. With still having a comfortable ride to say the least.

All have there perks. Just depends what exactly your looking for... The gas mileage with some towing capacity, you should go with the 4-Runner. The comfort and most tow capacity, but worse gas milage, the Expo.

To have a median of both, the Explorer...

Hopefully, something in there can help :yay:

Homer J

Power Chord
I've got an '03 Explorer with the V-6. I have been very happy with it. With the V-8 you should have no problem towing a horse trailer. Just don't try to rent a trailer from U-Haul. They still won't let you tow one with an Explorer.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Homer J said:
Just don't try to rent a trailer from U-Haul. They still won't let you tow one with an Explorer.
Vehical with relatively short wheelbase and tall ground clearance will have a tendenancy to flip over if you have a heavy trailer and hit your brakes in a corner.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
aps45819 said:
Get a Subaru wagon. Decent milage, AWD, lots of room inside for carrying crap and many time world rally cup winner in the dirt. You can always use the truck for pulling a trailer.
Key word here...WAGON :lol: that brings to mind what we used to call a "mom blob car" :lol:
I need something with more ground clearance for back here. I have to replace the CV boots AGAIN in my car, that's twice since we've lived her in only 2 years. :frown:

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
moon5leg said:
REALLY?? Hmm...maybe i should reconsider the 4-Runner. I'll have to test drive both.
I'll be hauling dogs in the back too. Is the interior really the same size as the Explorer??

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
happyappygirl said:
REALLY?? Hmm...maybe i should reconsider the 4-Runner. I'll have to test drive both.
I'll be hauling dogs in the back too. Is the interior really the same size as the Explorer??

Is it 48 or 72 hour test drive you can do now....

Might be something to look at for all 3, and test them all :yay:

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
Softballkid said:
The 4-Runner is made more for hauling/different terrain (not heavy, more of a mid-weight hauler) than the Explorer, as the Explorer really isn't a "hauling" type of vehicle. But rather, more of your small vacation type, or light haul, with a little but of room for comfort.

The 4 Runner is the best on gas.

The Expo which is the worse on gas, has the most room, will tow the most, and tow the horse trailor better than the others and still have the torque to get out of it's own way when needed. With still having a comfortable ride to say the least.

All have there perks. Just depends what exactly your looking for... The gas mileage with some towing capacity, you should go with the 4-Runner. The comfort and most tow capacity, but worse gas milage, the Expo.

To have a median of both, the Explorer...

Hopefully, something in there can help :yay:
So... is the 4-Runner not really as comfortable as the Explorer? Rottncop is 6' and a big guy. THAT's why he wants the Expedition, but i will be driving this as an everyday car so i want something better on gas. (The battle rages on in our house :lol:)

Can he comfortably drive a 4-Runner? Leg Room and all? Is it lower to the ground than the Explorer? I'm talking about the 06 for both.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
happyappygirl said:
Are you talking new or used??

First I would look at consumer reports and see how they rate them.. look at price and resale value, reliability etc.. then take your final picks out for a ride. DO you want a Soccer Mom SUV or do you want a truck? Personally I think the 4 door TOyota Pick-up would be the best choice.. V-8 so you can tow, 4 doors so still room for 5 or six passengers, a bed to haul stuff in without dirtying up or smelling up your interior, towing capacity up the yahoo.. and a friend of ours has an integral generator in his. During Ernesto he lost power and no sump pumps in his basement, he plugs in his truck and no more water in his basement.

Don't limit yourself to just Ford and Toyota when you first start looking, but I'd bet Toyota will still be on your list after the first few selection rounds, at least until you see the sticker..

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
I want new. We have TWO F350s, so no more trucks here :lol:
This will be my every day vehicle, which will most likely NOT be used to haul a trailer (because of the trucks), but WILL be used to tote dogs and tack. I DO want good gas mileage, driving into the city every day like i do.

I figured the Explorer would be more pricey than the Toyota since it's the most popular SUV? No? I haven't price shopped yet. I want to take about a month to decide exactly what i want. Then get into the trenches regarding negotiations....:lol:

That wet basement story should be an Advertisement for Toyota trucks :lol: GREAT story!

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
happyappygirl said:
So... is the 4-Runner not really as comfortable as the Explorer? Rottncop is 6' and a big guy. THAT's why he wants the Expedition, but i will be driving this as an everyday car so i want something better on gas. (The battle rages on in our house :lol:)

Can he comfortably drive a 4-Runner? Leg Room and all? Is it lower to the ground than the Explorer? I'm talking about the 06 for both.

Well in an Explorer or 4-Runner, you do lose leg room compared to the Expo. But if it will be mostly you 2, no other passengers, it wont matter, or even 1 passenger, do to the fact they can sit behind you. I'm 5'11, and have a SuperCrew F150, and I have yet to have to move my seat no matter who sits behind me when I'm driving. And the Expo is the same frame as the F150.

I would definitely take him with you to do the test drives, or look into the 48-72 hour test drive to where you can bring it home, hook the trailor up, and see first hand how each will do hauling, comfort, and gas with the trailor. I do believe once you hook up a horse trailor with horse to a4-Runner or Explorer though, your gas milage will be close to the Expo due to lack of power, engine will run at higher RPM, and burn more.

But I would just do the extended test drive to all 3, and pick out what is right for you mostly, and then add in hubby :yay:

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
Softballkid said:
Well in an Explorer or 4-Runner, you do lose leg room compared to the Expo. But if it will be mostly you 2, no other passengers, it wont matter, or even 1 passenger, do to the fact they can sit behind you. I'm 5'11, and have a SuperCrew F150, and I have yet to have to move my seat no matter who sits behind me when I'm driving. And the Expo is the same frame as the F150.

:yay: EXCELLENT info! I can relate to this!!

Do you know what truck the 4-Runner compares to?

itsbob

I bowl overhand
happyappygirl said:
I want new. We have TWO F350s, so no more trucks here :lol:
This will be my every day vehicle, which will most likely NOT be used to haul a trailer (because of the trucks), but WILL be used to tote dogs and tack. I DO want good gas mileage, driving into the city every day like i do.

I figured the Explorer would be more pricey than the Toyota since it's the most popular SUV? No? I haven't price shopped yet. I want to take about a month to decide exactly what i want. Then get into the trenches regarding negotiations....:lol:

That wet basement story should be an Advertisement for Toyota trucks :lol: GREAT story!
I wouldn't rule out the Nissan Exterra.. NICE SUV.. Know a few that own them and LOVE them, BIL is on his third.

and the price is right.. Toyota you are going to suffer sticker shock.

but again, I'd start with consumer reports.

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
happyappygirl said:
:yay: EXCELLENT info! I can relate to this!!

Do you know what truck the 4-Runner compares to?

Tacoma I think .....

The Toyo will cost more than the Ford :yay: But, depending what you want, you do get more for the money...

But if your not going to haul, except the precious poochies, and the money isn't a big issue, but gas mileage is, I'd go with the 4-Runner :yay:

I can't believe I just said that, because I am so FORD FORD FORD guy all the way

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
Softballkid said:
Tacoma I think .....

The Toyo will cost more than the Ford :yay: But, depending what you want, you do get more for the money...

But if your not going to haul, except the precious poochies, and the money isn't a big issue, but gas mileage is, I'd go with the 4-Runner :yay:

I can't believe I just said that, because I am so FORD FORD FORD guy all the way
You and Rottncop will get along just fine :lol: