2024 - DeSantis

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

DeSantis Vows to Fire FBI Director on Day One of Presidency: ‘They’ve Been Weaponized’

“No I would not keep Chris Wray as director of the FBI. There’d be a new one on Day One. I think that’s very important,” DeSantis responded when asked if FBI Director Wray would keep his job in a DeSantis administration.

“I think the DOJ and FBI have lost their way. I think that they’ve been weaponized against Americans who think like me and you, and I think they’ve become very partisan. Part of the reason that’s happened, Trey, is because Republican presidents have accepted the canard that the DOJ and FBI are independent,” said DeSantis. “They are not independent agencies. They are part of the executive branch. They answer to the elected president of the United States.”

DeSantis promised to hold the agencies accountable if elected, “clearing out people who are not doing the job and making sure they’re doing the people’s business and they’re not abusing their authority.”

“For example if the FBI or DOJ were to ever collude with a tech company to try to censor information, everybody involved with that would be fired immediately if I was president,” DeSantis said in an apparent reference to Facebook’s restricting the story about Hunter Biden’s laptop based on a tip from the FBI. “When there’s no accountability, the bad behavior’s going to continue.”

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
But from what I can gather, DeSantis demanded so much attention that he broke Twitter for about 20 minutes before he and Elon Musk were able to continue their Twitter Spaces conversation. I’m being assured that means the Florida man’s launch was a total disaster, effectively ending his campaign before it starts. Joe Biden even had his handlers fire off a silly tweet about his donation link working. Of course, he won’t have over 760,000 trying to click on it at once, so perhaps that’s not such a good comparison by the president.

Do you want to know what I think, though? I think that’s all cope.

DeSantis lit the political world on fire tonight, finishing his conversation with Musk only to secure what seemed an awful lot like a quasi-endorsement from conservative hall-of-famer Mark Levin. He then went over to Fox News where he shared his vision for the nation and what his top-three priorities would be.

In short, how can a launch be a disaster if the entire political world is talking about it? If the goal was to garner attention, and that’s always the goal of a campaign launch, then it was mission accomplished and then some. Remember Donald Trump’s old axiom that there’s no such thing as bad press? That applies here. DeSantis is the man of the hour in a way that never would have been accomplished by yet another boring, cookie-cutter rally launch (sorry Tim Scott, but it’s true).

SamSpade

I hate those commercials that highlight his vote for the Fair Tax - a plan that eliminates the income tax with a national sales tax of around 23% -

And no mention of the prebate that goes with it.

The premise of the Fair Tax is that it replaces all federal taxes, including FICA. I personally like it. I hate the mess of tax laws which - once you have more than a simple income and a household, REQUIRES a whole industry to keep it all working - and any tax accountant or firm may come up with a DIFFERENT amount owed or received. That's nuts.

No, they make it sound like he's just going to tax the ever living hell out of people, when in all likelihood, you'll pay less or the same.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Mexican president ramps up anti-Republican rhetoric, urges Hispanics not to give DeSantis 'any votes'

Lopez Obrador accused DeSantis of pushing "anti-immigrant" policies and urged Hispanics not to vote for him.

"I hope the Hispanics of Florida wake up and don't give him any votes, that they don't vote for those who persecute migrants, those who don't respect migrants," he said, according to The Guardian.

The remarks are the latest instance of meddling in U.S. elections by the unpredictable Mexican premier, who has fumed at Republican criticism of his handling of immigration and the flow of fentanyl into the U.S.

In March, he threatened to launch an "information campaign" against Republicans, telling Hispanics not to vote for them, after lawmakers suggested potential military action to take out the drug cartels pumping out fentanyl and sending it to the U.S.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
From The Lincoln Project (sorry):

Congratulations on entering the 2024 Presidential primary process. Running for President is a life-altering event that will challenge your mental and physical abilities to the utmost.
But first, let’s cut to the chase: you’re going to get absolutely destroyed. Your awkwardness, disdain for people, and general disgust with the process, won’t help while you’re shaking countless hands in distant diners or standing in the middle of a fair posing for pictures with a butter cow.
You think you are owed a win, but you’ve never been attacked like Trump will wreck you. Your height, your recent and sudden weight loss, your terrible political judgment, the bad advice from domineering advisors, will all be fair game to Trump. He’s going to go through you like fingers through pudding. You’re too weak and afraid of Trump and his MAGA cult members to fight him to win.

Talk about reverse psychology. Nobody wants Trump to win the nomination more than these guys … without Trump, they’re just an annoying bunch of failed Republicans who never really won anything so they gave up and just became the ‘opposition’.

