$16,000 to Replace a Tesla Model 3 Battery Pack

Explain to me again how the general population would be able to afford this?

The battery alone, which is listed as "ASY,HVBAT,75KWH,AWD,KELVIN,1PH,M3,RMN(1 13737501-K)" on the invoice is $13,500--and the "RMN" stands for "remanufactured." It's a common practice in insurance repairs to push to use remanufactured parts where possible, so that's not surprising. The surprising part is the total for the rock strike, which is $16,550.67, $2,299.27 of which is labor alone. Shop rates vary depending on the location, but this Tesla service department charges roughly $175 an hour for labor, per Current Automotive. The entire job took just over 13 hours.

It Costs Nearly $16,000 to Replace a Tesla Model 3 Battery Pack (msn.com)

glhs837

Power with Control
Why would you? That's a real question - why would you want an EV?

Save money and time, reduce driving fatigue. Solid reasons, if you are shopping at that price point (Mid to high 40s), or even just a little below it, the lower total cost of ownership is a pretty good deal.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Save money and time, reduce driving fatigue. Solid reasons, if you are shopping at that price point (Mid to high 40s), or even just a little below it, the lower total cost of ownership is a pretty good deal.

Are we talking about EV, as in electric vehicles? How do you save money and time, and reduce driving fatigue?

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
Why would you? That's a real question - why would you want an EV?
Well, I will need a new car in the next year, and since we have solar, we could effectively charge the EV resulting in no "fuel" cost to drive it. A car payment would be near the same price as a typical gas-fueled vehicle. Granted, the battery replacement cost is a bit daunting, and something to seriously consider before purchase.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Granted, the battery replacement cost is a bit daunting, and something to seriously consider before purchase.
Bob is handy. He can replace each battery one piece at a time.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Well, I will need a new car in the next year, and since we have solar, we could effectively charge the EV resulting in no "fuel" cost to drive it. A car payment would be near the same price as a typical gas-fueled vehicle. Granted, the battery replacement cost is a bit daunting, and something to seriously consider before purchase.

If it were me, I'd lease one for a year and see how it goes. But good luck whatever you decide to do!

glhs837

Power with Control

So, if your warranty is good for 100k or eight years, thats a pretty good stretch. This person didnt pay 16K, their insurance did, same as if a rock punctured your oil pan and your motor ate itself.

EDIT: This says the owner covered the cost even so, but no mention of why. Seems odd.

Here's the source, note these lines......

It didn’t do that, though, so this damage was the type to be covered by insurance. When insurance gets involved, manufacturers need to provide detailed invoices for customers and insurance providers.

Like an internal combustion engine, electric vehicle batteries are designed and built to last the life of the car. Most gas-powered car owners will never need to replace an engine. And in the more than two decades of combined experience our team has been working with electric vehicles at Tesla and Current Automotive, this was the first time we’ve come across a Tesla battery replacement that required the owner to cover the costs out of pocket.

With the newer style batteries, Tesla is shooting for 500K lifespan. Older ones are looking to be good for up to 300K, while the body is designed for a 500K service life.

glhs837

Power with Control
Are we talking about EV, as in electric vehicles? How do you save money and time, and reduce driving fatigue?

10-20 as seconds a day unplugging in the morning and plugging back in versus any time you spend waiting at gas pumps. Time you spend waiting on oil changes, spark plug changes, engine air filter changes. Brake pad changes, since good EVs slow you down by reversing the polarity and using the motor to slow you down, recharging the battery on the side.

Tesla will handle a lot of your mundane highway driving. You still need to be involved, but like traffic aware cruise, it's a bit less stress. According to those who use it anyway.

glhs837

Power with Control

Guy driving has 130k on his 2018 Model 3. His buddy has over 200k on his 2015 Model S which is the older battery tech. This experience is by far the norm.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Time you spend waiting on oil changes, spark plug changes, engine air filter changes.

Wow, every second counts in your life, eh?

I'm not a VIP like that, so the 15 minutes every 5 or 6 months isn't crucial for me.

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member

I'm not a VIP like that, so the 15 minutes every 5 or 6 months isn't crucial for me.
You got a sermon started.

I’m gonna step out of this thread before the collection plate comes around.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
You got a sermon started.

I’m gonna step out of this thread before the collection plate comes around.

:lol:

A guy I know got an EV and touted it up one side and down the other, really made a thing out of it like the covid cultists do about masks and vax. Even after it became clear that his car was a major PITA and not the savior of the western world he was sold, he wouldn't admit it. Now it's parked in his garage and he drives his truck all the time. Everyone's like, "Why aren't you driving the EV?" and he makes up some excuse. :lol:

I think people should drive what they want and I'll drive what I want. :yay:

glhs837

Power with Control

Not at all. I don't do my own work to save time, I do it because I know it's done the right way. And when I do buy one, it won't be for those reasons. To some people, that stuff matters more.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed

A guy I know got an EV and touted it up one side and down the other, really made a thing out of it like the covid cultists do about masks and vax. Even after it became clear that his car was a major PITA and not the savior of the western world he was sold, he wouldn't admit it. Now it's parked in his garage and he drives his truck all the time. Everyone's like, "Why aren't you driving the EV?" and he makes up some excuse. :lol:

Do you know what EV he bought? I'd be interested in really doing some solid research before I -maybe- purchase one.

glhs837

Power with Control

Do you know what brand it was? Lots are not good choices, I'll say. And I'll always have a manual trans gas car around because I love driving it. So I get that.