2024 - DeSantis

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
But maybe there’s something else going on here. If enthusiasm for DeSantis seems lacking, maybe it has little or nothing to do with DeSantis or his campaign. Perhaps what we’re seeing is less about him and still less about 2024 or the upcoming GOP primary scrum, and more about what happened in 2020. Put bluntly, maybe what we’re seeing now is an early sign that what Democrats, Big Tech, and corporate media did in 2020 was inject poison into our political system, and the 2024 election cycle is going to show us just how deadly that poison is.

But maybe there’s something else going on here. If enthusiasm for DeSantis seems lacking, maybe it has little or nothing to do with DeSantis or his campaign. Perhaps what we’re seeing is less about him and still less about 2024 or the upcoming GOP primary scrum, and more about what happened in 2020. Put bluntly, maybe what we’re seeing now is an early sign that what Democrats, Big Tech, and corporate media did in 2020 was inject poison into our political system, and the 2024 election cycle is going to show us just how deadly that poison is.

Recall that 2020 was unlike any election in American history. One need not declare that it was “stolen” to admit that it was obviously rigged. After all, the people and institutions that rigged it have freely admitted what they did. They suppressed the Hunter Biden laptop story, censored what Americans could say on social media, introduced unprecedented changes to our voting system under the pretext of pandemic precautions, and poured hundreds of millions of dollars into putatively nonpartisan local election offices through Mark Zuckerberg-connected nonprofits for the sole purpose of turning out Democrat voters in swing states.

Nothing like that has ever happened in American history. And it was all done for the singular purpose of ensuring that Trump would not serve a second term. What’s more, all of that came after four years of the permanent regime in Washington discarding every political norm, bending every rule, and breaking more than a few laws in a failed effort to oust Trump from office during his first term.

Now, maybe you think that’s all nonsense, or just water under the bridge. What’s done is done, we can’t go back, and even if the 2020 election wasn’t on the level we all just need to move on and go about the 2024 primary season like it’s business as usual. There’ll be debates and a deluge of political ads and campaign shenanigans. There’ll be a chaotic, rambunctious primary full of zingers and debate moderator tomfoolery, and at the end of it Republicans will have their nominee and we can all get on with the general election.

Sorry, but that’s not going to happen. It won’t happen because Trump supporters are understandably not willing to forget 2020 and just trundle along through 2024 like none of it happened. Plenty of them will always believe, not without reason, that 2020 was stolen outright. Many millions more believe, with even more reason, that it was rigged unfairly against Trump and that the same forces are at work now to rig it against whomever the GOP nominee turns out to be.

Hijinx

I sure like Kennedy, but the other day he stated he was all for supplying Ukraine with our weapons and money.
I sure didn't like that.

Clem72

I sure like Kennedy, but the other day he stated he was all for supplying Ukraine with our weapons and money.
I sure didn't like that.
I'm not fond of that idea either and didn't see this interview. Did he explain why? If the argument is that Ukraine is full of puppies and unicorns and that they need to be protected at all costs against any aggressor, then I would say he is simple minded or lying (and we know he isn't simple minded).

If instead he argued that supplying Ukraine with advanced US made weapons systems ties them to us (supply chains, training, ammunition, etc.) while giving our traditional "foe" a black eye, then I might be more accepting though still not happy with it. Remember, this guy is a Dem even if he isn't a flaming liberal.

I like the idea of a combined ticket because unlike congress, where you can guarantee that anything the Ds and Rs are both heavily in favor for is guaranteed to be bad for for the general public, I suspect if these two can agree it's probably common sense and more than likely to be good. RFK may also keep the Ds from frothing at the mouth at everything the white house supports, but that may be a bridge too far.

Hijinx

I'm not fond of that idea either and didn't see this interview. Did he explain why? If the argument is that Ukraine is full of puppies and unicorns and that they need to be protected at all costs against any aggressor, then I would say he is simple minded or lying (and we know he isn't simple minded).

If instead he argued that supplying Ukraine with advanced US made weapons systems ties them to us (supply chains, training, ammunition, etc.) while giving our traditional "foe" a black eye, then I might be more accepting though still not happy with it. Remember, this guy is a Dem even if he isn't a flaming liberal.

