2 hurt when horse-drawn buggy, motorcycles crash

slotpuppy

Ass-hole
Exactly. I live quite a ways off of Route 5 and I hear motorcycles going up and down the road on a daily basis. I'd also like to point out (again) that there were 2 motorcycles, double the noise. I'm sorry, but I find it VERY hard to believe that she did not hear them. But, maybe she has hearing issues. It is legal for a deaf person to drive. I just do not thing that she looked long enough before attempting to cross the road.

Maybe she had her Ipod on and couldnt hear cause of the beats by dr dre.

Exactly. I live quite a ways off of Route 5 and I hear motorcycles going up and down the road on a daily basis. I'd also like to point out (again) that there were 2 motorcycles, double the noise. I'm sorry, but I find it VERY hard to believe that she did not hear them. But, maybe she has hearing issues. It is legal for a deaf person to drive. I just do not think that she looked long enough before attempting to cross the road.

I live roughly a mile from the Calvert Side of the TJ bridge in St Marys to the SSW. I can hear bikes as they cross the bridge and continue on South on rte. 4 past my house about 1000 feet.

sockgirl77

I live roughly a mile from the Calvert Side of the TJ bridge in St Marys to the SSW. I can hear bikes as they cross the bridge and continue on South on rte. 4 past my house about 1000 feet.

But, but, but...the tailpipes are faced the other directions. You surely cannot hear them...

officeguy

Go stand out by the road for a while and then come back and tell me you can't hear one coming.

I dont stand by the road, I am in a car.

Also, in a buggy with the hoofclaps and iron rims grinding on asphalt, I wouldn't expect to hear a motorcycle operated at low power.

I dont stand by the road, I am in a car.

Also, in a buggy with the hoofclaps and iron rims grinding on asphalt, I wouldn't expect to hear a motorcycle operated at low power.

True in a car in traffic, windows rolled up, music likely playing you won't hear them until they are pretty close. Leave the low power thing out of the equation. If you are on 235 all you do is stop and go. In their situation, no idea what they were doing.

sockgirl77

True in a car in traffic, windows rolled up, music likely playing you won't hear them until they are pretty close. Leave the low power thing out of the equation. If you are on 235 all you do is stop and go. In their situation, no idea what they were doing.

You need this so nobody ever misses you. :yay:

Attachments

• 4887133543_b84cacea5b_z.jpg
    4887133543_b84cacea5b_z.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 73

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Yes, but looks like they were behind the buggy when it tried to make a left turn. Could have been blinded by the sun, but it's still the buggy operator's fault if he didn't indicate he was going to make that left turn.

It was a woman.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Reading the articles posted lead me to believe the buggy driver was responsible.

Turning left across two lanes of traffic from the shoulder, horse or not, still puts the burden on the woman driving the buggy to make sure there is no oncoming traffic either direction. Sun, lighting, doesn't matter, the person making the turn is responsible for making a safe turn.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Reading the articles posted lead me to believe the buggy driver was responsible.

Turning left across two lanes of traffic from the shoulder, horse or not, still puts the burden on the woman driving the buggy to make sure there is no oncoming traffic either direction. Sun, lighting, doesn't matter, the person making the turn is responsible for making a safe turn.

Speaking life and death, not legally, the burden is on the motorcycle rider. All of it. Period. They missed something, the buggy's 'body language', maybe the sun, somehow, someway, they didn't detect her as a potential threat and you HAVE to in order to ride safely. Maybe they were going a bit too fast? Maybe they weren't paying full attention? Maybe their time was up? Whatever the case may be, riders CAN'T afford much in the way of mistakes by anyone.

:buddies:

Speaking life and death, not legally, the burden is on the motorcycle rider. All of it. Period. They missed something, the buggy's 'body language', maybe the sun, somehow, someway, they didn't detect her as a potential threat and you HAVE to in order to ride safely. Maybe they were going a bit too fast? Maybe they weren't paying full attention? Maybe their time was up? Whatever the case may be, riders CAN'T afford much in the way of mistakes by anyone.

True. Hard to detect a left turning horse you can't even see pulling a buggy with no turn signals. Time to slow down and maybe give a toot on the horn before passing. If you hit a horse fast enough to get thrown as far as he must have I'd say he was moving.

b23hqb

PREMO Member

Yeah, maybe some or all of those things occurred, but unless the rules are different for horse/buggy than motorized vehicles, I don't know. A vehicle is a vehicle, right? It is still the responsibility of anyone pulling into traffic to ensure it is safe not only for them, but for anyone else using the roadway then and there, and that includes looking out for others that may or may not be following the speed limit.

This will probably come out negligence on the part of all three parties.