5 year old suspended for cap gun

Brocktune

Why?

Wow....I'm really glad you're not my parent...

Why? Because I support my kid's school and give them the benefit of the doubt until they give me a reason to do otherwise? It doesn't mean I don't support my children as well--I just don't think the two should be seen as mutually exclusive.

BlueBird

Cap guns are like a gateway drug. Today it's cap guns, tomorrow, or in the not so distant future it's AR-15's in study hall. I can't believe this little gun slinger isn't behind bars! :popcorn:

sockgirl77

Interesting...

TBN: Are school officials overreacting to toy guns?
Mom: I think we need to leave that up to the public.
Dad: I believe overreaction is absolutely a part of it and common sense is really another and policy is another. I mean you take a five-year with a toy cap gun and put that up against a teenager with ready, willing and able capabilities to cause harm—I think those are two very, very different ends of the spectrum.

Dowell E.S. parents: 'This didn't have to happen' - Southern Maryland News

Chris0nllyn

Calvert County’s schools chief reversed “in its entirety” the suspension of a 5-year-old boy who brought his cowboy-style cap gun onto a school bus and said the May incident will be cleared from the kindergartner’s records.

School Superintendent Jack R. Smith said in a letter dated Wednesday that his decision was based on information from officials at Dowell Elementary School in Lusby and from an appeal filed by the boy’s family. The letter, to the family’s attorney, says Smith reviewed the record, “carefully considering both the needs of the student and those of the school system.”

Calvert boy with toy cap gun won’t have record; suspension reversed - The Washington Post

sockgirl77

I am sure that the parents' ambulance chasing lawyer threatened to sue the CCPS.

“It is common for kindergartners to play Cowboys and Indians, Cops and Robbers or to bring things to Show and Tell,” the appeal said. “In any case, telling a little 5 year old something once or twice, is often not enough.”

I've had three 5 year olds. None of them played Cowboys and Indians or Cops and Robbers. This is 2013. Also, this was not Show and Tell. :rolleyes:

pebbles

I am sure that the parents' ambulance chasing lawyer threatened to sue the CCPS.

I've had three 5 year olds. None of them played Cowboys and Indians or Cops and Robbers. This is 2013. Also, this was not Show and Tell. :rolleyes:

I'm glad they reversed it. My son is 5 now & plays with toy guns all the time, good guys & bad guys & while he doesn't call it cops & robbers he is often a policeman catching the bad guys. Totally normal IMO & I agree that at age 5 they don't have a full understanding of all the rules & the impact that breaking one may have.

sockgirl77

I'm glad they reversed it. My son is 5 now & plays with toy guns all the time, good guys & bad guys & while he doesn't call it cops & robbers he is often a policeman catching the bad guys. Totally normal IMO & I agree that at age 5 they don't have a full understanding of all the rules & the impact that breaking one may have.

I do not think that he should have been suspended for 10 days, but he should have gotten in trouble. Rules are rules. However, they should have taken the cap gun away and alerted the parents that they could come pick it up. Regardless of his age, cap guns do not belong at school. Even in our day, our parents would have been called and we would have gotten in trouble at school for bringing a cap gun in.

pebbles

I do not think that he should have been suspended for 10 days, but he should have gotten in trouble. Rules are rules. However, they should have taken the cap gun away and alerted the parents that they could come pick it up. Regardless of his age, cap guns do not belong at school. Even in our day, our parents would have been called and we would have gotten in trouble at school for bringing a cap gun in.

Agreed, but the questioning & suspension was bogus. It should not have disrupted the school day much at all.

sockgirl77

Agreed, but the questioning & suspension was bogus. It should not have disrupted the school day much at all.

The questioning did not last as long as the parents said that it did. It was exaggerated. They probably asked him why he brought it to school and if his parents knew that he had it with them.