1971 Mustang Boss 302 Prototype

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
or Boss 429 look like

Kinnakeet

That must explain why Ford dominated the various racing venues back in the day ...with Chevy always a distant second. Shelbys...GT40s...Cosworth Indy cars..and on and on. ;-) What does the Chevy equivalent of a a Ford 427 SOHC or Boss 429 look like? Oh...right..they never built anything like that.
Say what L88,ZL1, LS6 chevy didnt need a bunch of different motors like ford or the mopars they just used the same small blocks and big blocks and changed internals ever notice what is powering most drag cars!No one ever said I want to go fast so Im going to build a ford they just build a chevy motor dont get me wrong I love them all but for the money and the power it is chevy all the way. Im sorry but my friends that drag race some have fox body mustangs but the engine of choice you guessed it chevy if you dont believe me just go on down to MIR 1 evening and look for yourself

Kinnakeet

Huge intake ports that was fords way of making power great breathing heads moderate compression mild cam
Chevy used the 63 fuel injection vette heads(2.02 int/1.60 exh) on there high horsepower small block motor with high compression(11.01) and a large camshaft above 480 lift and 300 duration.big block high compression/big cam some were all aluminum blocks/heads some just aluminum heads but compression and cam in my opinion are the way to go and a good set of flowing heads will also go a long ways

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Say what L88,ZL1, LS6 chevy didnt need a bunch of different motors like ford or the mopars they just used the same small blocks and big blocks and changed internals ever notice what is powering most drag cars!No one ever said I want to go fast so Im going to build a ford they just build a chevy motor dont get me wrong I love them all but for the money and the power it is chevy all the way. Im sorry but my friends that drag race some have fox body mustangs but the engine of choice you guessed it chevy if you dont believe me just go on down to MIR 1 evening and look for yourself
I've been building performance engines and racing cars and offroad vehicles since the mid 70s. ;-) I might even had been to MIR a few times..

Here's the most recent build...first saw action at Greer Raceway in South Carolina. Ford FE engine, of course.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Had a set of those...the tunnel port approach to intake design was found to be lacking and quickly abandoned (they tried it with the 302 as well as the 427s). That makes those piece rare and expensive for the "cool" factor...

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

LOL...Yeah..Chevy got thoroughly spanked by the Shelbys for years.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
It's also interesting to see the list of past winners of the annual Engine Masters competition..and how many Ford engines won the vintage category over the years.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Not that I dislike Chevy engines...built some nice ones. The one in my '57 would be worth a small fortune now. All original '67 327-365HP pulled from a vette when new. Pan to carb...all came with it. That was one sweet running motor.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Now you are in dream land the shelby mustangs were not that fast they were all show and a little go I can see you are a ford person and cannot except the facts
The Mustangs were OK and some raced well..but I was referring to the AC Cobras.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I can see you are a ford person and cannot except the facts
..or someone who has built performance engines of all shapes and sizes for over 40 years, some of those years while working as an automotive machinist, and still maintaining a machine shop of my own to this very day. ;-)