I like the idea of a combined ticket because unlike congress, where you can guarantee that anything the Ds and Rs are both heavily in favor for is guaranteed to be bad for for the general public, I suspect if these two can agree it's probably common sense and more than likely to be good. RFK may also keep the Ds from frothing at the mouth at everything the white house supports, but that may be a bridge too far.
I believe we are speaking of separate Kennedy's I am fond of Senator Kennedy the Republican.

Clem72

I believe we are speaking of separate Kennedy's I am fond of Senator Kennedy the Republican.
Yup. I was talking about RFK Jr. I don't know much about the other Kennedy other than he asks some good questions at hearings.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Confidential DeSantis campaign memo looks to reassure donors amid stumbles

A confidential campaign memo obtained by NBC News lays out what the Florida governor’s presidential campaign sees as its path forward: focusing on the early states, refusing to give up on New Hampshire, not yet investing in Super Tuesday battlegrounds, zeroing in on DeSantis’ biography and sowing doubts about his competitors — particularly Sen. Tim Scott, R-S.C.

“While Super Tuesday is critically important, we will not dedicate resources to Super Tuesday that slow our momentum in New Hampshire,” the memo states. “We expect to revisit this investment in the Fall.”

The document, dated July 6, is labeled a “confidential friends and family update” and makes it clear that it’s “not for distribution.” Its details about the campaign’s strategy are far more in-depth than what has been shared publicly.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
As Rupert Murdoch begins retreating from the failing Ron DeSantis his team is struggling and destabilized. The Fox News panel spends entire segments dedicated to group coping and counseling without a clear direction on what is going to happen next. {Direct Rumble Link}

The transparency of their struggle and visible anxiety is quite humorous, and while it is not my intention to deliver any credibility to their organizational mission, it is genuinely funny to watch them trying to cope. They are completely flummoxed on what to do next, devoid of direction, feeling abandoned and confused as the quaking footprints of Godzilla Trump can be heard in the background crushing all the buildings and closing in. Furrowed brow Brian Kilmeade is particularly destabilized.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Ron DeSantis Delivers Strong Performance in Tucker Carlson Interview, Throws Shade at Newsom

Tucker then asked the Florida governor about the red tide problem the state is experiencing, and DeSantis described efforts to mitigate the algae and also pointed out that it was a natural phenomenon. But then he talked about the radical environmental policies of the left:

Them forcing you [to buy] an electrical vehicle is not going to change the climate when China is building a new coal plant every week. I mean, so just give me the break. This is trying to control your behavior. It’s social engineering and it’s not something that’s going to work…
But we’ve done very well on environment, not because I’m doing kooky liberal things, but because I’m focusing on things that actually impact the daily lives of Floridians.

When Tucker brought up the fact that people are moving to Florida in large numbers, DeSantis said it was simply because they saw how well things were going in the Sunshine State. He also noted that folks are getting tired of the woke nonsense:

We’re up against a movement that is parroting woke ideology. That their message to the American people is that men can get pregnant, really, that you should swim on the men’s swim team for three years, switch to the women’s team and you can be the women’s national champion.
Most people don’t buy that, and so I think we have an opportunity to really capture a lot of voters by representing a platform of common sense and sanity and traditional American values. [Applause.]

Last edited:

SamSpade

I sure didn't like that.
FWIW - I'm all in favor of doing whatever we can to defeat Russia in Ukraine. If they lose there - China will stop rattling its sabers over Taiwan. China will still be a threat - but they'll be next on our list, and they'll think twice.

Secondly - Russia never stops with anything. First, they wanted Crimea, claiming it should never have been part of an independent Ukraine. Then they wanted the Donbas - which, to Ukraine, would be like taking the entire Boston to DC corridor - it is the most vital metropolitan area in their nation. THEN they decided, nope, Ukraine isn't a REAL COUNTRY anyway (from Putin's mouth) so they intend to take it all.

And probably Moldova. They have said that, too. And probably ACTUALLY take Belarus for good measure. They have of course, already taken parts of Georgia.

We can't allow Russia to just bomb and slaughter them, because no one will stop them. This is how the Nazis began.

I realize that there's been waste in resources. That will always happen, but the reason they've survived this long is with help from the west, whether it's anti-tank missiles, surface to air or anti-missile tech, drones, and so on. The conservative blogosphere is making it sound like it is crushing our budget. It's not.

