11 Month school year

K

Kizzy

Originally posted by carolinagirl
By the way, if they really want to do something productive, they shoud make Pre-K and Kindergarten all day programs instead of this half day crap!! I never heard of such and was very surprised and disappointed by this when we moved here. :mad:

:clap: I do not think going for 1/2 day is productive at all.

jlabsher

Sorry about that chief.
My kid goes to all day kindergarden and complains that the day is too long. I told her that it gets worse when she gets older. Nothing like dad to ruin those starry-eyed dreams of the future.

SuperGrover

jack of all trades
Originally posted by jlabsher
My kid goes to all day kindergarden and complains that the day is too long. I told her that it gets worse when she gets older. Nothing like dad to ruin those starry-eyed dreams of the future.

:clap: That's that real problem with full day pre-K and K. Kid's attention span...

Also, it doesn't help that classes start at 9 AM (too late), don't most younger kids wake up early? I know I used to wake up at 6 AM, ready to tackle the world and by 9 AM needed a nap!

Last edited:

jlabsher

Sorry about that chief.
I have a hard enough time with MY attention span at work, I can imagine what it must be like for a 5 year old. The wife loves all day K though, can spend more time with the 2 year old.

I remember way back in the dark ages when I went to school it started around 7:30 and got out at 3:30. Of course we went from Labor day to Memorial day. They still have that calendar in Illinois, of course the teachers don't have a "professional day" each month. That adds 2 weeks to the school year.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Originally posted by SuperGrover
Forget extending the school year...

BOTTOM LINE:

PARENTS NEED TO TAKE AN ACTIVE ROLE IN EDUCATING THEIR CHILDREN

It's a shame when children come to school and don't even know how to hold a pencil or crayon!

:yeahthat:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I'm all for teachers working a real, full time, year round job. And don't mind the idea of kids going year round..

SuperGrover

jack of all trades
Originally posted by itsbob
I'm all for teachers working a real, full time, year round job. And don't mind the idea of kids going year round..

People have such negative views of teachers having a summer break. Let's see... Federal workers get 25+ days a year -- thats workdays-- for vacation time, if used in conjunction with holidays, sick days, etc. adds up to almost 60 calendar days -- believe it or not!!!... mmm AND of those who actually routinely work 20 extra hours a week (OFF THE CLOCK - means UNPAID) to prepare the classroom, prepare/grade tests, meet with parents after school, assist children who need extra help, etc. -- not to mention volunteering within the community.

People need to get over it!

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
Originally posted by Pete
Could you read it to me? I don't have a copy. TIA

:lol:
School may last an extra month for 300 Students
School officials are planning to have 300 St. Mary's elementary students go to school for an additional month this summer.
The school superintendent's plan to test an 11- monthe school year in St. Maryl's was approved by the school board in a 4-0 vote last week. Board member Stephen Kracinovich was not present at the meeting
The vote means that an 11- month school year, with one teacher for every 10 students during the extra month will become a reality if it is finally approved at the Feb. 11 school board meeting. It would start as a voluntary program. Parents of the children chosen would decide whether or not they participate during the first year.
"We want to assist students in making adequate yearly progress and to meet the requirements of the board of education's master plan." said Charles Ridgell, director of secondary instruction. "We eventually hope to offer it to middle school students."
The pilot program would be offered at the three title I elementary schools: George Washington Carver, Green Holly and Lexington Park.
The county hopes to offer the program to 100 students in each school who prerformed poorly on their County Mathematics Assessment and Maryland School Assessment tests.
The 11th month would occur 5 weeks prior tot he start of the first day of school for all students. The program would consist of four weeks of instruction. The students would then have off for one week prior to the start of the regular school year.

No, that's not the whole article, just the important stuff... I love ya, Pete, but they really need to put this crap online.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Let me see.. I'm a new hire,I get 4 hours a pay period.. 26 pay periods a year.. that's 13 paid days a year.. that would translate to less then 3 weeks of vacation time a year. The most I'll get is 8 hours a pay period so that would be AT THE MOST 6 weeks of vacation a year.
Compared to a new teacher that is required to teach 180 days a year divided by a normal school week of 5 days .. that would be 36 weeks of work.. leaves 16 weeks of vacation time a teacher gets EVERY year... I think them working an extra hour or two a day isn't too much to ask.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
And then they send ME homework home to do?? Please read and revise your daughters paper and return... Your child needs more help with his/ her homework... Please help your child in constructing this science project.. Give your child a spelling test, grade, sign and return.. Then to top it off, a good number of them became teachers because it was one of the easiest majors to take in college!!

K

Katie

My mom is a teacher and she works during the summertime. Not teaching, but attending classes so she can keep teaching and preparing lessons for the next school year.

Dymphna

Originally posted by carolinagirl
By the way, if they really want to do something productive, they shoud make Pre-K and Kindergarten all day programs instead of this half day crap!! I never heard of such and was very surprised and disappointed by this when we moved here. :mad:
Kindergarten has always been half-day, but they are expecting a LOT more from the kids then they did when I was in school. I agree that Kindergarten should be all day, but they need to leave preK at half day, and expand it to include a lot more children. Some kids need to transition gradually. Right now, the preK program in my kid's school has 40 total slots for three schools, Dent, White Marsh and Mechanicsville. My oldest child had a documented learning delay (he'd caught up by age 4, but it was still in his record) and as a result, managed to squeak into the preK program, but short of killing my husband and going into the parent interview high, I don't think my second child could get in. And I think he needs the social interaction and transition of a half day program because by the time he's eligable for Kindergarten, it'll be an all day program.

SuperGrover

jack of all trades
Originally posted by Katie
My mom is a teacher and she works during the summertime. Not teaching, but attending classes so she can keep teaching and preparing lessons for the next school year.

Someone who TRULY understands how much time GOOD teachers spend out of the classroom. Granted, like all professions, there are BAD teachers out there and they need to be weeded out.

Last edited:

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Originally posted by cmcdanal
they really need to put this crap online.

I agree! Not having the Southern Maryland papers online is an embarrassment, especially in St. Mary's with all the high-tech defense contractors and their computer-savvy employees. This page (http://gazette.net/somd/) has remained pretty much the same for two or three years.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Originally posted by Katie

That's called Professional Development, and the rest of us do it on week-ends and nights after we get off of work... Summer Fall Winter and Spring...

itsbob

I bowl overhand
ANd don't get me wrong.. teachers DO great things.. but take for example the place I came from.. The teachers made three times the average of the local worker.. they lived in the best neighborhoods.. had the new cars.. the boats. yet they would strike every second or third year because someone in Pittsburgh or Baltimore made more money then they did.

Dymphna

Originally posted by SuperGrover
CHALLENGE FOR THOSE NAY SAYERS

Spend a whole week helping out in a classroom.

END OF CONVERSATION
I was a substitute teacher for a while, that was enough, TYVM.

K

Katie

Originally posted by itsbob
ANd don't get me wrong.. teachers DO great things.. but take for example the place I came from.. The teachers made three times the average of the local worker.. they lived in the best neighborhoods.. had the new cars.. the boats. yet they would strike every second or third year because someone in Pittsburgh or Baltimore made more money then they did.

I know for a fact that my mother doesn't make cr@p for money.