?????

J

jp2854

the doctor told me I am having bronchial asthma from when I had bronchitis 3 weeks ago. When I was in her office she gave me a nebulizer treatment and I felt shaky after it but once the shakyness went away i felt wonderful. She gave me an albuterol inhaler and I don't think its working as I am still coughing a lot. I am driving the other tenants crazy where I live with me coughing. One keeps asking me if i am taking my meds and I say yes. When I was in the doctors office she gave me a neb treatment with albuterol and she said it sounded like my breathing was better. I just dont get why she didn't have me do the neb treatments instead she gave me an inhaler and if i go up and down the stairs 2x at my apt i am out of breath. Also any change in air makes me cough. if i go outside and come in i start back up.

misshelper

They are both the same thing. One is liquid and one is in inhaler form. I've had asthma all my life and use albuterol and advair.

W

WildCherry

The nebulizer does work better than the inhaler. Call and ask if the doc can get you a machine of your own so you can do the treatments at home. I have one and when my inhaler just doesn't cut it I will use my nebulizer. I am wondering if you are allergic to something and that is why you are not getting any better. :shrug:

J

jp2854

wildcherry the doctor seems to think I now have asthma over top of everything as she said I am not getting enough air to my lungs and that is triggering the coughing. if I am still coughing in 2 weeks when my mom returns from her trip I am going to call the doctors office back and see if she can order me a nebulizer as that seemed to help and see what she says to that. I am so darn tired of coughing. I now live in a 1bedroom apt with 2 cats and a dog. The apt is big but i am wondering if the electric heat has something to do with it. The last few days i have had the teapot going while i been home for the steam to see if it helps any.

W

WildCherry

wildcherry the doctor seems to think I now have asthma over top of everything as she said I am not getting enough air to my lungs and that is triggering the coughing. if I am still coughing in 2 weeks when my mom returns from her trip I am going to call the doctors office back and see if she can order me a nebulizer as that seemed to help and see what she says to that. I am so darn tired of coughing. I now live in a 1bedroom apt with 2 cats and a dog. The apt is big but i am wondering if the electric heat has something to do with it. The last few days i have had the teapot going while i been home for the steam to see if it helps any.

Two weeks is a long time to wait, do you not have a phone? Asthma is very serious. You need to talk to your doctor sooner. The teapot is a good idea and try to take steamy showers to help, also caffiene helps a little so drink some hot coffee. Asthma can be life threatening so please be careful.

Last edited by a moderator:
J

jp2854

the doctor is the one who told me to wait 2 weeks wildcherry. She said i need to give this inhaler a fair try before going to another one. I am driving my neighbor downstairs nuts with me coughing and the dog barking when I leave her to do dump the trash or out with my mom or out without her. today I am going out with my dad and I bet I will get chewed out again as the dog will be barking while I am gone to lunch with my dad for about an hr and a half or so. The thing that sucks is I can only use my inhaler every 4hrs and I am coughing nonstop right now. Even if I did call teh doctor back on monday I wouldn't be able to pick up the new meds as I don't drive and there is nobody here to take me to get it.

W

WildCherry

the doctor is the one who told me to wait 2 weeks wildcherry. She said i need to give this inhaler a fair try before going to another one. I am driving my neighbor downstairs nuts with me coughing and the dog barking when I leave her to do dump the trash or out with my mom or out without her. today I am going out with my dad and I bet I will get chewed out again as the dog will be barking while I am gone to lunch with my dad for about an hr and a half or so. The thing that sucks is I can only use my inhaler every 4hrs and I am coughing nonstop right now. Even if I did call teh doctor back on monday I wouldn't be able to pick up the new meds as I don't drive and there is nobody here to take me to get it.