Russia has utterly destroyed parts of Ukraine - miles of rubble in every direction, for cities like Mariopol and Bakhmut. It will not stop. They've taken women and children from Ukraine and brought them INTO Russia for - whatever reason, but I think you can guess. This is a crime and we can't just let it happen.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
IMG_4035.png

22AcaciaAve

FWIW - I'm all in favor of doing whatever we can to defeat Russia in Ukraine. If they lose there - China will stop rattling its sabers over Taiwan. China will still be a threat - but they'll be next on our list, and they'll think twice.

Secondly - Russia never stops with anything. First, they wanted Crimea, claiming it should never have been part of an independent Ukraine. Then they wanted the Donbas - which, to Ukraine, would be like taking the entire Boston to DC corridor - it is the most vital metropolitan area in their nation. THEN they decided, nope, Ukraine isn't a REAL COUNTRY anyway (from Putin's mouth) so they intend to take it all.

And probably Moldova. They have said that, too. And probably ACTUALLY take Belarus for good measure. They have of course, already taken parts of Georgia.

We can't allow Russia to just bomb and slaughter them, because no one will stop them. This is how the Nazis began.

I realize that there's been waste in resources. That will always happen, but the reason they've survived this long is with help from the west, whether it's anti-tank missiles, surface to air or anti-missile tech, drones, and so on. The conservative blogosphere is making it sound like it is crushing our budget. It's not.

Russia has utterly destroyed parts of Ukraine - miles of rubble in every direction, for cities like Mariopol and Bakhmut. It will not stop. They've taken women and children from Ukraine and brought them INTO Russia for - whatever reason, but I think you can guess. This is a crime and we can't just let it happen.

I 100% agree these statements. I really don't understand pushback from anyone, republican or democrat. I'm with Ronald Reagan on this......never trust the Russians. Anything we can do to degrade them militarily is money well spent in my opinion. I'm not saying I want it to be a blank check that just keeps pouring taxpayer money into the Ukraine, but I'm good with working with all NATO nations to supply them with weapons to help their fight.

The Russians are not to be trusted. This may be the only area that I agree with Biden on. I don't necessarily want Putin gone, just severely weakened. Some of the guys who might replace him are worse than him. As long as we aren't putting our troops over there, but still being a thorn in his side I'm good with keeping it up. We can implode him from within. Reagan did it by forcing an arms race that the Russians just couldn't keep up with. The combinations of economic sanctions and degrading his military without economic ways of increasing it continues to put pressure on Putin.

Republican nominees like Trump and DeSantis want to pull the plug on Ukraine help. That's a mistake. I don't want Biden back, his domestic economic policy is a disaster, but the republican front runners thoughts so far on Ukraine are not a policy that will be helpful in the long run to the United States. That needs to change. Biden's boss allowed Russia to go unchallenged into Georgia. A horrible mistake that republicans rightly called out at the time. I would hope their current leaders are not so obtuse that they really believe allowing Russia to go unchallenged and unpunished for their actions in the Ukraine is the right way to go. I won't ever vote for Biden, but I won't support any republican nominee that makes pulling all types of support for Ukraine their agenda.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
I 100% agree these statements. I really don't understand pushback from anyone, republican or democrat. I'm with Ronald Reagan on this......never trust the Russians. Anything we can do to degrade them militarily is money well spent in my opinion. I'm not saying I want it to be a blank check that just keeps pouring taxpayer money into the Ukraine, but I'm good with working with all NATO nations to supply them with weapons to help their fight.

The Russians are not to be trusted. This may be the only area that I agree with Biden on. I don't necessarily want Putin gone, just severely weakened. Some of the guys who might replace him are worse than him. As long as we aren't putting our troops over there, but still being a thorn in his side I'm good with keeping it up. We can implode him from within. Reagan did it by forcing an arms race that the Russians just couldn't keep up with. The combinations of economic sanctions and degrading his military without economic ways of increasing it continues to put pressure on Putin.

