1998 C2500 4L80e Transmission Has 3rd Gear and Reverse Only

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
What was the outcome with the truck?
It's on the back burner for right now. It's only requirement was to last until I got my Trail Blazer back on the road, and it failed. The new ECM will have to wait. I have $600 worth of parts sitting, waiting to be installed on the TB.

Last edited:

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
So this thread turned into a cliffhanger, eh?
Yeah, I think I'll get to the truck towards the end of October. Money is tight because I had just dropped around $600 on parts for my Trail Blazer. I can't keep a steering rack in it. I just installed #3 this afternoon. One more day and it should be road ready, again. This time, instead of flushing the old rusted lines, I installed all new stuff. Another rebuilt rack (warranty) and p/s pump, cooler, and all lines. Third times a charm!

Any advice on power steering fluid? Dextron ATF is supposed to work, but it's an all new system and I'd like to keep it healthy. Any difference besides price? Synthetic?

Here's a picture -

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Won't the color of the Dextron clash?
It does and it's a hideous site to behold.
That cow catcher would be perfect for obstructionist pedestrians.
The thought did cross my mind, but it was originally installed for deer. The 7D is full of them and they refuse to use the crosswalks.

All new power steering all buttoned up. Reconnected the battery after reinstalling the batt box and fuse box that had to be unbolted and suspended, to get new lines routed. Installed an aux trans cooler so the lines can run where I want them to and not where GM decided they fit. :burning:

Test firing revealed rotted transmission cooler lines by the fluid coming from under the heat wrap GM thought was a good idea. "Let's put something that acts like a sponge right here and wrap it with foil to hold it in place." "Uh, okay." That is on the agenda tomorrow morning. It doesn't look like a pleasant morning, but that should get me back into travel mode. While I'm having so much fun with my new found hobby, I'm going over all the brake and fuel lines to check their condition as well. :yay:

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
New trans cooler lines installed and tested everything for leaks. None discovered. Other hard lines are rusting, but not nearly as bad as the ones I just replaced. I'll coat the rust with Ospho and address those after it proves itself road worthy. Now it needs to be reassembled and washed. That will have to wait until this weekend. :happydance:

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Didn't know Ospho was still available..I have an old (30 years) gallon jug somewhere.
Ace in Charlotte Hall carries it. I was going to shell out $$ for some Por-15 and my coworker pointed this out. I've never tried it, but I bought a quart while I still received my employee discount. My coworker has used it with good results. I figured a coat of that should stop the progress, to buy a little time.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Finally back together, mostly. Three test drives down the road and back, checked/adjusted fluids, no leaks at this stage. Son is going to align the front end as soon as I get it insured/registered. I'd forgotten how squirrelly those BFG Mud Terrain tires can be. In hindsight, I should've stuck with BFG All Terrain tire.

I used dish soap to wash it, but 2 years of storage had all kinds of nature growing on it. Does anyone have a suggestion besides elbow grease? I should've left the moss for camo. :biggrin:

limblips

Finally back together, mostly. Three test drives down the road and back, checked/adjusted fluids, no leaks at this stage. Son is going to align the front end as soon as I get it insured/registered. I'd forgotten how squirrelly those BFG Mud Terrain tires can be. In hindsight, I should've stuck with BFG All Terrain tire.

I used dish soap to wash it, but 2 years of storage had all kinds of nature growing on it. Does anyone have a suggestion besides elbow grease? I should've left the moss for camo. :biggrin:
Wet it and Forget It. Lowes has it.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Good Job.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Damn, I guess this story is over. :(
We shall see tomorrow. I went to register on Tuesday, but the tag and title place couldn't submit my forms because their SW asks for an inspection ticket, and they can't over ride it. I received tags today, and put them on after work. Driving her in to work tomorrow. :yay:

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
The saga continues. I ordered a replacement ECU for my pickup yesterday and expect delivery within a week. I ran across an article written in broken English on the ECU reset procedure and will test on the old one after work today. I have nothing to lose at this point. If I wipe it and it won't reprogram, it can sit for a week.

The TrailBlazer is still running strong. :yay:

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
The final chapter comes to a close. The refurbished ECM from Flagship One was installed after work yesterday, and after the tedious process of disarming the PassKEY system, the truck roared to life. After letting it warm up for 2-3 minutes. I shut it down and checked the ECM for codes with none found! Drove from Boomerangs down to Weis and back going through all the shift points, shut it down, rechecked codes, and again none found. I declare my truck is fit for service again. Once again, I proved to myself that if I had purchased the most expensive part first, I would've saved myself a lot of work and heartache. Today I have to hitch a ride over the bridge and retrieve my work horse. Life is good...