Reactions: BOP

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Richard Luscombe reports from the terrorist state of Florida:

Minority groups and others in Florida trampled by Ron DeSantis during his march to a White House run are warning of democracy in peril at a national level.
The rightwing Republican governor’s announcement on Wednesday that he was seeking his party’s 2024 presidential nomination provoked anger and a renewed promise of resistance from transgender rights advocates, immigrant organizations, and civil and voting rights groups in Florida, who have borne the brunt of his extremist policies and legislation.
One prominent Democratic state congresswoman called Florida “the canary in the coalmine” for the wider US as DeSantis prepares to hawk his hard-right brand on the national stage.

“His hard-right brand.” No, it’s not an opinion piece. This is just Luscombe getting a quote from every aggrieved activist group that exists to play the victim card. The NAACP, right.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Donald Trump’s America First -vs- Ron DeSantis and the Multinationals​

As the geography narrows before us, it is important to remember the stakes and avoid the distractions. As a consequence, the baseline must be reaffirmed. It is critical to understand that both the DNC and RNC are private corporations with no affiliation to government.
It is a difficult shift in thinking, but the party system in U.S. politics revolves around two distinct private corporations – two clubs that feed from the same corporate trough and position for influence and affluence within a political dynamic they control.
The priority for both clubs, Republican and Democrat, is NOT politically or culturally ideological. In the modern era, the corporate priority first begins with a battle over who controls each corporation.
https://theconservativetreehouse.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/03/Trump-DeSantis-head-to-head.jpg

Reactions: BOP

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Rolling Stone Picked the Weirdest Fight to Have With Ron DeSantis

The liberal media hurls everything at Trump and Ron DeSantis. The latest salvo is bizarre in that almost everyone would agree this convention is weird, and if any sexual antics are present, children shouldn’t be around. The Rolling Stone is offended that a new Florida law would prohibit minors from attending ‘furry’ conventions, where attendees of this sub-culture who dress as anthroponomic figures congregate. Say what you will about comic book conventions; I find those more tolerable. Comic-Con is a mainstream event, which also branches off into other pop culture and entertainment areas, whereas furry conventions aren’t remotely close. And kids should be permitted to enter a gathering where sexual activities could happen. Also, I doubt this will be an election-killing issue for Ron DeSantis. Please prohibit kids from these aberrant assemblies.

Our friends at RedState dissected the non-troversy, in which there is no ambiguity as to who the target is:

You have to love that game is given away immediately. As the article notes, SB 1438 is not ambiguous about what qualifies as an “adult performance.” It is a “presentation that depicts or simulates nudity, sexual conduct, or specific sexual activities.” That’s in the statute. So what exactly is the problem? Is it really so difficult for this furry convention to avoid sex stuff so that they don’t have to ban kids?
The answer is yes, it really is that difficult for them. Rolling Stone glosses over that uncomfortable reality by pretending that simple misconceptions could lead to violating the law in question. When was the last time you just accidentally exposed yourself to a kid? Or performed sexually in front of one without realizing you were doing so? Those are not things that happen.
Sure enough, Rolling Stone goes on to pretty much admit the problem: That furry conventions are inherently filled with sexualized content. To excuse that, the writer claims that conventions “typically” save that stuff for later in the evening and that adult vendors are cordoned off. But are they really? I’d suspect not given this convention felt the need to ban kids. If there weren’t going to be sexual displays and the event was truly family-friendly, why do so?

Here’s some of Rolling Stone’s piece about minors being deprived of entry into furry world:

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

NH Governor Sununu Blasts Trump For Touting Cuomo’s COVID Response Over DeSantis: ‘It’s Bulls***!’

Trump “is really sticking with this line that New York and Andrew Cuomo handled COVID better than Florida and DeSantis,” Benson said. “He’s doubling and tripling down on that. DeSantis now firing back. Andrew Cuomo coming in and praising Trump, saying, ‘He’s right, New York was better. This blue state lockdown model was better and more responsible.’

“I know you’re not in either of those camps, but there are some broader sort of policy issues at play in that dispute,” Benson added, asking Sununu, “What do you make of it?”

“It’s bull****!” Sununu responded. “That alone should tell you what you’re getting with Donald Trump. Donald Trump is siding with, of all people, Andrew Cuomo for this bizarre political attempt to, you know, discredit Governor DeSantis.”

Sununu said voters needed to take a step back and ask themselves, “What are we doing?” when evaluating Trump’s actions.

“That’s the guy leading the Republican ticket, the guy who’s praising Andrew Cuomo after completely throwing him under the bus?” Sununu said. “I think New York handled the COVID pandemic terribly, horribly. And that’s not just an outside opinion. That’s as a fellow governor that was on the phone with Cuomo and every other governor and the president and vice president almost every day for a while.”