11 Month school year

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Originally posted by itsbob
ANd don't get me wrong.. teachers DO great things.. but take for example the place I came from.. The teachers made three times the average of the local worker.. they lived in the best neighborhoods.. had the new cars.. the boats. yet they would strike every second or third year because someone in Pittsburgh or Baltimore made more money then they did.

I can understand why the workers would be envious, but isn't that disparty because jobs that require college educations tend to pay more than jobs that don't?

SuperGrover

jack of all trades
Originally posted by itsbob
ANd don't get me wrong.. teachers DO great things.. but take for example the place I came from.. The teachers made three times the average of the local worker.. they lived in the best neighborhoods.. had the new cars.. the boats. yet they would strike every second or third year because someone in Pittsburgh or Baltimore made more money then they did.

That's probably because they are a dual income family. If only one worked as a teacher, a family of 3-4 would not be able to live in the best neighborhood.

Let's put this into prespective. I know of a teacher in FL who makes around $50K after 20+ years of teaching. I also know of an intern who graduated from a 2 year internship as an engineer who is making over $50K. I know it's comparing apples to oranges, but they are still both fruit (college graduates).

Last edited:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
That's why I picked the major I did.. it paid a lot better. I would love to teach, and when I retire from here I probably will, but $$$ talks.
Now, the university I went to was predominantly a teachers school (Clarion University in PA) and I became acquainted with several ED majors. They had life pretty good, and thought it AMAZING that 80 - 90% of them graduated with honors of some sort. While I was in the computer lab until 1 or 2 AM they were at the local Bars just enjoying life.
Can honestly say I think I am enjoying life more now. Course money isn't everything, and they probably have a great deal of job satisfaction, and I don't get to see the glowing face of an 8 year old when the "Light comes on", but I researched a lot before I picked my major, and am happy with my lot in life.
Freshman year there were over 300 Com Sci majors.. by the end of the first year half had switched to ED.. I graduated with 6 others, hard to do homework and stay in while all your ed major friends are heading downtown.

SuperGrover

jack of all trades
Sounds like the roles reverse once they get out of college. You have more time after work, and teachers have to bring work home almost everyday.

Granted teachers have the summers "off", but for many of them they don't really have it off. Quite a few teachers I know work during the summer, wether as summerschool teachers or other odd jobs (construction, fishing, etc.) to save up a nest egg.

I think you'll agree for teachers, pay is not commensurate with the level of expertise or education within their field as compared to many other careers.