Republican nominees like Trump and DeSantis want to pull the plug on Ukraine help. That's a mistake. I don't want Biden back, his domestic economic policy is a disaster, but the republican front runners thoughts so far on Ukraine are not a policy that will be helpful in the long run to the United States. That needs to change. Biden's boss allowed Russia to go unchallenged into Georgia. A horrible mistake that republicans rightly called out at the time. I would hope their current leaders are not so obtuse that they really believe allowing Russia to go unchallenged and unpunished for their actions in the Ukraine is the right way to go. I won't ever vote for Biden, but I won't support any republican nominee that makes pulling all types of support for Ukraine their agenda.
One of the problems I have with this is Ukraine hasn’t really been a friend past the enemy of my enemy is my friend stage. If Russia hadn’t invaded them they’d probably be on a terrorism watch list. Now if we are going to outfit them with new toys, it should be things with some legs, capable getting to Moscow and making a real statement.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

DeSantis Fires a Dozen Staffers as Campaign Payroll Burn Rate Nears 30%, Meanwhile Two-Thirds of All Campaign Funds Come from Big Donors, 15% from Small Donors

There is a lot of granular dissection of the DeSantis campaign taking place as the music stops and the staff clamor for a chair.

Keep in mind, Donald Trump released his campaign fundraising details showing over a million small donors helped raise $35 million with an average contribution of $34.20. Small donors, that’s millions of middle class and working class MAGA folks, are the fuel for President Trump’s campaign.

According to the latest FEC filing [DATA HERE] the DeSantis campaign team took in $20.1 million, but burned through $7.9 million in just six weeks. This presents a major problem for the campaign, because over two-thirds of those contributions were from maxed-out donors who cannot contribute again. Only 15% of DeSantis campaign fundraising came from small donors.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Focus on the first part of DeSantis' answer—the part about how criminalizing political differences is wrong. Tapper didn't seize on that moment, but it would have been interesting to see him follow up by asking DeSantis how that position fits with the Florida governor's extensive track record of wielding the power of the state against those with whom he has political disagreements.

Indeed, the weaponization of the state against those on the political left is the central theme of DeSantis' entire campaign. He proudly boasts that Florida is "where woke goes to die," and has banned schools in Florida from teaching anything that state education bureaucrats might deem to be "critical race theory." Regardless of how he might define the terms "woke" and "critical race theory," there's no denying that his objections to them are purely political.

You could say the same thing about DeSantis' decision during the pandemic to ban private businesses from requiring that workers and customers wear masks. And about his ongoing feud with The Walt Disney Company, Florida's largest employer, which has accused DeSantis of orchestrating an unconstitutional "targeted campaign of government retaliation" after Disney's then-CEO, Bob Chapek, spoke out against DeSantis' so-called "Don't Say Gay" law, which banned discussions of gender identity in public elementary school classrooms (the law was later broadened to include most classrooms up to grade 12).

That's a political disagreement about another political disagreement—and in both cases, DeSantis has aimed to limit the free speech rights of his opponents. While that may not quite rise to the level of "criminalizing political differences," which is what DeSantis accused the Justice Department of doing, DeSantis clearly has no qualms about exercising state power in political fights.

22AcaciaAve

One of the problems I have with this is Ukraine hasn’t really been a friend past the enemy of my enemy is my friend stage. If Russia hadn’t invaded them they’d probably be on a terrorism watch list. Now if we are going to outfit them with new toys, it should be things with some legs, capable getting to Moscow and making a real statement.

I kind of get that. I don't think Ukraine is a terrorist nation on the same terms as Iran, Sudan, and some others, but they haven't exactly been an ally either. I think this was just an opportunity. An opportunity to do something similar to what Reagan did to Iran and Iraq. We supported Iraq, gave them some arms and some military intelligence to keep them and Iran at war. Let them both kill each other and degrade each other's military strength. Same thing here. We're not necessarily in it for Ukraine to win, but in it enough to beat the crap out of Russia and make sure whatever the outcome they are a militarily weakened nation.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
I kind of get that. I don't think Ukraine is a terrorist nation on the same terms as Iran, Sudan, and some others, but they haven't exactly been an ally either. I think this was just an opportunity. An opportunity to do something similar to what Reagan did to Iran and Iraq. We supported Iraq, gave them some arms and some military intelligence to keep them and Iran at war. Let them both kill each other and degrade each other's military strength. Same thing here. We're not necessarily in it for Ukraine to win, but in it enough to beat the crap out of Russia and make sure whatever the outcome they are a militarily weakened nation.
But we’re depleting our toy supply without backfilling it fast enough if something comes up fast. Yes we’ve got a lot of ICBM’s, but sometimes you need more flyswatter less hammer.