$16,000 to Replace a Tesla Model 3 Battery Pack

glhs837

Power with Control
Chevy Bolt. He swears he love love loves it and it looks really hip sitting in his garage.

Yeah, that's one I don't recommend. :) Not awesome range, most of it made by someone else, and what isn't made by LG is made by GM, soooooo :) And now they're the subject of a massive recall for setting themselves on fire. Big enough that GM had to halt production because every battery that can make goes into an old car. That might be why he doesn't drive it. He might be afraid to charge it.

Clem72

Why would you? That's a real question - why would you want an EV?

Lots of reasons. But for me it wouldn't be the cheaper fuel, the fast acceleration, or the low maintenance. It would be the fact that I would never need to listen to another story about some bastard who ran out of gas halfway between his job at the orphanage and visiting his sick grandmother and somehow lost his wallet and just needs $7 to buy two gallons of gas.

glhs837

Power with Control
I'm a GM guy and even I wouldn't recommend a Volt to somebody, FWIW.

From what I read, the Volts pretty good. But being a hybrid, I don't really count it. And like the Bolt, it suffers from the fact that GM losses literally thousands on every one they sell. I've read that best guess on the Bolt is 7k-8k more to build than they sell them for. And that was before hundreds of million lost on the recall

glhs837

Power with Control
A Tesla doesn't use oil? That's news in itself. Musk has eliminated friction.

Not all, but do you change the oil in your alternator? Or your Diff, normally? That's really what you have here. The electric motor is greased, not oil filled. There is a diff. Tesla used to recommend that get oil change at years one, five, and nine, but they recently removed that. Me, I might do it every hundred or hundred and twenty thousand. But nothing like seven quarts of synthetic every 7-8k like the wife's Jeep takes. It's approaching 140k, so that's 20 oil changes at about 60 a pop as I do them myself. Just did the brake pads and rotors for the second time. That's about 400 bucks in parts each time. Spark plugs at 100k. I had that done for 200, transverse V6s adds cost. It adds up. Add in labor and the costs are a lot higher at 85 an hour.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Not all, but do you change the oil in your alternator? Or your Diff, normally? That's really what you have here. The electric motor is greased, not oil filled. There is a diff. Tesla used to recommend that get oil change at years one, five, and nine, but they recently removed that. Me, I might do it every hundred or hundred and twenty thousand. But nothing like seven quarts of synthetic every 7-8k like the wife's Jeep takes. It's approaching 140k, so that's 20 oil changes at about 60 a pop as I do them myself. Just did the brake pads and rotors for the second time. That's about 400 bucks in parts each time. Spark plugs at 100k. I had that done for 200, transverse V6s adds cost. It adds up. Add in labor and the costs are a lot higher at 85 an hour.

So anyway, @BadGirl , here's everything you ever wanted to know about EVs and more!

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
And for those that may be asking.... Diff means differential, not difference, the 'rear end' in a car with gears and lube fluid.

PeoplesElbow

10-20 as seconds a day unplugging in the morning and plugging back in versus any time you spend waiting at gas pumps. Time you spend waiting on oil changes, spark plug changes, engine air filter changes. Brake pad changes, since good EVs slow you down by reversing the polarity and using the motor to slow you down, recharging the battery on the side.

Tesla will handle a lot of your mundane highway driving. You still need to be involved, but like traffic aware cruise, it's a bit less stress. According to those who use it anyway.
The far more frequent tire changes make it all a wash.

PeoplesElbow

From what I read, the Volts pretty good. But being a hybrid, I don't really count it. And like the Bolt, it suffers from the fact that GM losses literally thousands on every one they sell. I've read that best guess on the Bolt is 7k-8k more to build than they sell them for. And that was before hundreds of million lost on the recall
I know someone with the little bitty one (spark?) He loves it, but calls it his gay little electric car.

glhs837

Power with Control
The far more frequent tire changes make it all a wash.

Not if you change to a better tire at the first change. But the folks running the numbers account for that and the TCO still comes out far ahead. I didn't mention the fuel savings, but that's real.

PeoplesElbow

Not if you change to a better tire at the first change. But the folks running the numbers account for that and the TCO still comes out far ahead. I didn't mention the fuel savings, but that's real.
I've always thought they over estimate the mainntainence costs for ICE vehicles. I've had one from new to 160k (11 years) and one from 8k to 90k (8 years) that I had to put very little maintainence cost into. Tires about every 50k, one set of brakes, and a trans drain and fill for each at 50k that really wasnt needed in either case.

PeoplesElbow

I don't know the Toyota system that well to compare. I know the Jeeps traffic aware cruise is nice. It will do a little lane keeping, but if it intervenes to keep you in lane twice, it kicks you out.

Like the Leaf, it has its niche.
The toyota is very similar to the Tesla in that you can sit a water bottle in the steering wheel and it will drive itself on the highway, set the cruise radar and it will go at the speed you set until it comes to a slower vehicle and will slow down. I turn off the lane assist but leave on the warning so if I drift out of my lane it beeps.