The medical company brought my nebulizer to me and showed me how to use it and the insurance pays for it. They will also give you the meds for it if you can't get them any other way. I am just concerned if you are coughing that much then there may be something else that needs to be done. :shrug:

J

jp2854

wildcherry. I got bruno here with me and every so often my mom wants me to take her out and run her around. Well that makes me cough. I don't know if bluecross will cover me having a nebulizer or not i guess we need to look into it. i feel like just trashing the inhaler as i don't feel as if its working for me but I will continue to use it. I have to say having this dog is a hard job as she wants a lot of attention and she wants to go out and run alot but I can't do it with the way I am feeling. I tried to get the guy who helps me on fridays to take her out and run her around some and he said no so I said why don't you just go home. I don't want him to get paid to sit and play video games or read a book. He is just lazy he doesn't even want to do the cleaning that needs to be done (my stepdad has him do it and when hes not there he rolls his eyes at me as if I am the lazy one as I save the jobs for him to do as he is getting paid to help me out). He doesn't know what I do monday-thursday as I am at the store everyday for a few hours each day and sat and sun and mon i am there for atleast 5hrs and in those hours I do cleaning etc and teh cleaning stuff makes me cough too but I have to clean or we will have bugs.

misshelper

The nebulizer does work better than the inhaler. Call and ask if the doc can get you a machine of your own so you can do the treatments at home. I have one and when my inhaler just doesn't cut it I will use my nebulizer. I am wondering if you are allergic to something and that is why you are not getting any better. :shrug:

I use my albuterol a lot less now since I've been on advair. I have a nebulizer but it's for my daugther.

J

jp2854

I wonder if you have pneumonia.... just a thought.
nanny pam

I went to the doctors on tuesday and she said wasn't pneumonia just bronchial asthma. I can tell you this though I am very tired of coughing. I spent the last hr coughing and coughing and coughing. I just used my inhaler again and if i am awake at 1230 I will use it again. Everyone said to me tonight I hope you can't get me sick because of your cough and the doctor told me I wasn't contagious or any of that.

misshelper

nanny pam

I went to the doctors on tuesday and she said wasn't pneumonia just bronchial asthma. I can tell you this though I am very tired of coughing. I spent the last hr coughing and coughing and coughing. I just used my inhaler again and if i am awake at 1230 I will use it again. Everyone said to me tonight I hope you can't get me sick because of your cough and the doctor told me I wasn't contagious or any of that.

How often are you using the inhaler?
Did you have a MRI to r/o pneumonia?

StrawberryGal

Sweet and Innocent
JP, I had pneumonia for 6 weeks. I was out of breaths alot, but that's because my lungs had pneumonia. You just need to rest, drink enough fluid, and eat healthy food such as oranges, apples, bananas, etc.

J

jp2854

How often are you using the inhaler?
Did you have a MRI to r/o pneumonia?

I use the inhaler every 4hrs. The doctor did a thorough check for pneumonia and she said I don't have it. She said its from when I had bronchitis 2 weeks ago and my neighbor downstairs smokes alot so it doesn't help me at all. she also complains that she can hear me coughing well maybe she needs to quit smoking in her apt that would help some. The doctor is thinking I also developed asthma so she gave me refils on this one inhaler she gave me now. I call back in 2 weeks and if not better she will give me another inhaler. I am going to ask for the nebulizer though as that seemed to help me better than this dinky inhaler is. She even said that i sounded a lot better when she gave me the neb treatment I don't get why she didn't just have me do that with the liquid abuterol I am no doctor though and she knows best.

misshelper

I use the inhaler every 4hrs. The doctor did a thorough check for pneumonia and she said I don't have it. She said its from when I had bronchitis 2 weeks ago and my neighbor downstairs smokes alot so it doesn't help me at all. she also complains that she can hear me coughing well maybe she needs to quit smoking in her apt that would help some. The doctor is thinking I also developed asthma so she gave me refils on this one inhaler she gave me now. I call back in 2 weeks and if not better she will give me another inhaler. I am going to ask for the nebulizer though as that seemed to help me better than this dinky inhaler is. She even said that i sounded a lot better when she gave me the neb treatment I don't get why she didn't just have me do that with the liquid abuterol I am no doctor though and she knows best.

I have asthma and do not have a nebulizer. My asthma is controlled with albuterol and advair. If I don't have the advair my asthma kicks my ass. I have had neb treatments before, but I guess my dr didn't think I needed a neb machine and your dr probably feels you do not need one. JMO

My daughter has one and at one time used it 4x's a day. That sucked.