2-cycle marine engines

dia look

I am looking for any information on the banning of 2-cycle marine engines from boats used in the US. I know that they are stopping the manufacture of new engines in the near future, but is there any provision to prevent the use of existing engines?

The ban has already taken place at many lakes out west.

No compensation to the owners either.

What about the clean running 2 cycles? I have heard, but have no first hand knowledge, that the johnrude I-Tek, or whatever they are called, 2 cycles are as clean as the 4 strokes, but weigh a lot less.

The ban has already taken place at many lakes out west.

No compensation to the owners either.

What about the clean running 2 cycles? I have heard, but have no first hand knowledge, that the johnrude I-Tek, or whatever they are called, 2 cycles are as clean as the 4 strokes, but weigh a lot less.

I can see the ban in lakes, limited eco system. Not so sure they would do it on open water. They'd probably be grandfathered like all the vintage/historical cars still on the streets today with little or no emission systems at all.

kdknitro

"banning the use of two strokes"

They are banning the production not the use of these motors, i work on boats and am a certified mechanic. I think they are still going to make them to tell u the truth but they wont be your traditional 2 stroke. I bet you didnt know that they are putting catalitic converters on imboard boats already did you?